Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

A lot of people suggesting Mark Williams to coach with Hird as his senior assistant.

Do I smell another succession plan at Essendon. After all the last one worked so well!
Mark Williams? Didn’t he tell Sheedy he can go *smile* himself after Sheedy reneged on the coaching hand over deal at GWS?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The thread title is just perfect. They're a bunch of self entitled *smile* who deserve every failure that comes their way. Hope it's another decade or two in the wilderness.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Essendon is just a cesspool of a club and whats wonderful about it is their supports believe Hird will give them instant success.

• Love
Chocco is a brilliant developer of young talent. Hate to see him at the Bombers.

Reactions: 1 users
If Essendon picks Hird it means they are not aware of what their issues are.

To me Hird has suffered enough, whatever we think about his involvement the toll it took on him and his mental health was horrendous and if the back story is to be believed almost with tragic consequences. I hope that for his own sake he does not go back, the pressure to succeed would be tremendous. That's not said to defend his role, only that there is a human element to this.

Struggling clubs can learn a lot from our club if they bothered to look. The first step is to get the administration right, get the right people at the top. Then get a teaching coach who grows with the playing group and builds back the culture.

Revisiting 2012 as some sort of redemption would be a massive mistake
as much as I "dislike" Hird, that is a good post.

But if Hird was serious about becoming a senior coach, he would be best served going to a different club as an assistant for a while- even he wants the Bomber job in the long term. (What is his relationship with Hardwick like?)

Reactions: 1 users

But if Hird was serious about becoming a senior coach, he would be best served going to a different club as an assistant for a while- even he wants the Bomber job in the long term. (What is his relationship with Hardwick like?)
I agree. The last place Hird should be for his own well-being is Essendon Football Club.

The problem is that Hird believes he is the messiah

Reactions: 2 users
I’m still quietly chuffed I’ve learnt the title “Essendoom”… that’s a cracker

Reactions: 1 user
Bringing in Hird to coach Essendon is an absurdity. But given what we know, entirely expected.
The man is a cheat. Putting him in charge again, is crazy.

How is the man that oversaw the supplement saga and also was so mentally ill that he tried to harm himself allowed to coach again??

Reactions: 5 users
How is the man that oversaw the supplement saga and also was so mentally ill that he tried to harm himself allowed to coach again??
At the risk of offending many, I too struggle to reconcile how the guy in charge who happily brought in Dank and Robinson with Bomber Thompson assistance, who never really apologised, but fought kicking and screaming through the courts contesting everything (via a mystery benefactor bankrolling his legal challenges) was so badly affected that he went to hospital after taking too many tablets. But now, he wants to come back..

If you truly believe you are the messiah…..then I suppose his original “I am the best” personality has reasserted itself.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
The AFL have a duty of care and responsibility to prevent him from being head coach again. What happens if he loses the first 10 games and everyone turns on him? Who will he sue for PTSD after he has another breakdown?

Reactions: 1 user
Im nit sure an episode of mental illness should preclude someone from a coaching job, or any job, if they have medical clearance (If needed).

but yes overseeing a illicit drug injection program should be a negative.

but most of all, Hird's lack of experience over the last 7 years should rule him out of any senior position. if the bombers really want him back they should be telling him to go somewhere else and start learning. then in 3-5 years if he still wants the job he can replace whichever coach they are sacking by then.