Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Crows

Re: Game Day

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Crows seemed to use the "uncomfortable" comments after the Hawthorn win as motivation. No way were we going to waltz into Adelaide and push them around. After the siren, Walker hesitated just long enough when describing Richmond as "a great team" to give away his disdain.

Dimma may be coming up against the remnants of 30-odd years of spotty culture.

Agree.

When you talk tough it's only natural for your opponents to want to prove they're tougher. We should have been more prepared for this and motivated the players accordingly.

We had two pathways we could have taken:

1. Consolidate our aura of toughness, which is a very rare opportunity the media affords anyone

2. We don't, and the perception returns to "same old Richmond of the past 30 years".

It's not even the loss I'm most disappointed about, it's the fact we've confirmed everyone's thoughts that little has changed at Tigerland. Make no mistake, we had a massive opportunity to change perceptions about us this week. I know some people don't care about outside perceptions, but I think perceptions and auras affect opposition player behaviour. Traditionally, we've had the game lost before the first bounce, while Hawthorn can have the game won before the first bounce. That's all to do with perceptions and auras, and it's rare the football world is open to changing their mind. That's what disappoints me the most from last night.

antman said:
There are questions because we are Richmond, and Richmond fans will doubt the coach - well forever.

Good teams lose games. We are still developing. Let's not have a mass panic attack.

Oh too late, we have.

Saying there are question marks about a coach is hardly panicking.
It's a performance based industry ant.
Hardwick is still yet to win a final. We're yet to show that we can beat teams when the expectation is on us to win.
These are legitimate questions of a coach who's been at the helm for several seasons. Otherwise we can just stick our heads up our asses and smell the roses.

From before the first bounce the impression I got, watching tellie, was that unlike our last game, we had gone from being the hunters to the hunted. As Carter (I think) said, we need to get the mind right so that we are always the hunters ala Sydney, Hawks and Bris/ Geelong from years gone past. Once we can get that mindset... set, I think the efforts of last night will recede into the dark places of our minds.

Tigers of Old said:
Saying there are question marks about a coach is hardly panicking.
It's a performance based industry ant.
Hardwick is still yet to win a final. We're yet to show that we can beat teams when the expectation is on us to win.
These are legitimate questions of a coach who's been at the helm for several seasons. Otherwise we can just stick our heads up our asses and smell the roses.

He's been there for six years actually TOO - remember when he took us from the basket-case days of Terry Wallace, with a stinking list, to competitiveness and now to the cusp of the top four.

Questions are fine, but its still amazing to me that we can win 20 from 27, and go from beating the red-hot premiership favourites last week to immediately getting our knickers in a tizz because we lost a game.

In a performance based industry one looks at trends rather individual results. Otherwise you keep changing coaches and delisting players and never get anywhere.

antman said:
Questions are fine, but its still amazing to me that we can win 20 from 27, and go from beating the red-hot premiership favourites last week to immediately getting our knickers in a tizz because we lost a game.

We've lost 2 out of the last 3. Top 4 chances are gone. Top 8 spot not even assured.

Tigers of Old said:
We've lost 2 out of the last 3. Top 4 chances are gone. Top 8 spot not even assured.

By all means get your knickers in a tizz then ToO. It takes a bit more than that to get me all hot and flustered, but then I'm not usually considered an excitable type.

antman said:
By all means get your knickers in a tizz then ToO. It takes a bit more than that to get me all hot and flustered, but then I'm not usually considered an excitable type.

Its going to take a few seasons of winning against sides we are expected to beat (and demolishing sides we are clearly better than) before this sentiment changes. We are not there yet but it looks like it's slowly changing.

Jason King said:
Its going to take a few seasons of winning against sides we are expected to beat (and demolishing sides we are clearly better than) before this sentiment changes. We are not there yet but it looks like it's slowly changing.

I generally take only this season's form into consideration before going apeshit when we have a loss, but I understand why others are mentally scarred and can't adjust :hihi

It was a shitty day at the office no doubt. They were just harder, stronger at the ball and man then us all game. Not particularly worried as I thought yesterdays game was always a danger one coming off a fairly good period for us. I still think a lot of people overrate the boys. We are no better, at the moment, then a bottom of the eight side tops. We still should make finals but other than that we won't go far at all this year imo. We still have too many passengers and one way runners when things don't go our way, we lack another grunt player around clearances, we have a major hole at CHF, we need another classy HF/FP and another good running HBF. Our Ruck stocks are average (Ivan is a warrior but a very slow one at that).

I'm sure the club knows where we need to gain players in and they've slowly been getting there over the past several years. This, to me, looks like a slow build but with sustainability in the front of their minds so when we get to the point of being a consistent challenger (ala Hawks, Sydney, Freo, Geelong(in the past) we will be around that mark for a number of years. Just my opinion of course.

from the outset last night the 'grunt' was missing from everything. we had a real dull vibe. why wouldn't we go in with the same mindset as we did with the Hawks?

We spent the week on Denis Pagan's infamous Media St, lost a barometer and a bloody good player at that, and then most of our top end talent had a night. If we're any good at all, and our record seems to suggest that we kind of are, then we'll bounce back hard and make the Gold Coast pay for what happened last night.

antman said:
I generally take only this season's form into consideration before going apesh!t when we have a loss, but I understand why others are mentally scarred and can't adjust :hihi

What's there to adjust to?

Hows this season any different to last years? I don't see it. We won however many in a row last year after a horrid start and this year all we have done is win some games in a row in spurts .

No doubt the pressure cooker is on.Tifers need not only to make finals BUT need to win one.
Heaven help if they don't. .

WesternTiger said:
Reported today on SEN that the flu had gone right through the club for what it is worth.

Quite obvious going by the lethargic moves last night. At least we play next Sunday with 2 days extra for recovery.

Watching last night i did wonder how many may have been effected by the flu but not to the extent that kept Lids out. May explain some of the below par performances, especially Rance & Jack.

tassiedave said:
Watching last night i did wonder how many may have been effected by the flu but not to the extent that kept Lids out. May explain some of the below par performances, especially Rance & Jack.

Both looked completely out of sorts. Jack's legs looked like concrete while Rance just looked spaced-out a lot of the time. Airline food?

tassiedave said:

I have no doubt it affected the team. It just wasn't a very Richmond like performance. I don't think we've been flogged like that in contested ball and clearances for a long, long time. And we had basically the same cattle in the midfield as the previous week. 151 contested to 119, 49 clearances to 28. Adelaide are good in those stats anyway (1st and 2nd in the league) but that was a thrashing.