Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Hawks

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Lots of early departures while I was still nervous as hell.
It was bizarre watching them leave early. They reminded me of Geelong supporters at the cattery, very angsty all game. It was like how dare we upset them. I had great pleasure yelling as some were getting up to leave - sit down I can't see ! Wonderful night!

An awesome effort by the Tigers, credit to Dimma and coaching staff for a well-conceived and executed plan. Incredible to think that in three quarters, we held the Hawks to just 2 goals 8 behinds. It was only in the second quarter where the Hawks were on top.

Love lambert...he is revealing his qualities week by week...reminds of what it was like watching miles last year and realign we had a potential outstanding gun coming through...he has slotted into the midfeild like a glove ......and geee the lennon kid did some great stuff to...

The tackling pressure was fantastic, we hung off a bit the when they got the pill closed in and hammered them with pace and force

This was easily the greatest performance by a Richmond side in the modern era. By light years.
I've said this before.... no RFC side has EVER produced 4Qs of modern finals like GF WINNING level intensity... Until now.

ToraToraTora said:
This was easily the greatest performance by a Richmond side in the modern era. By light years.
I've said this before.... no RFC side has EVER produced 4Qs of modern finals like GF WINNING level intensity... Until now.

I'll admit I'm a jaded Tiger supporter. I love them but I can sniff a false dawn in a heart beat and I have been right every time. This looks different.

Why both last and this years early poor form was heartbreaking is we finally had the talent on the park, but we still were horrible - it was like the club genuinely was never going to succeed irrespective of the team we put out.

We were a genuine quality football team last night. The game was played like a final and we beat the best team in the comp. Our players stood up and our game plan held up.

It has been said more than once that we have modelled our rebuild on Geelong. I remember Geelong's heartbreaking and unexpected losses in successive finals campaigns before they had a belated break through into the super team / club that won three flags.

There is a glimmer that we can at least echo some of that success - even a small portion will do me fine. I'm not greedy - one flag will do.

Tigers of Old said:
This.
Our pressure last night was off the charts for 4 quarters.
It was near the perfect game. IT was the perfect game.
So much belief comes from a win like that.

Yes that win should give us plenty of belief
A fantastic performance
Some great individual performances thought Cotchins leadership was sensational

All I have wanted is improvement YIYO. To see we are heading in the right direction. Half way through last year I was pretty despondent that we were foolong ourselves. Now 20 out of our last 26 is a different scenario. Beating Freo in Freo. Spotting Sydney 5 goals start and swarming them in the second half up there. Should have beaten Freo last week, one that got away. Last night. Outstanding. Against a full strength Hawks outfit who are still flag favourites. 4 full quarters of sustained pressure footy against the competitions yardstick. Also beat the Pies earlier in the year, a team we have struggled to beat for 7-8 years as they had us mentally. Hope Dimma is right when he said last weeks loss would "be the making of this football side".

Had a little bit of a lapse in the 2nd when the Hawks outscored us, but we didn't buckle and give in and it took a dodgy free to Rioli to give them the narrow lead at half time.

I just didn't think, even if we were playing well, that we could keep so many of their forwards shut down, and shut out.

Was the type of game where our bottom six just couldn't hide and for the first time - they didn't. Woohoo.

challenge now is to back that up right to September. The bar has been set, the standard set. no more Melbourne/Dogs effort games. The sky is the limit.

It is a long long time since I have seen a Richmond team tackle like last night. It was brilliant and hope it sets the tone for the rest of the season and the finals.

Interesting game plan that Dimma employed last night. It was the old Soccer trick, park the bus in front of their goal and give your striker all the space he needs to go to work. Substitute Lionel Messi with Brett Deledio and you've got a plan.

Great win by the team and yes it is always nice to send a group of arrogant supporters home with the sooky la las. I suppose someone will be doing this to us in a couple of years when we just expect it to happen.

graystar1 said:
It is a long long time since I have seen a Richmond team tackle like last night. It was brilliant and hope it sets the tone for the rest of the season and the finals.

We will be very hard to beat if we continue to have 2 and 3 men in the tackle, it was outstanding.