Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

Ross Lyon: “I think Hird coaching Essendon next year is more likely than not. But Barham will go through a process.”! :oops:

Sounds like the President is desperate to keep his position for a couple of years. Brining back the prodigal son and give him a couple of years until turmoil starts again.

Someone mentioned it earlier, as much as Hird to Essendon as coach is massive laughs for the rest of the AFL, it's just going to bring up the drugs saga again with Robo #1 cheerleader reminding everyone how unjust everything was.

Reactions: 2 users
what the Hird idea says is that EFC are hung up on redemption

so hung up that they can't look forward

Jab Watson nailed it when he quoted Tony Soprano! "Remember when, is the lowest form of conversation"

Reactions: 3 users
Just be mindful alot of the media will be tiptoing around Ricky Barham. He is/was the head of sport of channel 10 or fox or viceland.
And alot of the media especially Lloyd and Co are scared if they bag him they could be made redundant very quickly.
Look out for the asss lickers because if anyone else preformed that badly in a media conference, the media wouldve eaten them alive.
Lloyd has become no1 Ricky Barham supporter.

Last edited:
As a kid who absolutely loved Kevin Sheedy ...... I'm so rapt he considers himself an Essendon person these days...
His self importance is holding the Bombers hostage and surrounded by those sycophantic past players and administrators they will continue in turmoil until they have the balls to move him on....please stay where you are Sheeds!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Duddoro sees out another coach. The list is great they say.
24 years now! To be fair he was Player/Welfare manager from ‘98-2010 but since then he’s been list manager. 12 seasons of mediocrity.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Lyons way of saying I don't want the job. Jammit

Whoever takes over will need to see good success in the first 2 years because if they don't, the calls for Hird will get louder and louder.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Whoever takes over will need to see good success in the first 2 years because if they don't, the calls for Hird will get louder and louder.
Yep. This is like watching someone on drugs (npi) going down the death path.

Reactions: 1 user
24 years now! To be fair he was Player/Welfare manager from ‘98-2010 but since then he’s been list manager. 12 seasons of mediocrity.
Recruiting manager from 98,and list manager since 2010,so wearing two hats.
If he is on a multiple year contract ,l doubt the Bombers will get rid of him,he would be on more than Rutten was on .

To be fair getting drafted by or traded to Essendon over the last 20 years has required the player to seek the help of the player welfare manager

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of people suggesting Mark Williams to coach with Hird as his senior assistant.

Do I smell another succession plan at Essendon. After all the last one worked so well!

• Haha
If Essendon picks Hird it means they are not aware of what their issues are.

To me Hird has suffered enough, whatever we think about his involvement the toll it took on him and his mental health was horrendous and if the back story is to be believed almost with tragic consequences. I hope that for his own sake he does not go back, the pressure to succeed would be tremendous. That's not said to defend his role, only that there is a human element to this.

Struggling clubs can learn a lot from our club if they bothered to look. The first step is to get the administration right, get the right people at the top. Then get a teaching coach who grows with the playing group and builds back the culture.

Revisiting 2012 as some sort of redemption would be a massive mistake

Reactions: 5 users

John Worsfold dropped a ‘bomb’ on Essendon before leaving. The club’s Clarko pursuit vindicated his view​

Nearly two years ago, then-Essendon coach John Worsfold sat down for his standard post-match press conference.

Only, this time, it was anything but standard.

“I understand that Essendon people think that Essendon should be better, but they’ve also got to understand that the competition challenges clubs now to work to the same rules – the draft and the salary cap,” he told reporters.

“No one team has any more right to be successful quicker than any other team, just because they’re a big-name club.

“You’ve got to knuckle down and commit to doing the work. Good clubs will do that and come out of it with success.”

Worsfold’s comments now seem prophetic.

The Bombers last week scrambled at the 11th-hour to try and secure Alastair Clarkson’s services. They believed the pitch of being a ‘big club’, given their standing in the VFL/AFL pantheon. could somehow eschew all reasonable and considered process that a club like North Melbourne had committed to and was steadfast on.

That they failed to land Clarkson is, in hindsight and with the benefit of Clarkson’s comments, far from surprising.

What it does do, however, is speak to the level of hubris involved in even considering the Hail Mary was a chance to come off — a hubris Worsfold warned of.

Essendon got Clarkson’s management to answer the phone last week and tee up a meeting with new president David Barham. But that was about it.

“Out of fairness to the people that I know at the Bombers … it was really out of respect for those people and I had to repay that respect in a dignified way and at least listen to what they had to say,” Clarkson said during his first press conference as North Melbourne’s newly-appointed senior coach.

“But the due diligence required to actually consider coaching a club takes a hell of a lot more than four days for me. It just ran out of time.

“In a different set of circumstances and at a different time, who knows? But this was the right fit for me right now.”

It’s little wonder why former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire reacted the way he did in the immediate aftermath of Worsfold’s comments in 2020.

“I reckon he has just left the greatest bomb of all-time with one game to go. He has just smashed them on the way out the door,” McGuire said on Triple M.

“That is as big a backhander I’ve heard going out the door. Wow, that is unbelievable.”

The pitfalls Worsfold warned of clearly counted for little in the eyes of a divided Essendon board.

One of those ‘Essendon people’ Worsfold referred to may well have been current club president Barham, who has been on the board since 2015.

He was given stern feedback from several Essendon players when he met with them last week and now must bridge an immense chasm between the club’s powerbrokers and several of the club’s senior players.

One of the club’s leaders, Zach Merrett, was telling on AFL 360 last week, even before Essendon finally terminated Ben Rutten’s contract after dragging him through the mud during the week.

“I think I copped a bit of criticism probably last year for holding out a contract about direction of the club,” he said.

“To be sitting here in a bit of a mess 12 months later is a bit disappointing.”

It must be said, Merrett went on to admit: “I’ve committed long-term to the club and I’m really keen and hopeful that in the next two, three, four, five months that they get really clear on what they want to achieve and how we’re going to achieve it and I’ll fall into line massively on that path.”

If Merrett was given a crystal ball and was able to see where the club was currently at, he would be all-but certainly be playing elsewhere right now.

Worsfold’s comments back in 2020 clearly riled some members of the Essendon hierarchy and led to a rare moment in which he read from a prepared statement to clarify his comments.

Shortly after, however, he made more comments that once again make for grim reading two years down the track.

“The reference was that it’s hard work to win a premiership and it doesn’t happen overnight,” he said.

“I’ve watched Damien Hardwick do such a great job at the Richmond Football Club starting back in 2010 but it took him seven or eight years to eventually get that premiership.

“In that period there was a massive call to change everything, to change the coach, change the board, and they stuck at it.

“I would just like to implore Essendon people to keep backing the club, to back Ben Rutten, to back this playing group to take them forward.

“It will be tough and there’s a lot of hard work to do but I know they’re up for it.”

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

David Zita from Fox Sports

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

John Worsfold dropped a ‘bomb’ on Essendon before leaving. The club’s Clarko pursuit vindicated his view​

Nearly two years ago, then-Essendon coach John Worsfold sat down for his standard post-match press conference.

Only, this time, it was anything but standard.

“I understand that Essendon people think that Essendon should be better, but they’ve also got to understand that the competition challenges clubs now to work to the same rules – the draft and the salary cap,” he told reporters.

“No one team has any more right to be successful quicker than any other team, just because they’re a big-name club.

“You’ve got to knuckle down and commit to doing the work. Good clubs will do that and come out of it with success.”

Worsfold’s comments now seem prophetic.

The Bombers last week scrambled at the 11th-hour to try and secure Alastair Clarkson’s services. They believed the pitch of being a ‘big club’, given their standing in the VFL/AFL pantheon. could somehow eschew all reasonable and considered process that a club like North Melbourne had committed to and was steadfast on.

That they failed to land Clarkson is, in hindsight and with the benefit of Clarkson’s comments, far from surprising.

What it does do, however, is speak to the level of hubris involved in even considering the Hail Mary was a chance to come off — a hubris Worsfold warned of.

Essendon got Clarkson’s management to answer the phone last week and tee up a meeting with new president David Barham. But that was about it.

“Out of fairness to the people that I know at the Bombers … it was really out of respect for those people and I had to repay that respect in a dignified way and at least listen to what they had to say,” Clarkson said during his first press conference as North Melbourne’s newly-appointed senior coach.

“But the due diligence required to actually consider coaching a club takes a hell of a lot more than four days for me. It just ran out of time.

“In a different set of circumstances and at a different time, who knows? But this was the right fit for me right now.”

It’s little wonder why former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire reacted the way he did in the immediate aftermath of Worsfold’s comments in 2020.

“I reckon he has just left the greatest bomb of all-time with one game to go. He has just smashed them on the way out the door,” McGuire said on Triple M.

“That is as big a backhander I’ve heard going out the door. Wow, that is unbelievable.”

The pitfalls Worsfold warned of clearly counted for little in the eyes of a divided Essendon board.

One of those ‘Essendon people’ Worsfold referred to may well have been current club president Barham, who has been on the board since 2015.

He was given stern feedback from several Essendon players when he met with them last week and now must bridge an immense chasm between the club’s powerbrokers and several of the club’s senior players.

One of the club’s leaders, Zach Merrett, was telling on AFL 360 last week, even before Essendon finally terminated Ben Rutten’s contract after dragging him through the mud during the week.

“I think I copped a bit of criticism probably last year for holding out a contract about direction of the club,” he said.

“To be sitting here in a bit of a mess 12 months later is a bit disappointing.”

It must be said, Merrett went on to admit: “I’ve committed long-term to the club and I’m really keen and hopeful that in the next two, three, four, five months that they get really clear on what they want to achieve and how we’re going to achieve it and I’ll fall into line massively on that path.”

If Merrett was given a crystal ball and was able to see where the club was currently at, he would be all-but certainly be playing elsewhere right now.

Worsfold’s comments back in 2020 clearly riled some members of the Essendon hierarchy and led to a rare moment in which he read from a prepared statement to clarify his comments.

Shortly after, however, he made more comments that once again make for grim reading two years down the track.

“The reference was that it’s hard work to win a premiership and it doesn’t happen overnight,” he said.

“I’ve watched Damien Hardwick do such a great job at the Richmond Football Club starting back in 2010 but it took him seven or eight years to eventually get that premiership.

“In that period there was a massive call to change everything, to change the coach, change the board, and they stuck at it.

“I would just like to implore Essendon people to keep backing the club, to back Ben Rutten, to back this playing group to take them forward.

“It will be tough and there’s a lot of hard work to do but I know they’re up for it.”

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

David Zita from Fox Sports
Exactly. The hubris of this mob is beyond belief. In Barham’s presser he again referred to the “proud” club and greats of yesteryear. Most of them are pushing up daisies and have been for decades. It’s as stupid as us referring to Dan Minogue, Jack Dyer and co. It is simply irrelevant in this day and age. It’s fine to look back on achievements of the past but if you do that continually and believe that because you were successful in the past, you will not move forward in the future and the present is gonna leave you in the poop. The really weird thing is this inherent belief that Essendon people are better than anyone else. If that was the case, why don’t they have 120 premierships and $10billion in the Bank?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users