Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

It already is.

And with a strong AFL bent happening as well.
Love to see some work put into where the game has got it wrong and how it should be improved. Academies, Advertising, Concussion, Game Rules and the means by which rules are amended could all benefit from some clear air.
You know.. journalism.

And with a strong AFL bent happening as well.
Love to see some work put into where the game has got it wrong and how it should be improved. Academies, Advertising, Concussion, Game Rules and the means by which rules are amended could all benefit from some clear air.

That would have happened if Benny got the Big Job but, it won't with Dill in charge.

Reactions: 1 user
Sports journalists generally aren’t journalists, they are fans. Particularly in the AFL it’s an access model and if they start doing actual journalism, criticising the AFL, going against The Narrative™ they will find their access dries up very quickly.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting. Looks like Blobbo will still be seen on Fox Footy someway and having Gawwy sit with Wanker on AFL360 doesn't sound too good.
Whateley actually believes he is a very good caller of the footy.
I wouldn't have him in my top 5.
Bennett, the new bloke, lane, Hudson, McLaughlin

I actually think Eddie McGuire is a decent match caller. It’s when he’s in the studio as anchor with the blokes everything goes south.

Absolute fool of a man.

I am constantly amazed in this country at the bizarre need to try and turn moronic ex footballers into 'in-play' commentators or callers of the game.

Just let them do special comments or analysis (as bad as some of them are at that too) and leave the actual call of the game to a full-on media and speaking professional.

I noticed this when I moved from the UK.

Soccer in the UK is commentating by a proper commentator who just calls the game, and then asks questions of the 1 guy on special comments. No., "woww look at that", or commentating when they are taking a free kick, "he'd better make sure he hits it at this angle to get up and over the wall".

There are a couple of guys that call the footy like most other sports call games around the globe, but there is something very bogan about the way we call AFL games in general.

Reactions: 4 users
I noticed this when I moved from the UK.

Soccer in the UK is commentating by a proper commentator who just calls the game, and then asks questions of the 1 guy on special comments. No., "woww look at that", or commentating when they are taking a free kick, "he'd better make sure he hits it at this angle to get up and over the wall".

There are a couple of guys that call the footy like most other sports call games around the globe, but there is something very bogan about the way we call AFL games in general.
And i assume no "great call Hame" when Hame commentates a bit of play.

Sports journalists generally aren’t journalists, they are fans. Particularly in the AFL it’s an access model and if they start doing actual journalism, criticising the AFL, going against The Narrative™ they will find their access dries up very quickly.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
One of the most damning examples currently is how the AFLW is covered.

Do we ever see any journalist dare criticise the product or the state of the game?

Yes and also Fox will have their own commentary team for every match which will be beneficial in light of Corn being involved at 7.
Unpopular take - reckon Karen commentating televised matches would be tremendously entertaining for various reasons - at least at first.

Reactions: 1 user