Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

I was surprised too. Christian was essentially forced to throw Lynch at the tribunal given the media assassination over the last few weeks. And now they pile into him for doing it.

Its a win / win for media.
Hang Lynch out for what he did, now they get to hang Christian out to dry.
They're getting great mileage out of an non story.
Media will be patting themselves on the back for the great work they did.

Reactions: 1 users
Caro mentioned that Hurley was thinking of appearing before the tribunal to tell them he put a bit of mayo on the contact but was told by the bummers not to for fear of being fined himself for staging.
If true then two things. The AFL prosecutor made such a fool of himself for exaggerating the effects of Lynch’s action. And also Essendon should be totally ashamed of themselves for being prepared to let an innocent player get suspended after being told by their own player there was nothing in it and he was just staging to get a free kick. Shades of the dog nicholls acting against Crowe all those years ago. Shoots the druggies right up to my most despised team behind carlscum :mad:
With Worsfold at the helm such behaviour is not unexpected.

Caroline mentioned the AFL are filthy with staging and want to stamp it out.

I don't buy it. They've watched it for weeks / years and just let it go through to the wicketkeeper. Callan Ward practically admitted on tv that he had staged, no free kick. You get the "exaggeration" argument, again if thats true, where are Selwood, Hunter, Dangerfield etc of the head flicking backwards to exaggerate high contact, but is anything done, nope just give them more free kicks.

I don't buy this agenda by the AFL is to rid the game of staging, there have been ones way worse that the MRO and the media just completely ignore.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't buy it. They've watched it for weeks / years and just let it go through to the wicketkeeper. Callan Ward practically admitted on tv that he had staged, no free kick. You get the "exaggeration" argument, again if thats true, where are Selwood, Hunter, Dangerfield etc of the head flicking backwards to exaggerate high contact, but is anything done, nope just give them more free kicks.

I don't buy this agenda by the AFL is to rid the game of staging, there have been ones way worse that the MRO and the media just completely ignore.
Exactly what Lloyd said and showed examples of ones no-one had talked about.

Dangerfield & Selwood have been a shockers for years. Someone in the public had put a clip togerther and it gained momentum. I think it was titled what are they training their players at Geel or something like that. We'll see what happens from here.

Reactions: 1 user
Caro mentioned that Hurley was thinking of appearing before the tribunal to tell them he put a bit of mayo on the contact but was told by the bummers not to for fear of being fined himself for staging.
wow. what a bunch of honourable fellows they are ... shoot it up !

• Wow

Dangerfield & Selwood have been a shockers for years. Someone in the public had put a clip togerther and it gained momentum. I think it was titled what are they training their players at Geel or something like that. We'll see what happens from here.

Most supporters know who they are, they aren't called duckers for no reason but where is the AFL's outrage to beat the scourge of staging here? How is flinging your head back exaggerating head high contact not the same as either of what Vlastuin or Grimes did? Makes a mockery of what they say.

Selwood would be on half his wage if he was fined every time he flung his head backwards, I'm surprised he's never given himself whiplash. Add Gaff, Miers to that list of repeat offenders, Macrae from the Bulldogs too.

wow. what a bunch of honourable fellows they are ... shoot it up !
Caro is also saying that there is a real possibility that Rance will return. They can't help it, these media jerks, but keep Richmond in the news for reasons other than just pure footy. Sure I can deal with the good and bad, but enough is enough, they've had us in the bad news, speculation circles for 2 weeks now, p15s off and focus on the football, not the extraneous *smile*!

was it countenanced as a possible rumour of a potential comeback on a podcast?

the media is getting worse and worse, off a low base

you would think with this global economic shake-up, whereby in the very near future you simply wont get paid for being useless (hurrah to the end of the enormous sheltered workshop),

that the media would be really pulling out all stops to appear competent and relevant?

a footy journo has one of the best and easiest jobs going (yep, these are the ones that will disappear. If you can do it from home, there's a decent chance you are pretty expendable)

maybe giving google and instagram a rest and going to training and pubs (is Robbo, in that respect, quasi-competent?)

I'm not sure what this says about me or my personality type but I absolutely love all the media attention good, bad and ugly. We are in their heads and I for one am walking taller! Having been seen as an irrelevant club for so long I see the media attention as confirmation we are the big time club everyone else wants to be. :cupgold The barbs are like water off a ducks back. Our mob will continue to concentrate on controlling the controllable. Onward and upwards.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure what this says about me or my personality type but I absolutely love all the media attention good, bad and ugly. We are in their heads and I for one am walking taller! Having been seen as an irrelevant club for so long I see the media attention as confirmation we are the big time club everyone else wants to be. :cupgold The barbs are like water off a ducks back. Our mob will continue to concentrate on controlling the controllable. Onward and upwards.

Hope you are back pocket.

And welcome.

Caroline mentioned the AFL are filthy with staging and want to stamp it out.
I'm sure the AFL are filthy on staging but it's their own fault. Players will keep doing it if they think there is an advantage to be had. Fines do nothing.

The one in our game against GC. Rankine added mayo to milk a 50m penalty but the ump wouldn't have it and Rankine got up grinning. Nice try but no cigar.

If the AFL are filthy on staging they can fix it real quick. It's all in the control of the umpires. Just pay the obvious frees and be on the lookout for staging. Players will quickly adapt.

Caro is also saying that there is a real possibility that Rance will return. They can't help it, these media jerks, but keep Richmond in the news for reasons other than just pure footy. Sure I can deal with the good and bad, but enough is enough, they've had us in the bad news, speculation circles for 2 weeks now, p15s off and focus on the football, not the extraneous *smile*!

Caro has to rely on rumours now, her sources from RFC have all dried up. I think she had one every month back in the bad old days, she might of been a small part of the problem.

Was Clangerfield fined for staging re his Greg Louganis in last years Prelim ?

• Angry
Caro has to rely on rumours now, her sources from RFC have all dried up. I think she had one every month back in the bad old days, she might of been a small part of the problem.
She's on the outer, one to many scathing stories

was it countenanced as a possible rumour of a potential comeback on a podcast?
It was on Footy Classified. They were talking about the rumour Rance was set to be the Bachelor. Caro poo-pooed that, then as a last aside, said "But I do think a comeback is on the cards." Hutchy rightly pointed out she'd buried the lede, then nothing more was said of it.

The whole staging thing is overblown. It has been going on since the game started. Don't know why people get so worked up about it. The other problem is the staging is usually a function of some contact anyway - Stinger's hand was in Grimes' back, Vlaustuin copped one high. The Rankine one is probably the only blatant attempt without contact.

Reactions: 3 users

Hocking is waiting for Clangerfeild, Selwood and Ablett to retire before bring in the staging rule.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users