Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Saints

SCOOP said:
No longer good enough to just win. Must crush sides. That's good to great stuff.

Disappointing.

Yep. Its what separates the best from the rest.

Next three weeks will be interesting. Wont go close in any of em if we keep playing the way we have the past 3 weeks.

Good to get the win. We played well in the second and third quarters. The last was probably our worst for the season the Saints got hold of us on the spread. I don't think we will get away with Maric/Hampson as our second key forward very often. We should bring in Griffths and probably McBean next week to give us a better structure. Lennon did well and added something to our bottom few players.

A win is a win but that last quarter was hugely disappointing considering percentage is going to play a large part at the end of the season. Need to win 3 of last 7 now to most likely make it, 4 to be certain. To win one of next two games would be very handy.

SCOOP said:
No longer good enough to just win. Must crush sides. That's good to great stuff.

Disappointing.

At this stage in our progression to contenders, I'm more than happy to just win. Win sexy, win ugly, win when we shouldn't, win despite ourselves.

That's all we need to do.

Can take the 4 points away from this game and very little else, other than the lesson that the game is not over until the final siren, no matter how far in front the team is. Mind you that can also work the other way and is a message to us that we shouldn't ever consider a game lost or won until the last minute.

Just want to know as to what happened in that quarter from those who were there or watching?

As I wasn't at the game when a colleague told me the score at 3/4 time a part of me of said here comes % and the side if me that knows Richmond was thinking we may hold on and win a close one.

That's what eventuated! So what happened in the last?

- Lazy
- St Kilda wanted it more
- Just went through the motions and were thinking Freo next week and were in self preservation mode.
- Stopped doing the things we did in the 3/4
- Did St Kildas speed catch us as it opened up

What was the catalyst for St Kikda fighting back?

We certainly can't play like that next week or against the Hawks, as most have stated.

Worrying that we can't just punish and put the foot down and thrash sides.

Win win game.

4 points and enough for the half full camp.

and

Plenty to load up on the chook truck for the others.

Lennon and donuts played well

and

Newey still out there and it took way to long for supper coach to pull the correct lever.

IMO...
  • We switched off at 3/4 time. Last 10 min of third Q, saints looked shocked and done. We thought we had them.
  • Saints brought a new vigour to last Q (Riewoldt rev up before the team broke to start last Q?)
  • They got 2 very soft goals very rapidly, courtesy of our poor skills in back half
  • Crowd got going
  • We confused ourselves over who each player was playing on. Unmarked saints common in their FF
  • Lots of our kids seemed to get the ball and stuff up

Ridley said:
Dunno about that. The first quarter was pretty ordinary as well. The Saints seemed to dominate possession in the past 10 minutes of that quarter but couldn't impact on the scoreboard.

The positive is that we won with 2 quarters of footy. The negative is our continual mental lapses and refusal to put the foot on throat of an opposition at our mercy.

Still really lack that killer instinct that top sides have. Until we get that we will only be making up the numbers in finals.

Had to expect they were going to be competitive for at least some of the game. I don't think their younger players are much chop as a group, but they play with the enthusiasm of youth and their attitude is great.

Think Hardwick's about managing players and having something in hand for next week. Don't think that was the cause of our fadeout today, but think it contributes to us not flogging sides very often.

Don't want to reach the finals with an empty tank like last year.

Yeah wasn't a great win like it has been the last month. The positive is we are winning with at least 4-5 non contributors if we can stay injury free the likes of Edwards Griffiths Vickery Knights Conca can only make us stronger

We have a long injury list, not our real stars thankfully but plenty of players who'd improve us.

If somebody said after the Freo game we'd win 4/5 while adding Hampson, Gordon, McDonough, Lambert, Lennon & Newman to the team, I'd have taken it.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
We have a long injury list, not our real stars thankfully but plenty of players who'd improve us.

If somebody said after the Freo game we'd win 4/5 while adding Hampson, Gordon, McDonough, Lambert, Lennon & Newman to the team, I'd have taken it.

Most of those have only played 1 or 2 games out of the 5 though. We've been fortunate that our best dozen or so ( until Edwards last week) have been able to keep fit.

SCOOP said:

Disappointing.
No doubt but our depth is being tested. For the first 2 or 3 centre bounces in the last quarter we had Lambert, McDonough and Hampson. Third string midfield. Then up forward we had a lumbering ruck in Maric. He was spent.

If anything it took Hardwick too long to bring Gordon on for some added run. But the problem was further compounded by keeping both Hampson and Maric on.

tigerlove said:
Most of those have only played 1 or 2 games out of the 5 though. We've been fortunate that our best dozen or so ( until Edwards last week) have been able to keep fit.

Yep, but we still got the points. The team against Melbourne contained Gordon, McDonough, Drummond, Lloyd, Arnot, Astbury and couldn't get it done.

8 of the last 9 including 4/5 against the top eight opposition teams is a pretty good effort. Not sure there's a lot of improvement left though.

antman said:
Clocking off boys thanks for the feedback.

Taraba no hard feelings mate, I know we are all passionate in our own way.
For sure! Agree. It was just so bad watching that last quarter sitting around Sains fans with ants in their pants!