Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

I wanna know why we are so despised by the media as Robbo points out?
Clickbait. Negativity sells. If the media write an article praising how good Richmond are, only Richmond supporters would be interested in it. If they instead write a negative article about us, it will appeal to 17 other club supporters instead. Just as we love a negative article about an opposition club (see the Essendon thread).

We are copping it more than others because we are the biggest club in the AFL and have been the most dominant over the last few years. Opposition supporters would therefore love to see our fall. Its not that surprising.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it just me been bias to the best Skip on the planet , however his high tackle on the PTG Jones was nothing more then that , a high tackle ? The morons of the talkback world want him executed

• Angry
I think the AFL media feel like we have cheated them, we haven't played to their script and now we're the arseholes who won't do what is expected.

Winning 17 was like the Doggies 16. Romantic feel good story for long suffering fans. Like the Doggies, it was out of the blue and no way sustainable as far as they were concerned.

We dropped out of the Prelim in 18, much to the original script. 19 we dared stay relevant and make the Grand Final. It started to turn. We shouldn't be there. And it's was GWS's turn for a fairytale.

We smashed them. Media not happy. We've dared to be dominant again in 20 despite having 2 bad injuries early on, then two key players staying away for family reasons. Media was happy to write us off.

But no, we're still here and scaring the living *smile* out of any team who has to play us. We're bad guys now. Bullies refusing to follow the script. We're making everyone who wrote us off look silly and they are trying to get back at us for doing that.

*smile*'em

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Just caught the back end of some callers on Dwayne’s show .

One caller called saying Cotchin had tackled 4 players Friday’s game similar to the Jones tackle. Saying could have broken Jones neck and should have got suspended.

Dwayne went into back for Cotch.

I’ve turned in my thinking of Dwayne Russell. Something isn’t right with me...
Although he spent the entire show pumping up Danger.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
My take below is an attempt at a broader historic view while fully agreeing with Baloo above for his more contemporary context. I actually drafted this much earlier in the year but decided not to post at the time. Thought many would think I got carried away. But it's Monday with several days before our next date with destiny. I trust if it's off target, it will be ignored, and fine with that:

We have to simply face it. The media is full of commentators who are at best ignorant often, about our club and players. Or, if not ignorant, resentful of our recent success which was so unexpected because it came from nowhere (2016). But once we won the '17 flag, some had to 'tolerate' us since it was just such a great story, with our huge, jubilant following after a 37 year drought (sold heaps of papers and online hits etc). We were an enormous story - THE story for '17 into '18.

However, the expectation is that we would be another 'flash in the pan' success, like the Doggies. Then the rightful AFL powers would quickly re-establish control and dominance. They only had to put up with our fluky flag for one/two years before we would disappear back into the oblivion where we belonged.

But we haven't gone away but instead, have maintained ascendancy right through to being an unexpected threat again in '20, despite being written off by the high-profile commentators like Lloyd and Cornes.

Those 37 years of false hopes, of being lost in the wilderness, meant very few Richmond heroes were around to move on to lasting media careers when talking about the ex-player ranks. After the great Jack Dyer, who has there been? Tommy Hafey, our great coaching doyen was a respected voice if very old school but had (lesser) affiliations to the Pies and Cats too, but never had a major media role IMO, a special comments man on match-days mostly. I can't remember many others.

In current times, there's the very Colonwood-aligned turncoat, BT, Nathan Brown who is half-bulldog too but more of a gambling company rep. Then, there's Richo, our legendary ex-champion whose great career was marred by not even the one flag which he deserved. So he has just been slotted in under that category. Much loved and admired, highly popular, but flawed temperamentally and the keystone player of a dismally failed club. He's now more feted on CH.7 for his occasional on-field tantrums rather than his amazing football in mostly inadequate sides.

Overall outcome: the commentariat consists of a wide range of ex-players from eras where RFC was the model of the failed, comically-inept club. This might be why Richo is so ingratiating on TV. Although still so likable and often with discerning observations, he seems to start from an inferior position to the mostly successful ex-players with prominent profiles. Although Nick Riewoldt is somewhat similar, yet he got much closer to flag success than our great.

Of the non-player media, I can only think of Caro who I think does a pretty good job overall. Despite no longer a FT journo, she still has quite a profile with TV shows and regular, select print articles. She keeps a lot of the big heads in the AFL world honest without fear or favour, including Eddie. She isn't afraid to have a go at someone she believes is out of line, no matter who they are. She, in turn, cops it back, defends herself ably or cops it on the chin if deserved. But she is not exactly the RFC loyalist who will celebrate our success without being excessive, and defend, or criticize us, as merited. She is a media animal (to succeed as a woman in this testosterone-driven field that is AFL and survive so long) who will jump on board prevailing narratives to maintain relevance and topicality, as she has with 'the Tigers are arrogant bullies' one currently. Her strong point is AFL politics, not actual football where she throws to the ex-players, then accedes them credibility with little challenge.

Overall, the media is saturated by those who have little or no warmth or respect for RFC still, I believe.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Saturday morning online news headlines were (all separate articles) - 1) Cotchin should get reported. 2) Lynch should get reported. 3) Richmond play dirty. 4) AFL doesn't apply same rules to Dusty for not pinging him for incorrect disposal when he picked ball up at same time as Bolton. 5) Saints robbed by goal umpire. 6) And then finally at bottom of page, Tigers beat Saints. A perfect example of what the media has unfortunately become and why I rarely bother any more.

• Angry
Reactions: 12 users
Although he spent the entire show pumping up Danger.
Same with Cornes. Heard him earlier saying he is the best player and that was the best performance in a final he has seen for some time.

I’m banned but I wanted to ring or send a sms and say Cornes, Dusty’s 6 in last years final against Brisbane wasn’t bad.

Short memories when it comes to our players & team it seems.

Attachments

• ED51BDE0-1D7B-45E9-89E1-CEFD699552CB.jpeg
    ED51BDE0-1D7B-45E9-89E1-CEFD699552CB.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Saturday morning online news headlines were (all separate articles) - 1) Cotchin should get reported. 2) Lynch should get reported. 3) Richmond play dirty. 4) AFL doesn't apply same rules to Dusty for not pinging him for incorrect disposal when he picked ball up at same time as Bolton. 5) Saints robbed by goal umpire. 6) And then finally at bottom of page, Tigers beat Saints. A perfect example of what the media has unfortunately become and why I rarely bother any more.

Name a game we have won when there hasn't been an headline about not about the result.
We beat WC, Healy is complaining on Aw and OTC that NitNat should've got free kicks.
The Essendon win, about Lynch
The GC win, about Lynch
The Geelong, Hawkins rushed his snap.

Reactions: 3 users
It seems like the ex players are largely getting sick of the Richmond bashing that many of the journalists are indulging in now.

Is it just me been bias to the best Skip on the planet , however his high tackle on the PTG Jones was nothing more then that , a high tackle ? The morons of the talkback world want him executed

I played a lot of footy, as I guess many on this site did & probably some still do. During that time I laid a lot of tackles & I can tell you plenty of them were "too high" & all of them were accidental. You can tackle a bloke around the shoulders & it can slip up or down, a lot of blokes use training oil to keep them warm or their muscles loose, this can also affect your grip.
You can also try to tackle a bloke & he tries to avoid it or drops his knees "like a certain Geelol Captain", there are so many variables that it's just funny. It's not as if the bloke being tackled is standing waiting like a crash test dummy.
These nongs who are complaining have probably never played the game & should shut the "smile" up, or should or maybe go & try playing a game & see how difficult it can be to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
"They" were happy for us to pinch one a la the Dogs. But not ready or liking our sustained success.

Reactions: 6 users
"They" were happy for us to pinch one a la the Dogs. But not ready or liking our sustained success.
They thought we were finished after 2017.
They weren't ready for another 3 years of YELLOW & BLACK

Reactions: 1 user
Granted Dangerfield is a great player and the commentators drool over him and he dominated last match in what turned out to be a no pressure training run....but where was he in the second half of last years prelim. when they needed him. Has not got such a great record in the super high prssure crunch situations....wheras Martin....

Dangerfield had a massive game so no problem with them bigging him up. Let's see what he does next week in a real final.

Reactions: 4 users
Seems so obvious to me that it shouldn't need saying. But I'm glad Sheedy said it.

Even Robbo has had a moment of clarity.

WHY THE BASHING OF RICHMOND?

This PC world we live in is invading the football field. It seems the nice people who follow football want Richmond to play nice football. Yes, they play on edge, and Trent Cotchin and Tom Lynch have been the focus since Friday night’s win over St Kilda, but so what? As Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW on Saturday, you’d rather play edgy football than soft football. Richmond was the darling team in 2018, the respected team in 2019, and are probably the most despised team in 2020. Again, so what? The “unsociable’’ Hawks were praised for their ruthless attitude and actions through their glorious three-peat, yet, strangely, the Tigers are being heavily criticised for employing the same hard-nosed attitude.
Robbo changed his tune after his tweet..

Will this fire dusty up like that dud from the Demons being better then dusty.
Port better watch out, Dusty will should them who the man really is.

I put a lot of it down to a herd mentality, some lack of understanding of football, playing favourites and lazy journalism.

There are plenty of those in the media that want their favourite team on top and are happy to stir the pot in the hope that it upsets the Champs. I also reckon one or two get an idea for something to have a crack at us over, then there is a pile on. They are like lemmings.

I don't watch footy programs or read anything from the HS or Age etc online. I do read the Mongrel Punt and Titus O'Reily, and the wonderful insights and ramblings of the contributors to PRE.

How about good ol' Ralph Malph? He's written an article this morning about De Goey's contract situation. In his opinion he is not worth $800K pa which I agree with. He then goes on to say that he has only had one top 10 B&F finish which was a return of 48 goals in the 2018 premiership season!!!!!o_Oo_O

The quality of AFL "journalism" continues to stagger..............................
That’s obviously a typo. He meant to type “ 2018 preliminaryship season”

and ralphy, between you and me, and for the record, it’s not a real thing either ;)