Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

But Sydney didn't have sustained success, nor did Brisbane. Hawthorn under Clarkson is arguable.
Every club, even the moggies have the occasional dip year, but over the long run of the last 25 years with all the AFL equalisation measures. The Moggies n Sydaknee are the standouts as continuous finals players n therefore flag contenders. The little ladder chart in the bottom corner of the article depicts their finals longevity and successes.

Reactions: 1 user
“Sustained success of playing in finals” is what I wrote. And they have.
Sydney have been clearly boosted by access to very good academy kids when they have been good and have also had access to high draft picks.
The Hawks were fighting with us for the spoon in the early 2000s, they then had a run of finals for about 10 years, then dropped away again. They are now back in the finals for the 1st time in 5 years.
The Lions made the finals once in 15 years after their flag run. and during that time were absolutely hopeless for a period. They have now made the finals for the last 7 or so years.

Reactions: 1 users
I see that SEN are crediting McRea and Collingwood for introducing players having fun and enjoying their football.

Hawthorn are apparently copying Collingwood. It’s deliberate and disrespectful in the extreme the way the media totally ignores everything we achieved

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I see that SEN are crediting McRea and Collingwood for introducing players having fun and enjoying their football.

Hawthorn are apparently copying Collingwood. It’s deliberate and disrespectful in the extreme the way the media totally ignores everything we achieved
Geelong
Sydney
Collingwood and now Hawthorn have all copied us.
We invented the small fowards and the frenzy plays.

Mitchell using his wife to pump up players or something, in other words, there's a new Mrs Hardwick in town.....

1726055818822.png

Last edited:
It’s a fluff piece article but it’s about the sustained success of playing in finals since 2000 hence we aren’t mentioned with Geelong and Sydney.

But it begs the question is it better to regularly make finals like Geelong (19) and Sydney (20) but only win 2 flags (Sydney) and 4 (Geelong) or have a golden 4 year run and win 3?

Rather depends if we can get back to contending over the next 5-10 years.

There are a lot of factors in all of this. We have fallen quicker than we, and likely everyone else, thought we would. On the other hand, Sydney, Geelong et al don't fall as far, but while they stay around the upper reaches of the ladder they don't win any more flags. Of course, there is also the factor of the academy concessions for Sydney and the various players Geelong have picked up on the cheap (although their identification and development of talent is something the rest of the clubs would like to know how to do).

If we can get back to contending and win more flags in the next 10 years then you would have to say we are doing a better job, even if it isn't the trajectory we planned.

DS

Geelong
Sydney
Collingwood and now Hawthorn have all copied us.
We invented the small fowards and the frenzy plays.

Hawthorn HAVE NOT copied Tige's, they are playing their own brand and are slicing teams up with elite foot skills, Richmond even at their best couldn't be accused of that, but so far only variations of our way have won flags since 2017.

Whenever a team wins a few flags every other team looks at how they play and asks themselves: how could we do this, but better?

Chaos with skill. Bring in some aspects of the passing game but combine it with some chaos and a lot of speed.

The game develops, it always develops. Most often on the back of changes made by successful teams.

All changes are evolutionary. Yes we played chaos, but there are doubtless some earlier teams who had aspects of this which we noticed and improved upon.

DS

now I dislike Norf as much as I do most AFL journos , however saw an article getting stuck into Norf for taking Dursma in front of Watson , FFS it’s their first season and as always smalls are ready to go a lot quicker then the big blokes and Watson is really small . My point is why do these pricks need to pin point a kid who’s just been drafted to the worst club in the history of sport , just because the young fella drafted after him is doing really well in his first year , unfair bull *smile* put on a young man trying to make his way as well as his football club

Typical negative press instead of focusing on on the positives of the Wiz

Reactions: 11 users
now I dislike Norf as much as I do most AFL journos , however saw an article getting stuck into Norf for taking Dursma in front of Watson , FFS it’s their first season and as always smalls are ready to go a lot quicker then the big blokes and Watson is really small . My point is why do these pricks need to pin point a kid who’s just been drafted to the worst club in the history of sport , just because the young fella drafted after him is doing really well in his first year , unfair bull *smile* put on a young man trying to make his way as well as his football club

Yeah, retro analysis of drafting is a wank unless said journo specifically said pre draft North should’ve drafted Watson. And what is this journo going to say if Duursma goes on to be a very good player and Watson disappears? Nuttin I imagine.

Yep saw that and felt the same.

I would pick Duursma if I was asked to choose today