Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

LOL

Only in Lefty world do digital "clicks" count as readership.

Here are the print media figures.

HSun readership is 40% more than The Age!
That's a flogging in any arena.

Even The Australian has almost the same readership (as The Age)....and it is thrashing the Financial Review.

....and the SMH is only 10% ahead of the Daily Telegraph.

Courier Mail in QLD is 87% of the State's readership.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the Australian people." P.T. Murdoch.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL

Only in Lefty world do digital "clicks" count as readership.

Here are the print media figures.

HSun readership is 40% more than The Age!
That's a flogging in any arena.

Even The Australian has almost the same readership (as The Age)....and it is thrashing the Financial Review.

....and the SMH is only 10% ahead of the Daily Telegraph.

Courier Mail in QLD is 87% of the State's readership.

If you think measuring digital audiences is as simple as logging "clicks", you're back in about 1993.

All mastheads get the vast majority of their readers, and therefore advertising dollars, from their digital products. The big publishers subscribe to a sophisticated audience measuring service (emma). While print audiences continue to fall (News Limited's at a faster rate than Nine's), digital audiences continue to grow.

As of June 2020, The Age's total audience is 25% greater than the Herald Sun's. In Sydney, the SMH has more than double the audience of the Daily Telegraph.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't listen to 3AW since the rex days.
But Tim lane has been steering the ship of hate on there. Apprantly he was saying that indiscipline was Similiar to the Australian cricket team *not sure I've seen us rub sand paper on the sherrin.
But it all came crashing down on the weekend.
They had Sheedy on and Lane reference our discipline to going over board and Sheedy replied what exactly have they done wrong? A couple of 50's and a couple of high tackles.
Richmond play the most attractive style in the comp the rest playing a boring brand .

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
But Tim lane has been steering the ship of hate on there. Apprantly he was saying that indiscipline was Similiar to the Australian cricket team *not sure I've seen us rub sand paper on the sherrin.
They had Sheedy on and Lane reference our discipline to going over board and Sheedy replied what exactly have they done wrong? A couple of 50's and a couple of high tackles.
Richmond play the most attractive style in the comp the rest playing a boring brand .
BANG!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Did Blue Timmy have a response?

It's because the site keeps crashing, I've tried 3 times to get on and it just gives you the "this site is experiencing technical issues, please try again later"
Just keep on trying. I'm sure KRudd appreciates your efforts to put your name to a meaningless attempt to keep himself in the spotlight.

I love Sheedy
Your welcome back any day Brother Sheedy.
Tim lane suck dog *smile*, you Carlton flog.
Matthews who watched Lynch and Brown every 2nd week throw punches and a bloke that was taken to court for an incident during a game. He should just his shut his mouth.

Reactions: 5 users
How about good ol' Ralph Malph? He's written an article this morning about De Goey's contract situation. In his opinion he is not worth $800K pa which I agree with. He then goes on to say that he has only had one top 10 B&F finish which was a return of 48 goals in the 2018 premiership season!!!!!o_Oo_O

The quality of AFL "journalism" continues to stagger..............................

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
How about good ol' Ralph Malph? He's written an article this morning about De Goey's contract situation. In his opinion he is not worth $800K pa which I agree with. He then goes on to say that he has only had one top 10 B&F finish which was a return of 48 goals in the 2018 premiership season!!!!!o_Oo_O

The quality of AFL "journalism" continues to stagger..............................

Funny how they still have 15 flags, the same number as before 2018.

On the newspaper discussion above, it is all a bit strange these days but 2 things: traditionally the tabloids massively outsold the broadsheets in Sydney and Melbourne, If The Age and the SMH are even close to the Hun and the Tele then they have massively lost market share. Also, the Australian has never had the market share in Melbourne it has in other capital cities so I doubt it is very big in Melbourne.

DS

Did Blue Timmy have a response?

I reckon Sheedy knew it was lane.
And becuase that and his Carlton back ground, Sheedy unleashed.
He got one in the balls.
Im not sure what's Caro's issue.
She needs to shut up and stop with bringing up things that happened 10 weeks ago.
$50 Bucks she brings up Cotchins wife up and the boys who got suspended tonight.

Seems so obvious to me that it shouldn't need saying. But I'm glad Sheedy said it.

Even Robbo has had a moment of clarity.

WHY THE BASHING OF RICHMOND?

This PC world we live in is invading the football field. It seems the nice people who follow football want Richmond to play nice football. Yes, they play on edge, and Trent Cotchin and Tom Lynch have been the focus since Friday night’s win over St Kilda, but so what? As Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW on Saturday, you’d rather play edgy football than soft football. Richmond was the darling team in 2018, the respected team in 2019, and are probably the most despised team in 2020. Again, so what? The “unsociable’’ Hawks were praised for their ruthless attitude and actions through their glorious three-peat, yet, strangely, the Tigers are being heavily criticised for employing the same hard-nosed attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
most despised team in 2020? About time some one in the media has admitted it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I actually think she makes a fair point. $750 fine for an incident given the money they're on is outrageous,
probably right BUT she IS being a tad disingenuous , the fine was $400 but she challenged in writing & they settled on $700.

BTW, the charge was for a kicking incident.

Fines for the general public aren't means tested so why should they be in sport

Reactions: 1 user
On the newspaper discussion above, it is all a bit strange these days but 2 things: traditionally the tabloids massively outsold the broadsheets in Sydney and Melbourne, If The Age and the SMH are even close to the Hun and the Tele then they have massively lost market share. Also, the Australian has never had the market share in Melbourne it has in other capital cities so I doubt it is very big in Melbourne.
An observation on the recent history of our largest and most influential mastheads. News has actively steered the Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and, to a lesser degree, The Australian, to an ever-greater conservatism (in both a political and social sense). Here in Melbourne, the old Sun was known as the working man's paper and was relatively apolitical.

I don't particularly care about that -- people are free to consume whatever content suits them (although I reckon getting your news from a range of sources is generally helpful; existing in an echo chamber where you struggle to entertain new ideas is a fast-track to a stunted intellect).

No, the most intriguing characteristic of these three News mastheads is they've become brazenly partisan. It's one thing to put a political and/or social lens across your reportage; quite another to openly barrack for a narrow set of ideas.

Given my job (advertising), I'm purely interested in reaching the right market with the right message for the right sum of money, so the numbers drive my decision making. As a general comment, I find News's editorial position perplexing. It caters for an older demographic and a less progressive outlook, which seems out of step with our profile as a nation and is not where the advertising dollars are. But moreover, it is the 'you're either with us or you're not' parochialism that doesn't seem like it will unlock audience growth.

That said, appealing to peoples' biases with breathless zealotry is entirely up to News and good luck to them.

Disclosure: I subscribe to the Herald Sun, The Age and Foxtel.

Reactions: 7 users
Seems so obvious to me that it shouldn't need saying. But I'm glad Sheedy said it.

This PC world we live in is invading the football field. It seems the nice people who follow football want Richmond to play nice football. Yes, they play on edge, and Trent Cotchin and Tom Lynch have been the focus since Friday night’s win over St Kilda, but so what? As Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW on Saturday, you’d rather play edgy football than soft football. Richmond was the darling team in 2018, the respected team in 2019, and are probably the most despised team in 2020. Again, so what? The “unsociable’’ Hawks were praised for their ruthless attitude and actions through their glorious three-peat, yet, strangely, the Tigers are being heavily criticised for employing the same hard-nosed attitude.
Amazing! What a change of tune! Is it his "medication" that produces his erratic pronouncements.

Or was it getting shot down by Nick Vlastuin on twitter Saturday morning after offensively suggesting he was a cheat over the touched goal incident?

PS - Realise some people may not know so could be puzzled not finding it, but Robbo took his post down after Floss torpedoed him. Just came back to add.

Last edited:

We arent any where near hawthorn.
Have we had a player/players suspended NO.
Lewis Kod Goldstein
Hodge elbowed Swallow
Campbell punched a Essendon player in the face.
Hodge rammed Wingard into the point post.
Don't compare us to them

Just caught the back end of some callers on Dwayne’s show .

One caller called saying Cotchin had tackled 4 players Friday’s game similar to the Jones tackle. Saying could have broken Jones neck and should have got suspended.

Dwayne went into back for Cotch.

I’ve turned in my thinking of Dwayne Russell. Something isn’t right with me...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

How about Tim Lane (I think) backtracking immediately and saying the question was more generic and not Richmond specific? They are all so spineless - it is embarrassing to see.

Reactions: 4 users