Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Living in a strange universe today..... Dwayne Russell reckons Lynch shouldn't be at the tribunal and says Grimes and Vlastuin been hard done by considering what plenty of players have done and not got sighted for!

The people who organised the "lynch Lynch" conspiracy really dropped the ball on this, Dwayne would have been great to have on the team.

Any goodwill towards Cornes for his defence of Lynch Evaporated just now when he said "the two staging free costs Essendon the game."

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
As to the Robbie Muir story.
I grew up in the same area of Wendouree as Robbie and used to visit him occasionally as a kid.
I still remember a mark by Robbie at the City Oval against Redan. There was a pack of about 5 flying, all big key position players and Robbie just flew over the pack from the back to mark on his chest and land on his feet. Still the best mark I've ever seen and that was the 70's. I went to St Kilda as Northey's runner in 1978 when he was assistant coach. One day in a match Robbie was going crazy shouting, screaming and throwing his arms around. Northey sent me out and Robbie was livid and said the umpire had called him a "black bastard" and he wanted to belt him. I tried to calm him down but what can you say? I went back and told Northey. I regret to this day I did nothing but what can you do? The umpire is sacrosant and can you imagine what would happen if Robbie or anyone else had challenged the umpire. t's probably one of the things Northey had in mind when he was quoted in the story.

The impotence you feel when you see something wrong and can't do a damn thing about it.

That seems to link the two although institutional racism is far and away the bigger problem than an AFL free kick bias against Richmond.

Bloody hell, do you wonder at Robert Muir's behaviour when the umpire is being racist? I wonder how they stopped Muir from belting him and he should have got off and the umpire sacked.

I don't care when this happened, we all knew racism was wrong even back in the 1970s. You expected some of this back then from opposition players, but from the umpire, FFS, that is disgusting.

RedanTiger, I doubt you were in a position to do anything and suspect they would have just dismissed you anyway. Horrible situation to be put in, just shouldn't have happened.

DS

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Any goodwill towards Cornes for his defence of Lynch Evaporated just now when he said "the two staging free costs Essendon the game."
Geez he talked garbage. At least Lloyd highlighted some other instances

Reactions: 3 users
Bloody hell, do you wonder at Robert Muir's behaviour when the umpire is being racist? I wonder how they stopped Muir from belting him and he should have got off and the umpire sacked.

I don't care when this happened, we all knew racism was wrong even back in the 1970s. You expected some of this back then from opposition players, but from the umpire, FFS, that is disgusting.

RedanTiger, I doubt you were in a position to do anything and suspect they would have just dismissed you anyway. Horrible situation to be put in, just shouldn't have happened.

DS
Assuming the umpire wasn't Glenn James?

Caro mentioned that Hurley was thinking of appearing before the tribunal to tell them he put a bit of mayo on the contact but was told by the bummers not to for fear of being fined himself for staging.
If true then two things. The AFL prosecutor made such a fool of himself for exaggerating the effects of Lynch’s action. And also Essendon should be totally ashamed of themselves for being prepared to let an innocent player get suspended after being told by their own player there was nothing in it and he was just staging to get a free kick. Shades of the dog nicholls acting against Crowe all those years ago. Shoots the druggies right up to my most despised team behind carlscum :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
How quickly did the lynch mob scatter this evening?
They all disappeared like a fart into the wind.
Morris was very quite, the little weasel.
Even choc block said, "It's about time forwards defend themselves against defenders that hold and don't play the ball".
"That incident would happen 100 times a game".

Reactions: 1 users
John Ralph is very quite tonight?
Has he gone into stage 6 lockdown??

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Watched a couple of the footy shows and low and behold support from all concerned. A lot of knives dug into Christian Mr MRO.

Even support for Vlas from G Lyon! did hit him in the chin/cheek slightly from the clear vision they showed

Lloyd showed multiple examples of examples of other players diving a lot worse. Grimes no fans in the media

Caroline mentioned the AFL are filthy with staging and want to stamp it out.

Maybe RFC should contest Vlas imo but pay the Grimes one though

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Lyon currently bashing MRO "how did it even get to the tribunal!!" as if he was having an out of body experience when calling for Lynch's suspension constantly for 2-3 days last week.
Its mind boggling.

• Angry
Looking forward ( not really) to the headlines in the morning, even though the Pies are playing, I’m tipping there will be some yellow and black selling the rags
Funny you say that, 'cause it's all quite. I wonder if Michael Christian did it, knowing it wouldn't get up, so the media circus would stop?

Reactions: 1 user
Geez he talked garbage. At least Lloyd highlighted some other instances

When you have so much exposure in the media and have a rep as some sort of controversial fearless straight shooter you keep on having to make bold statements. Whether you believe them or not. Because you know they will soon be forgotten as the football world moves on to the next irrelevant nonsense. He has made so many ridiculous statements but it all gets lost in the daily football milieu.

I wish there was some sort of fact or statement checker that could be wheeled out when King/Cornes/Morris etc blurt out their next poorly researched thought bubble. I suppose they should be congratulated for establishing a career on the back of such shallow short-term thinking.

Reactions: 1 users
Lyon currently bashing MRO "how did it even get to the tribunal!!" as if he was having an out of body experience when calling for Lynch's suspension constantly for 2-3 days last week.
Its mind boggling.
I was surprised too. Christian was essentially forced to throw Lynch at the tribunal given the media assassination over the last few weeks. And now they pile into him for doing it.

I was surprised too. Christian was essentially forced to throw Lynch at the tribunal given the media assassination over the last few weeks. And now they pile into him for doing it.
Well that just shows how he's not up to the job. Totally lacks independence and deserves everything he's copping imo!

-That fact he felt ‘ pressured’ to take Lynch to the tribunal.
-The fact this ‘ cumulative ‘ aspect was what the MRO went for.
-The fact that this ‘ cumulative aspect’ three fines/report didn’t exist as it was removed years prior.
-The fact the tribunal thought it warranted a suspension /fine.
-The fact no fine/suspension was warranted as it was deemed no strike ‘ took place.
-That it should never have been brought to the tribunal in the first place.
-The fact it ‘ was a waste of their time, money & resources’.
-The fact the ‘ media’ had initiated this and have a lot to answer for.
-The fact is that last night on all shows and radio this morning the tune has changed as most have egg on their faces trying to have Lynch suspended all year.
-That Christians position should come into question over this and more heat should be directed towards him.

May this unite our club.
May this unite our players.
May this unite the players around Lynch and also Vlaustin/Grimes.

-That fact he felt ‘ pressured’ to take Lynch to the tribunal.
-The fact this ‘ cumulative ‘ aspect was what the MRO went for.
-The fact that this ‘ cumulative aspect’ three fines/report didn’t exist as it was removed years prior.
-The fact the tribunal thought it warranted a suspension /fine.
-The fact no fine/suspension was warranted as it was deemed no strike ‘ took place.
-That it should never have been brought to the tribunal in the first place.
-The fact it ‘ was a waste of their time, money & resources’.
-The fact the ‘ media’ had initiated this and have a lot to answer for.
-The fact is that last night on all shows and radio this morning the tune has changed as most have egg on their faces trying to have Lynch suspended all year.
-That Christians position should come into question over this and more heat should be directed towards him.

May this unite our club.
May this unite our players.
May this unite the players around Lynch and also Vlaustin/Grimes.
If Lynch was found guilty it would have given the green light to all backmen to do whatever they liked. I think this now gives Lynch a bit of breathing space. Hopefully the umpires will be now watching for illegal tactics on forwards.

He could've (and should've) found no case to answer but sent him down assuming the Tribunal would find him guilty.

No sympathy.

He could've (and should've) found no case to answer but sent him down assuming the Tribunal would find him guilty.

No sympathy.
I'm no fan of Christian or the whole MRO position but I find the pile on from media ironic given the persecution of Lynch

Reactions: 5 users
I'm no fan of Christian or the whole MRO position but I find the pile on from media ironic given the persecution of Lynch
Exactly, the media can't help but push agendas, or worse still be led by the nose by Twitter