Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Didn't Hawkins have a shocking record when he decided to elbow a freo player?
It's good to have hocking in the big seat.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not even sure why its anything at all. Seemed that his fist may have hit the shoulder first but seemed to slip higher. So Vlastuin was hit in the head (albeit off the shoulder) so how was it making more of the contact.

I can't believe Ralph has just said on Fox that the MRO have come down hard on people who accentuate contact after the point of contact. Clearly haven't heard of Boyd Woodcock then have they.
He got done because of the public noise and ex players saying it was a bit much he threw his head back. Lewis even said he shouldn't have tumbled to the ground. Really?......I thought he marked, outstretched, falling to the ground, looking at the ball, toward an oncoming player, but maybe my eyes deceive me. Ultimately he was awarded a 50 which led to a goal, but the last I checked the umpire paid the 50, Nick just didn't decide he deserved it. So really the umpire gave a free kick, a 50 M penalty and a $500 fine, because if he hadn't have given it a 50 M penalty, most of this *smile* would not have occurred. So really Nick shouldn't have been courageous and gone flying back, looking at the ball only, to take the mark, outstretched, because of a result of giving 100%, he 's been fined for staging.

Reactions: 3 users
Bellchambers doesn’t play for Richmond so not worth commenting on apparently.
Just goes to show.................it ain't the action..........it's the reaction. If Lynch gets off, does Hurley get sited for staging? After all, he must have known Lynch was on thin ice, so tried to ruffle his feathers and then took an opportunity to carry on like Lynch gave him a Bruce Lee 1 inch punch to the throat.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yep, and people get way to invested in it. Click bait is click bait, and there will be pile-ons. Complaining and responding to it just feeds the beast. As for calls for Gale to respond to this, he's way too smart for that.

Yes it is click bait. Yes it is a pile on. Yes we should ignore it.

But the problem is the AFL are not ignoring it (bunch of amateurs).

Are Richmond really more thuggish and dive more than other sides?

If not, then why are we copping so many fines if not for the media coverage?

The media coverage, which is all about the media and not at all about concern for the players or the state of the game, is having a real and detrimental effect on our team and on the competition as a whole.

I agree that Gale shouldn't publicly respond to this, I agree that our club should remain above the sewerage that is the footy media. But they need to be called out for the damage they are doing. Someone should sue them, with Australia's defamation laws they would have a decent chance too.

DS

Just as an additional aside: that article on Robert Muir is precisely the sort of quality journalism these idiots are completely incapable of producing. It is the likes of the footy talk shows who would have known all about this for decades and said nothing. Instead they write the drivel we see about Lynch, about diving and all the other crap they try and pass off as journalism. They should be looking at that article about Muir and resigning in shame.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I just can't get upset at a few sub-$1000 fines.

You know it is not about the fines.

It is all about the narrative that somehow there is a problem at Richmond, a narrative that the media think will bring them more attention. They couldn't care less if there is or isn't an issue at any club, with the game or with certain players - all they care about is being the centre of attention. That's why they pick and choose their targets. Targeting the biggest club in the land gets them attention and screw the consequences.

If the morons on the footy talk shows actually gave a crap about anyone but themselves the article about Robert Muir would have come out decades ago.

DS

Can someone post the article Jabba has written in the H/S.
I want to know if he is for or against an suspension

Save Leysy repeating. Yes it is an agenda. Yes it is targetted out of jealousy. But Lap it up everyone.

The hate and focus on good people within us will fuel the fire of our great club.

Leysy for one is welcoming it.

Every player in our hub will know about it and feel it. And knowing how close they all are - will get even closer, especially around Tom.

Imagine the narrative and options it gives our coach with his famous storylines that focus our great team.

Perfect timing.

You know it is not about the fines.

It is all about the narrative that somehow there is a problem at Richmond, a narrative that the media think will bring them more attention.

Yeah I don't care about the "narrative" either, and of course the media does things that will bring them more attention. That's their raison d'etre, reason for being. We are premiers and have been 2 years from 3, so yes other fans hate us and various types in media will have a go. Those fines are a small price to pay for Vlas' goal and AMTW's non-goal.

Be careful what you wish for.

Who woke up Tim lane this weekend?
Hasn't he been watching Marc Murphy lately?

• Angry
If the AFL and the Clubs are calling for life bans on people who send nasty messages on Twitter when are we going to see Journos get banned for saying basically the same things on air and in print?

Reactions: 2 users
If we win the cup this season, we break the media.
They've thrown everything thing at us.

Living in a strange universe today..... Dwayne Russell reckons Lynch shouldn't be at the tribunal and says Grimes and Vlastuin been hard done by considering what plenty of players have done and not got sighted for!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
If the AFL and the Clubs are calling for life bans on people who send nasty messages on Twitter when are we going to see Journos get banned for saying basically the same things on air and in print?
Journos have to take a good, long, hard look at themselves (but they won't).

They write or broadcast crap about players like Grimes or Vlas, pointing out "diving", saying they should be sanctioned, frees paid against, whatever. But what they are doing is winding up the industry and getting dim witted supporters so aggrieved that they send horrible messages/threats on social media.

Not saying it's only against Richmond players but it sure feels that way at the moment. Who has similarly been so named and shamed from other clubs? Genuine question.

This is getting worse and I fear that we'll see more players leave the game due to mental health/depression issues. God help the industry if some nutter tried to carry a threat.

Reactions: 9 users
Journos have to take a good, long, hard look at themselves (but they won't).

They write or broadcast crap about players like Grimes or Vlas, pointing out "diving", saying they should be sanctioned, frees paid against, whatever. But what they are doing is winding up the industry and getting dim witted supporters so aggrieved that they send horrible messages/threats on social media.

Not saying it's only against Richmond players but it sure feels that way at the moment. Who has similarly been so named and shamed from other clubs? Genuine question.

This is getting worse and I fear that we'll see more players leave the game due to mental health/depression issues. God help the industry if some nutter tried to carry a threat.

This all in a year where we have lost both Danny Frawley and Shane Tuck to mental illness and yet they set up these ridiculous witch hunts against players.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
channel 9 have the staggering hypocrisy now to run a piece about player abuse and harassment.
Don't you know it's "want the public want". They are soooooo good at creating a story, flogging it to get people fired up, then which Twitter descends to despicable levels, tell everyone how terrible they are. No care, no responsibility, it is down right dangerous, and it's time they pulled their heads in.