Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Hearing he may have been on the phone with headphones in at the time.
I see people walking the pavement on their phone all the time, oblivious to surroundings and bumping into things. It is only natural. Phones are extensions of people nowadays. Not sure much can be done, people drive cars and text or watch movies. There is going to be a lot more of these type of accidents in the future.
Its so very sad for him and his family.
This is a significant issue.

I worked in public transport for a few years. Used to read the daily incidents such as tram collision with truck or car, unruly/drunk/stoned passengers, derailments, power outages etc.

But the thing that shocked me was the number of people that would walk into the side of trams. Almost always have earbuds in, not aware of where they are or what they are doing.

Not saying this is the case re this tragic death.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. He did pass breath and swab and when asked for a blood test he has refused.
I’m not a pathologist but the suspicion would be something that gets detected in a blood test that is not detected in a standard drug swab.
That’s why I said it may not be the reason for the accident but even if it wasn’t if he was found to have drugs in his system he would be in deep *smile* anyway.
Yep, drivers gunna get reamed one way or the other because he was in a truck n Sam was simply walking. But then there's always the ugly cynical perspective that no-one ever wants to consider, that I always get in trouble for thinking n mentioning. As has already been reported Sam was on the phone chatting to his mum when he got hit, having seen the total lack of awareness of many people when they are on their phones. It's probably a massive contributing factor. Follow up ugly thought can also go has Sam been blood tested to see if he'd been ingesting anything prior to the accident that may have been a further contributing factor.
There's been an unfortunate n tragic loss of life which hurts many connected people, but sadly the responsibility for the incident often goes in one direction only.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, drivers gunna get reamed one way or the other because he was in a truck n Sam was simply walking. But then there's always the ugly cynical perspective that no-one ever wants to consider, that I always get in trouble for thinking n mentioning. As has already been reported Sam was on the phone chatting to his mum when he got hit, having seen the total lack of awareness of many people when they are on their phones. It's probably a massive contributing factor. Follow up ugly thought can also go has Sam been blood tested to see if he'd been ingesting anything prior to the accident that may have been a further contributing factor.
There's been an unfortunate n tragic loss of life which hurts many connected people, but sadly the responsibility for the incident often goes in one direction only.
I know someone who knew him quite well and there is no mention or thought that it was anything else but a tragic accident from what I was told.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a significant issue.

I worked in public transport for a few years. Used to read the daily incidents such as tram collision with truck or car, unruly/drunk/stoned passengers, derailments, power outages etc.

But the thing that shocked me was the number of people that would walk into the side of trams. Almost always have earbuds in, not aware of where they are or what they are doing.

Not saying this is the case re this tragic death.
Yeah. Sure is an issue. You then add in terrible sections of road where trams are operating, and its a bad recipe.

That Bridge Road stretch from Punt Road down to Hawthorn is bad. They put in all those concrete platforms and balustrades, speed humps etc near Epworth but its still bad up there. I got off at the Bridge/Church intersection after the footy a couple of weeks ago and it was chaos.

I've had reason to get off at The Spreadeagle tram stop at Bridge/Coppin a few times recently (just to stare at the wonderful architecture of the building of course), and that's a dangerous stop too. Cars racing past on very narrow gaps down the side of the tram. People walking in front of the tram as its about to take off.

Not a good stretch. You would have the added issue of 4 hooves to deal with too.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

From the history books…
Interesting concept RE.
I was at Yarra Trams for 7 years and never heard any suggestions of anything like this.
There were a lot of improvements but as @Redford says, there's a lot of further improvement required.
The network is beset with legacy issues that have been exacerbated by increased population, road traffic, poor planning/decision making and a lack of investment over many years.

From the history books…

The old trams had the wooden guard on the front which would swing back and drop a platform on to the tracks to prevent people going under the wheels.

You can see it here:

W-class-tram-177-tonnes-showing-steel-bumper-height-and-under-run-frame.png

That ledge behind the guard drops to the ground.

We've gone backwards on this.

DS

Some excellent evidence again this week of the distinct anti Richmond bias that exists in the media.

The first was last night on Midweek Tackle when one of the topics in their on screen caption at the start of the show said "Tiger Troubles". I thought uh-oh what's this going to be about. When they got to talking about Richmond 10 mins into the show, these "Tiger Troubles" were no more than Jay Clark giving an update on the CEO appointment, and that Shane Dunne had won it. In other words, what "Tiger Troubles" ? !

The second is this morning's article by perennial Richmond hater Damian Barrett on the AFL website. He's been bitching and moaning about us all year again, and this morning he's stating:

"I've seen and heard some unbelievable spin from footy clubs over the years ...the Tigers' attempted-positive take on Bolton, Rioli and Baker wanting out may be the best ever. " He then goes on to make the association with a raft of draft picks.

What positive spin from Richmond ? What reference to losing these players and getting a host of draft picks as an exciting offset has anyone at Richmond ever made ? WTF is he talking about ? Richmond has just played a dead bat to everything. They haven't even said that any of them are going at all you chronically biased ahole !

The guy absolutely hates us to the point he makes stuff up, like many in the media.

It's unreal the level of dislike a number of media reps have for Richmond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Some excellent evidence again this week of the distinct anti Richmond bias that exists in the media.

The first was last night on Midweek Tackle when one of the topics in their on screen caption at the start of the show said "Tiger Troubles". I thought uh-oh what's this going to be about. When they got to talking about Richmond 10 mins into the show, these "Tiger Troubles" were no more than Jay Clark giving an update on the CEO appointment, and that Shane Dunne had won it. In other words, what "Tiger Troubles" ? !

The second is this morning's article by perennial Richmond hater Damian Barrett on the AFL website. He's been bitching and moaning about us all year again, and this morning he's stating:

"I've seen and heard some unbelievable spin from footy clubs over the years ...the Tigers' attempted-positive take on Bolton, Rioli and Baker wanting out may be the best ever. " He then goes on to make the association with a raft of draft picks.

What positive spin from Richmond ? What reference to losing these players and getting a host of draft picks as an exciting offset has anyone at Richmond ever made ? WTF is he talking about ? Richmond has just played a dead bat to everything. They haven't even said that any of them are going at all you chronically biased ahole !

The guy absolutely hates us to the point he makes stuff up, like many in the media.

It's unreal the level of dislike a number of media reps have for Richmond.
The only positive spin I hear about the players supposedly leaving is from the media. Isn’t parrot part of that?

Spare the rod, spoil the child. Never punch a vindictive geek in the face, create an emboldened AFL jerno.

• Love
The only positive spin I hear about the players supposedly leaving is from the media. Isn’t parrot part of that?
He's an absolute douche bag that guy.

I dunno who the PR or Media Relations person at Richmond is, but I'd be getting them on the phone to this ahole and asking him to explain what/who is he referring to precisely when he says that Richmond are putting an unbelievable amount of positive spin on the supposed departures of Baker, Bolton and Rioli and the raft of draft picks that we are going to get for them.

We have never said anything of the sort. Not even remotely.

Just complete and utter, 100% made up/fabricated garbage by this douche.

Reactions: 11 users

I dunno who the PR or Media Relations person at Richmond is, but I'd be getting them on the phone to this ahole and asking him to explain what/who is he referring to precisely when he says that Richmond are putting an unbelievable amount of positive spin on the supposed departures of Baker, Bolton and Rioli and the raft of draft picks that we are going to get for them.

All very true, that's why I don't read anything he writes.

Reactions: 4 users

I think there is bad blood between parrot and Gale. And I think it stems all the way back to the 2020 hub. No doubt the AFL bosses instructed him to absolutely rip us at every opportunity.

In fairness to Barrett, i think he makes stuff up about all clubs, not just us.
He just picks "easy" targets and pretends he's an expert.

In fairness to Barrett, i think he makes stuff up about all clubs, not just us.
He just picks "easy" targets and pretends he's an expert.
And he predominantly just whinges and has pot shots at people/clubs. Hence Beveridge saying he has a “black soul”

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

You had me at the first line

To be fair, more of an enema bag when you think about it.

As expected. Cartoon lose the chance for 8th spot in final seconds and then Dumbmantle lose a winning chance to save Cartoon.

What happens on SEN this morning? Wanker Whateley.....continues his Cartoon over-obsession and can't stop rambling on about them even replaying his own raspy commentary. To finish off, he asks about what chance Cripps has compared to 3 other leaders. What a prick.