Freo Crowd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Freo Crowd

saigon tiger said:
Cant work out why anyone would want Hawthorn to win. Dont you get sick of the same team winning year after year. How about Freo never won a flag. I will always follow the underdog if the mighty tiges aren't there. The crowd is feral in Perth though I've been to a few state of origin games there. Brawls and all.

Generally don't mind when a non-Victorian team wins because the vast majority of their supporters live "over there" and it makes for a peaceful summer. If it has to be a Victorian team, Hawthorn's the best option because their supporters are slightly jaded by success and don't feel the need to shout from the rooftops.

I only know two West Coast supporters, both reasonable when it comes to footy, but there seems to be some genuine bitterness towards Richmond among them on the forums for whatever reason. The Eagles never bothered me much, but I may just barrack for Hawthorn next week.

The broadcast really highlighted everything that is Fremantle, I've been to plenty of games in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne and nothing and I mean nothing comes even close to a Fremantle home game for everything that is unsavoury, it's not a bit of banter, it's not a bit of fun, it's just a complete lack of respect, a lack of common courtesy and flat out nastiness. In 2012 when my then 8 year old son got abused for cheering, as much as I wanted to introduce my fist to the persons face, I thought "Nope, that's me done" I won't go to a Freo home game again, but there had been many incidences prior to that and it's not just the young, it's the middle aged, the oldies as well, it's something they have engrained in them. Now hate is a word that as you get older you realise you shouldn't use, especially when describing people, but I can honestly say I hate them and I love seeing them in misery!

MB78 said:
I hope the person who did the crime gets appropriately punished and that Freo and the AFL ban that football thug for life.
How do you do this?
You can not ban someone for life or even a week.

Certainly is the Wild West. While all clubs have good bad and ugly fans those in the west seem to have gone to another level with the ugly and the entire fan base is being tarnished by it.

22nd Man said:
Not like us jump in the fence and shirt fronting opponents.
If we ever get to a prelim again I'm going to be like those freo fans. Never seen a final decided on fan ethics.

Let's just agree to disagree then because I ain't.

22nd Man said:
Not like us jump in the fence and shirt fronting opponents.
If we ever g, et to a prelim again I'm going to be like those freo fans. Never seen a final decided on fan ethics.

Does your lack of ethics include hitting a woman in the face? Sorry but your comment is childish, going to the footy is about camaraderie, not violence or foul language or verbal aggression. The footy is for everyone, not just people like you who think you have a right to air your passion in any way you see fit. Have some respect and common courtesy. I hope I don't have the misfortune of sitting near you at a game.

Go Toigs! said:
Does your lack of ethics include hitting a woman in the face? Sorry but your comment is childish, going to the footy is about camaraderie, not violence or foul language or verbal aggression. The footy is for everyone, not just people like you who think you have a right to air your passion in any way you see fit. Have some respect and common courtesy. I hope I don't have the misfortune of sitting near you at a game.
I think Benny Gale expressed it perfectly in his tweet on it.

he simply tweeted "weak p.... "

nice crowd last night. good to see some respect for the game and players who provide us with such great entertainment.

Tigermad2005 said:
How do you do this?
You can not ban someone for life or even a week.

Yes you can. You identify who they are, you talk to them, you ban them, their name goes on a list at the the ground. If they do manage to sneak in generally someone will dob them in. Fans are banned from Euro soccer games all the time.

Talon said:
The broadcast really highlighted everything that is Fremantle, I've been to plenty of games in Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne and nothing and I mean nothing comes even close to a Fremantle home game for everything that is unsavoury, it's not a bit of banter, it's not a bit of fun, it's just a complete lack of respect, a lack of common courtesy and flat out nastiness. In 2012 when my then 8 year old son got abused for cheering, as much as I wanted to introduce my fist to the persons face, I thought "Nope, that's me done" I won't go to a Freo home game again, but there had been many incidences prior to that and it's not just the young, it's the middle aged, the oldies as well, it's something they have engrained in them. Now hate is a word that as you get older you realise you shouldn't use, especially when describing people, but I can honestly say I hate them and I love seeing them in misery!

Well written, when I lived in Perth I went to many a game with a mate to watch Freo.
Wow wee a great insight in not what to do at a football game.
What I saw in a couple of instances last night didn't surprise me at all.

I've seen a bit of footage on the net today. I've also seen better behaved people at the Bribie Island pub at 2 am on a Saturday. What ever happened to banter? Now it's just straight to "I'll smash you. *smile*

WesternTiger said:
Certainly is the Wild West. While all clubs have good bad and ugly fans those in the west seem to have gone to another level with the ugly and the entire fan base is being tarnished by it.

Been to Perth a couple of times.
Have to say the drug culture there is worse then Melbourne and Sydney.
Gold Cost has its issues too.

WesternTiger said:

Good call. If they're not careful, soon enough the AFL will do something like put fences up.

Whilst I think what I saw last night was absolutely disgusting, I've been to AAMI park v Adelaide and leave at half time such was the vitriol I experienced by ferals there. I also have experienced disgusting things at Geelong in the early 90's which made me so pissed of that I left at three quarter time. Some people leave their morals at the gate when going through the gates. They obviously think it is a free for all cause they pay their money to go see a game of football. Unfortunately this seems to reflect general society now.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Generally don't mind when a non-Victorian team wins because the vast majority of their supporters live "over there" and it makes for a peaceful summer. If it has to be a Victorian team, Hawthorn's the best option because their supporters are slightly jaded by success and don't feel the need to shout from the rooftops.

I only know two West Coast supporters, both reasonable when it comes to footy, but there seems to be some genuine bitterness towards Richmond among them on the forums for whatever reason. The Eagles never bothered me much, but I may just barrack for Hawthorn next week.

Clearly you don't know some of the Hawthorn supporters I do!

All clubs have examples of bad crowds. They are a low percentage but still bad.

Last night the cases involving the women being hit, the Issac Smith and Luke Breust looked really bad on TV and should have being thrown out.

Unsure what was going in Perth yesterday whether it was the combination of heat, alcohol and high stress but there was 100 People thrown out when normally there is 10.

Extreme disappointment I would say. They finished on top. More than any other, this was a Prelim, indeed a premiership, they were expecting to win.

One of the lasting memories of walking home with my wife from the 1995 finals win over Essendon was a fellow tiger fan outside the ground who exclaied that he wanted celebrate the win by "punching in the head of a bombers fan."

I suggested a more peaceful manner of celebrating, held my wife's hand and walked politely to the other side of the road.

We all have them.

But for those who have described their Perth experiences, I lived there for a couple of years and I concur, they are diabolical. Freo and Eagles fans, it doesn't matter, it's the city, not the teams.