Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Personally I’m sick of this horrible media driven sensational, “you won’t believe what happened next” click bait crap that’s passing as “journalism “. Not just when it’s targeted at Richmond (which has gone off the charts recently) but any club.

Reactions: 9 users
There was also one last week by Rankine, can't remember the quarter but think they were kicking to left of the screen. Went down holding his head after he was apparantly "hit" after the mark was taken, free kick not paid, gets up smirking. The commentator says something like "good try by Rankine but couldn't suck the umpire in".

So when exactly are the MRO clamping down on staging. Seems its only when you wear yellow and black.
I remember that. If the umpire, on seeing the smirk, had paid a free against him for staging that would go a long way to stamping it out.

Reactions: 2 users
Good to see Worsfold give the media a slapping.

Asked if he was speaking with a sense of frustration, Worsfold said: “Of course there is.
“I’ve read some comments from people that are pretty well respected people in the footy industry – and they sound like six-year-old kids. Like, it’s a bit embarrassing to read what some people say."

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with so much above. The biggest issue for me with the AFL journos is not that I don’t enjoy a lot of there work , it’s that due to the constant reporting on the negatives of the football world they are actually hurting the game and turning people off our great game. We on PRE are a great example , our club has come out of the darkness and had great success in recent years and yet Instead of craving articles written about the Richmond football club , It appears more an more of Richmond and football lovers have had a gut ful of the media’s dribble and as Tim said there sensationalism.

Dont expect to agree with all of them, all of the time, however theres just so much click bait, ambulance chasing stuff.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, and people get way to invested in it. Click bait is click bait, and there will be pile-ons. Complaining and responding to it just feeds the beast. As for calls for Gale to respond to this, he's way too smart for that.

Reactions: 3 users
I think Clarko was more on the money than Whoosha. Making a comment that more people cover the footy than do Federal politics, therefore feel they all have to say something to remain relevant. He also called us a great team.

Reactions: 1 users
Half these journos not capable to cover bush footy honestly the only ones who say it how it is and got ball a Wilson, Connolly, and Warner.

There's only one way to stop it.

Stop clicking.

Stop listening.

Stop watching.

Enjoy the footy & make up your own minds.

No wonder everyone's missing live footy. We don't need to listen to the peanuts.
I deleted the Twitter app this morning

Need some dirt on these journo's so dimma can bring it up in his next presser.

I know there is another thread for this article about Robert Muir this morning:

The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

But:

There's been a GoFundMe set up which at time of posting has raised $12k.

Besides from the great article itself, isn't it ridiculous the amount of difference that proper sports journalism can make?

Imagine if we had more of this instead of gutter snipes from Kane Cornes or Tom Browne, Damien Barrett/anyone from Fox/News Corp pushing sensationalism for clicks? Of course it won't happen – unless the money raised is going to them.

Thanks for posting that @sconies

What a powerful but sad story.
This now in from the AFL and St Kilda
The go fund me has raised over $50k

Reactions: 2 users
7 closes its Sunday coverage with Best of the Best. Four or five Essendon highlights, 0 Tigers. Mozzie's set shot gets a go but not Bolton's snap.

And now among the News leads is Grimes as a diver.

Reactions: 3 users
7 closes its Sunday coverage with Best of the Best. Four or five Essendon highlights, 0 Tigers. Mozzie's set shot gets a go but not Bolton's snap.

And now among the News leads is Grimes as a diver.

Bah, according to some it's all in your mind TBH!

Reactions: 1 user
*smile* me to tears because he has zero footy nouse.

Too right. Most times that is the theme of those free kicks - "a bit soft but shouldn't have had his hand there anyway". But not tigers. And ive seen little commentary that Hurley was not even looking at the ball (I think Cornes was the only one to mention it)
Or that he staged.

I know there is another thread for this article about Robert Muir this morning:

The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

But:

There's been a GoFundMe set up which at time of posting has raised $12k.

Besides from the great article itself, isn't it ridiculous the amount of difference that proper sports journalism can make?

Imagine if we had more of this instead of gutter snipes from Kane Cornes or Tom Browne, Damien Barrett/anyone from Fox/News Corp pushing sensationalism for clicks? Of course it won't happen – unless the money raised is going to them.

Ch9 should be paying for it.
I deleted the Twitter app this morning

Did that a year ago. Monumental waste of space.