Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

I think it is a combination of not selecting the right people and a lack of training.
A number of ex footballers were play commentators and did a great job, Frank Adams, Jack Edwards, Lou Richards, Geoff Leek, Doug Heywood, Bob Skelton, Kevin Bartlett and Jack Dyer are some that I remember.
Some of those weren’t so great Bones.

Skilton was not a great commentator, Jack wasn’t either ( but very entertaining) , bluey Adams was average at best. Some were ok. Doug Heywood, Geoff Leek, Ian Cleland ( who was an umpire) and Doug Bigelow were the good ones imo.

If you go back in time the best commentators weren’t ex AFL players imo. Tony Charlton, Graham Smokey Dawson, Ross Smooth Booth, Ian Williamson, Norman Banks, Dennis Commeti, Bruce McAvaney, Clinton Grybus, Anthony Hudson. Even Tim Lane and Gerard Whately are good callers, they just annoy me !!!

You’ve got me reminiscing now

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully they get Dunstall to replace him. Did a good job when standing in last year. Probably too smart or opinionated for Gerard though so won’t happen.
Gerard's a big boy. I think he like someone to talk who can contribute.
I hear he was getting tired of the long winded direction-less rambles.

Skilton was not a great commentator, Jack wasn’t either ( but very entertaining) , bluey Adams was average at best. Some were ok. Doug Heywood, Geoff Leek, Ian Cleland ( who was an umpire) and Doug Bigelow were the good ones imo.

If you go back in time the best commentators weren’t ex AFL players imo. Tony Charlton, Graham Smokey Dawson, Ross Smooth Booth, Ian Williamson, Norman Banks, Dennis Commeti, Bruce McAvaney, Clinton Grybus, Anthony Hudson. Even Tim Lane and Gerard Whately are good callers, they just annoy me !!!

Sandy Roberts & Drew Morphett were good too.

Reactions: 2 users

I forgot Ian Robertson as well. I think the ones I mentioned rum rings around the majority of what we have on offer today.

They had a bit of a fallout last season I think, and David King told Blobbo off the other week about 'putting words in his mouth' re: Fagan. Blobbo's lost his mates.
Actually I think it goes all the way back to when Garry had a breakdown and Robinson might have been a bit intrusive into what he wrote about it.
Apparently Lyon has not uttered a good word about him since!

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully they get Dunstall to replace him. Did a good job when standing in last year. Probably too smart or opinionated for Gerard though so won’t happen.
I won't be surprised if they just stick Ralph in the seat, given that Newscorp still majority own it and part of the deal I would think is to drive people towards the tabloid rag they run.
They don't eff around on the NRL version... usually get 2 News journos on a night!

Magoo is a dhead. The father of an AFL footballer told me once that the club his son was at were all told under no circumstances was anyone to interview with Magoo without prior approval, such was his modus operandi for completely distorting things. Buckley and Cwood did something similar. So did Richmond.

In the last few years on 360 his unprofessional, base, bogan ramblings have gotten worse. Turning up late. Always sick. A number of times you could see the "WTF ?" daggers in Nerdley's eyes.

His time had well and truly come, and the fact he wasn't on tonight after 14 years says it probably hasn't ended all that well.

Reactions: 2 users