Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

It still feels as though Richmond performances and teams not that respected and the true good teams are Geelong and West Coast.
Prior to 2017 we were ridiculed for finishing 9th...losing finals..Carlton, Nth.Melbourne, Port Adelaide.
Flag in 2017 looked on as a surprise and not the best team.
Reminder that we have won every final in last 3 seasons by an average 47points except for the 2018 preliminary which knocked us out (may have been excuses through illness...will never know). Arguably our best year overall barring that game.
Overcame many obstacles to win last year. Gave W. Coast and Geelong a start and soundly beat them.
Media cited MCG advantage, soft draw, bad kicking by Brisbane....still we won.
It feels now they smell blood and can't wait for us to fail so the true champions Geelong, Dangerfield etc. can assume their rightful spot.
Need no more motivation than that this friday night.

Reactions: 6 users
It still feels as though Richmond performances and teams not that respected and the true good teams are Geelong and West Coast.
Prior to 2017 we were ridiculed for finishing 9th...losing finals..Carlton, Nth.Melbourne, Port Adelaide.
Flag in 2017 looked on as a surprise and not the best team.
Reminder that we have won every final in last 3 seasons by an average 47points except for the 2018 preliminary which knocked us out (may have been excuses through illness...will never know). Arguably our best year overall barring that game.
Overcame many obstacles to win last year. Gave W. Coast and Geelong a start and soundly beat them.
Media cited MCG advantage, soft draw, bad kicking by Brisbane....still we won.
It feels now they smell blood and can't wait for us to fail so the true champions Geelong, Dangerfield etc. can assume their rightful spot.
Need no more motivation than that this friday night.

Its the media and the fans. I reckon if you ask the coaches they know who the best sides are and we would be all over that. The fact that so many this season have gone against their own gameplan to go the flood as they know they have no other way to beat us suggests most coaches believe we are 1 of if not the toughest side to face in the comp.

The coaches are the ones that matter, the rest if just white noise IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
Quite frankly, as long as the team keeps playing as they can and we grab the flag again this year, everyone else, media and opposition supporters, can say whatever they want.

3 Premierships in 4 years. That's "dynasty" or "modern great" in anyone's book

Reactions: 4 users
Gee the Lolingwood biatches are mouthing off. Jones and Fat Ed.

Lets check the scoreboard shall we:

1 game ended in a draw, one minor COVID breach each, one serious COVID breach each. One destined for top 4 the other struggling to make the 8.

I would back Jones to get the sack before either Syd or CCJ. Bumbling old fool is an embarrassment.

Last edited:
Its the media and the fans. I reckon if you ask the coaches they know who the best sides are and we would be all over that. The fact that so many this season have gone against their own gameplan to go the flood as they know they have no other way to beat us suggests most coaches believe we are 1 of if not the toughest side to face in the comp.

The coaches are the ones that matter, the rest if just white noise IMO.
I always quote the stats to those who question it
We have a record of 66-22-1 since the start of 2017 , nearly 75% . The next highest is West Coast who have won 58 games at 66%. Geelong is 65%, GWS 61% , Port Adelaide 60% and Collingwood 57%.
The scariest thing for other clubs is that after the halfway mark of the season (counting round 9 as halfway in 2020) we have a 37-9 record or 80% including a 7-1 finals record.
Not sure how that isn't dominant? It's basically 2 wins a season better than anyone else. Our record equivalises to 16.5 wins per season over 3 1/2 years

Reactions: 7 users
Think the problem with a lot of these so called ‘journalists’ is they feel that they have to be the story, rather than report on the story.
Said it for a while now the major issue with the media is there are too many of them & they are competing to be tomorrow's headline. They cover the sport 365 days a yr when it goes for 6 mths a yr...

Reactions: 3 users
The way the media has twisted around the Clarko press conference words around to make a headline is exactly why the AFL media have the reputation they have .
The fact none of them have sided with him on the issue's regarding the Draft say it all. it's a clear issue but they ignore that because they can make a story out of ignoring it.

My issue with Eddie is he makes headline grabbing comments about other Clubs but turns into a defence Lawyer when one of his Clubs players stuff up.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Quite frankly, as long as the team keeps playing as they can and we grab the flag again this year, everyone else, media and opposition supporters, can say whatever they want.

3 Premierships in 4 years. That's "dynasty" or "modern great" in anyone's book
They already have & will no doubt continue on, 3 out of 4 would trump Geelongs greatest ever era so it'll be good to silence thier fans, they still dine out on 3 out of 5 like it's 2011...

Reactions: 2 users
I just read an article on fox sports where Eddie McGuire has decided to make a commentary on the Stack/CCJ situation and called for the to be sacked.
Eddie my message to you is just shut up. You have no relevance, we don’t care what you say and neither should anyone else.
In fact I would go further and say that it is totally inappropriate and I think that Benny Gale should denounce your comments publicly.

He said that the rules from the start should've been more strict from the start. And he does say his players would've been sent home too.

The issue now is so many Geelong supporter's in the media, huddo, Whately, Mooney, Hutchison are all praising and stroking there ego's but at the same time condeming us as a club that has cultural issues.
Whateley is working his magic for Scotty by down playing the hype but still throwing in the off field issue's may disrupt our season.

All we need to do is win the next 5 games and they will all be eating there words.

Many on the media think they are bigger than the game itself. It's everywhere in sport today. I'm not a fan of The Joker but the tennis world seems out to get him. Can't believe he was disqualified from the US open for an errant accidental hit followed by an immediate apology. When I read the headlines I thought he must have thrown his racket at the umpire or assaulted someone.
Once the media get a set against an individual (Tommy) or organisation (RFC) it becomes a feeding frenzy that lacks any perspective.
The evidence is in the video, but the narrative comes from the media bias and sensationalising of events.

Reactions: 2 users
Many on the media think they are bigger than the game itself. It's everywhere in sport today. I'm not a fan of The Joker but the tennis world seems out to get him. Can't believe he was disqualified from the US open for an errant accidental hit followed by an immediate apology. When I read the headlines I thought he must have thrown his racket at the umpire or assaulted someone.
Once the media get a set against an individual (Tommy) or organisation (RFC) it becomes a feeding frenzy that lacks any perspective.
The evidence is in the video, but the narrative comes from the media bias and sensationalising of events.

Apparently that's the rules, if you hit a ball in anger and it hurts someone it's an automatic default.

Dojokvic should be wearing a Richmond jumper next time he plays.
He gets drilled hard core.
The ball lady over did it too

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently that's the rules, if you hit a ball in anger and it hurts someone it's an automatic default.
I think it was careless rather than angry. If it had been hit in anger it would have knocked the poor linesperson out. Anger is the media narrative though.