Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Journos have to take a good, long, hard look at themselves (but they won't).

They write or broadcast crap about players like Grimes or Vlas, pointing out "diving", saying they should be sanctioned, frees paid against, whatever. But what they are doing is winding up the industry and getting dim witted supporters so aggrieved that they send horrible messages/threats on social media.

Not saying it's only against Richmond players but it sure feels that way at the moment. Who has similarly been so named and shamed from other clubs? Genuine question.

This is getting worse and I fear that we'll see more players leave the game due to mental health/depression issues. God help the industry if some nutter tried to carry a threat.
It's also not only Journos.
Essendon fans get wound up by Worsfold having a major sook straight after the game so they respond to his message by abusing players on Twitter.
For that matter some of Dimmas comments this week were ill advised.

Reactions: 1 users
7 closes its Sunday coverage with Best of the Best. Four or five Essendon highlights, 0 Tigers. Mozzie's set shot gets a go but not Bolton's snap.

And now among the News leads is Grimes as a diver.
Glad you raised this. Was watching and thinking the same.

You would have thought the bombers won the game.

I thought ok - indigenous round - show a few highlights of mozzie and tippa's goals (tippa walked into an open goal), and tippa being bumped by the dirty cheating diving grimes (little block - grimes could have put him in hospital - like the tough guy dixon tried to do on baker).

I thought ok - now for the goal of the game - kicked by the boomerang winner - an indigenous boy - one handed snap under immense pressure.

I thought ok - they'll leave it till the end - the highlight of dreamtime at the D.

Nah - Nup - Nudda.

Reactions: 2 users
Glad you raised this. Was watching and thinking the same.

You would have thought the bombers won the game.

I thought ok - indigenous round - show a few highlights of mozzie and tippa's goals (tippa walked into an open goal), and tippa being bumped by the dirty cheating diving grimes (little block - grimes could have put him in hospital - like the tough guy dixon tried to do on baker).

I thought ok - now for the goal of the game - kicked by the boomerang winner - an indigenous boy - one handed snap under immense pressure.

I thought ok - they'll leave it till the end - the highlight of dreamtime at the D.

Nah - Nup - Nudda.
I saw it too and thought it pretty odd. Especially not showing Bolton's goal.

Some of the Media should be sacked for bringing the game into disrupt

Have you seen the Twits from Andy Maher?
When is someone going to get a free kick after tacking Dusty?
He does what ever he wants.
I Blocked all the so called media experts on Twitter

Would a media ban be the right thing?

Or would we be seen as ‘whiners?

Wish Balme was at the hub to say how it is and take the heat for a time being.

Shut shop?

Don’t get sucked into giving this any oxygen?

You wonder how Dimma may respond Thursday after what will come the clubs way Monday onwards ....Radio stations, more talkback, AFLs response etc.

Should be Balmey responding, since Dimma is not controlled and would just be seen as whining and Balme has that loose, good bloke thing down pat.

Call a press conference.
- Hand out the sheets showing free kicks differential from 2016 to 2019 home and away seasons.
- Point out that this year Lynch has got twice as many against as for (8 - 15) and on Saturday was O - 2.
- Note that many commentators say forwards get a better run and point to Lynch.
- Note the free kick count and say that the current slag about Richmond staging isn't working and hasn't for four years according to facts.
- But what it does say is that Richmond players know they won't get a free unless it's obvious and naturally they try to make it obvious.
- That doesn't work often though, just ask Jack who still complains and thus doesn't even get the ones he deserves.
- Seems obvious (according to facts) that Lynch is copping more and getting less.
- Is there an agenda? Only press can say if they are briefed by anyone at the AFL.
- Clearly the result is there will be less frees to Richmond (even though we are already the most penalised) due to staging and retaliation accusations.

As to the Robbie Muir story.
I grew up in the same area of Wendouree as Robbie and used to visit him occasionally as a kid.
I still remember a mark by Robbie at the City Oval against Redan. There was a pack of about 5 flying, all big key position players and Robbie just flew over the pack from the back to mark on his chest and land on his feet. Still the best mark I've ever seen and that was the 70's. I went to St Kilda as Northey's runner in 1978 when he was assistant coach. One day in a match Robbie was going crazy shouting, screaming and throwing his arms around. Northey sent me out and Robbie was livid and said the umpire had called him a "black bastard" and he wanted to belt him. I tried to calm him down but what can you say? I went back and told Northey. I regret to this day I did nothing but what can you do? The umpire is sacrosant and can you imagine what would happen if Robbie or anyone else had challenged the umpire. t's probably one of the things Northey had in mind when he was quoted in the story.

The impotence you feel when you see something wrong and can't do a damn thing about it.

That seems to link the two although institutional racism is far and away the bigger problem than an AFL free kick bias against Richmond.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Have you seen the Twits from Andy Maher?
When is someone going to get a free kick after tacking Dusty?
He does what ever he wants.
Couldn't believe how Danger got away with holding the ball on the weekend.
Protected species = Stephen Hocking.
Hope Mick has a go at Andy Blaah on The Front Bar.
Do some research Mick and compare footage from Dusty and Danger.
Dusty's actually been caught a few times this year, Danger not so much.

• Wow
I cant tell the different between the AFL and the social media reports/articles/comments

the only different I can tell is that the AFL media people only report on the social media content .................and they get paid by the AFL organisation for doing that ......

the AFl (social) media live and work in a cesspool of (paid for comments) biased opinions only. they are full of their own self importance and think they are a service that matters

never again can the AFl media people call out, lecture us and talk about the abuse of AFl players and mental health issues facing AFL players after they have incited and written hateful personal attacks on young men ...............like they have .they are the problem .......................

afl media=social media

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if mentioned here or in other Lynch related threads, Eddie also this morning calling this Lynch tribunal farce out for what it is. I can't stand Eddie's Collingwood bias and hypocrisy, but he will call it like he sees it.

The AFL have no idea. They react to the idiot journos click baiting to create a storm in a teacup and then other journos call them out for what they are - reactionary idiots.

• Love
Sorry if mentioned already, but Dwaynepipe couldnt understand how all 3 of our players had been “targeted” when so many others had no case to answer for .

Reactions: 4 users
The recent disgusting threats made against Grimes should make a few of these mouthpieces in the media pull their heads in. They have to bear some of the blame in creating the environment.

Reactions: 7 users
The recent disgusting threats made against Grimes should make a few of these mouthpieces in the media pull their heads in. They have to bear some of the blame in creating the environment.
They won’t , it’s just creating more clicks for them

• Angry
Looking forward ( not really) to the headlines in the morning, even though the Pies are playing, I’m tipping there will be some yellow and black selling the rags

Living in a strange universe today..... Dwayne Russell reckons Lynch shouldn't be at the tribunal and says Grimes and Vlastuin been hard done by considering what plenty of players have done and not got sighted for!
What a weird year this year has become

Living in a strange universe today..... Dwayne Russell reckons Lynch shouldn't be at the tribunal and says Grimes and Vlastuin been hard done by considering what plenty of players have done and not got sighted for!
Sorry 74 I repeated this much later, I missed yours when I flicked through