Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

Freezer said:
"We've set ourselves to win a premiership inside three years," McGuire said.

They get stuck into Benny, but how much LSD was Eddie on when he came up with that one?

You won't win a Flag with that list McMoron!

Malthouse's fine coaching skills are hiding the fact that that list is very ordinary.

this is freakin hilarious ... not only did they lose 2.5m last year, but they should have made 3.2m!!! suffer scums !

I also like the call to arms around the premiership inside 3 years. I can imagine them now sitting at the lexus centre, going thru the great speeches in history and thinking they should do the equivalent of landing a man on the moon within 10 years. So they pick this one winning a premiership within 3 years ... derrrrr!!!

It's gonna be a bit hard winning a premiership when finishing in bottom 4 next year.

if he's still there in 3 years time and they haven't won a flag, I'm picturing his speech will start along the lines of ......."now I won't criticize Mick, who was the senior coach at the time...........I take full responsibility.........blah blah blah......."

Freezer said:

:rofl

lol. had a chuckle myself about that one. Looks like Ed is trying to hold on for a few more years, he can see the end is near and is clutching at straws to save himself here.

I can just imagine what he would say in 3 years time after the pies win the spoon. "Look I'm not going to blame Malthouse or the coaching staff about this, I'll wear the blame...

The great advantage Eddie has in that the past Colingwood presidents have been terrible so he looks good to their fans in comparison.

But lets face it, his main achievement has been to make the most popular club in Australia run at a profit most years, he has the easiest Presidents job in the AFL. Sure the Pies keep winning but it's not that hard when you can afford the best coach in the AFL and get the easiest draw every year. That 'bake' where he told the Pie's players that he sacrificed logies for the Pies so they should sacrifice for the club too was embarrassing, he jumped the shark at that moment.

The best thing going for him is that we will probably be better than his replacement, who on past history will be a racist bogan or a spiv hack businessman.

crackertiger said:
You won't win a Flag with that list McMoron!

Malthouse's fine coaching skills are hiding the fact that that list is very ordinary.

Since when has the Scum ever needed a decent list to play finals football?

The biased draw and sweet hearted umpires are all they ever need.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
The great advantage Eddie has in that the past Colingwood presidents have been terrible so he looks good to their fans in comparison.

But lets face it, his main achievement has been to make the most popular club in Australia run at a profit most years,

I reckon that job has been harder than it looks. People forget they were a basket case when he took over. He's made them one of the best run clubs in the league. The main problem it seems to me is properly assessing Malthouse's performance.

McChins is one of those exec types that perform the best when there is chaos. Liken it to a Captain on a ship. In a massive storm you need to be quick thinking, short term, with a view of getting out of troubled waters quickly. Eddie does that very well.

But often, those same types of leaders fail at strategic planning. When they have time to think & strategise for the long term, they tend to *smile* it up.

He's done a great job at Collingwood. This year aside he has got the finances in order, got them lexus centre, MCG as their home great with a sweetheart deal, best draw in the AFL and is the only president who, in my opinion, can get Demestos to change his mind.

I reckon the best thing for Collingwood is for Eddie to step down, but there is no way his ego will allow thast to happen.

IanG said:
I reckon that job has been harder than it looks. People forget they were a basket case when he took over. He's made them one of the best run clubs in the league. The main problem it seems to me is properly assessing Malthouse's performance.

But didn’t they only get in that position because their previous Presidents were racist bogans or a spiv hack businessman

Freezer said:
crackertiger said:
Couldn't agree anymore, I'm sick of Collingwood supporters boasting about their team, yet they have the likes of Josh Fraser, Shane O'Bree and Nick Maxwell in their leadership group!!!!! :don't know :don't know

Legends of 1980 said:
ahh eddie eddie eddie. I knew you couldn't help yourself and not let me down ;D

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24816755-19742,00.html

"....I'm not going to pot (former club executives) Greg Swann and Eugene Arocca; I'm the president, I'll cop my whack," McGuire told the more than 500 members in attendance......"

No, not going to pot them but felt the need to mention them though didn't you?
Good to see your usual tactic isn't just used on the general public, but to your faithful. Throw in a quick jab to make everyone think of them before mentioning yourself. Smart,but getting tiresome.

You've hit the nail right on the head Legends of 1980!

A typical back handed swipe by the person that's preceding over all the decisions the club is making. Any manager worth his salt knows the buck stops at the top! I read a book about Eddie and his dealings at the top of the 9 network! Can't remember the title, but it was a real eye opener to his ego, and how badly it effects his decision making process as a business man.

frickenel said:
You've hit the nail right on the head Legends of 1980!

A typical back handed swipe by the person that's preceding over all the decisions the club is making. Any manager worth his salt knows the buck stops at the top! I read a book about Eddie and his dealings at the top of the 9 network! Can't remember the title, but it was a real eye opener to his ego, and how badly it effects his decision making process as a business man.

seems eddie is boning again....albeit with a velvet hammer....

Couldn't help himself again in today's Sun HUN. On the one hand he wishes Ben & the Tigers good luck but then spends the majority of his article talking about the negatives. The envy is obvious but this is coming from the president of an opposition club under the disguise of a journalist. He can't be both. The bottom line is we have a Collingwood President criticising us and getting away with it. Eat your heart out Eddie. You know you would love to have him but you didn't have the gonads! Concentrate on your own problems (Nick who? $8million! DIDAK! SHAW!) Fancy having your new Captain's press conference on the same day as the biggest press conference in AFL history! Didn't want to talk about any of the above, eh?

I heard Travis Cloke was bashed (and pissed) in QLD with a broken jaw.

Not good for Fat Arse McGuire considering training starts in less than a week.

TigerForce said:
I heard Travis Cloke was bashed (and p!ssed) in QLD with a broken jaw.

Not good for Fat Arse McGuire considering training starts in less than a week.

Yeah TF just heard it on the news.

WesternTiger said:
Yeah TF just heard it on the news.

mmm, mixed emotion, well part of me doesn't think that sort of things should happen to anyone. But on the other had if it had to happen, it's not exactly heartbreaking it happened to Travis of all people.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
mmm, mixed emotion, well part of me doesn't think that sort of things should happen to anyone. But on the other had if it had to happen, it's not exactly heartbreaking it happened to Travis of all people.

Why Travis in particular? (wonders if I missed something).

Will be great watching the Collingwood spin machine in action after this one.

The club has issues with its image as it is, this cannot help.

Especially if we start getting reports about the collingwood boys being the antagonists and/or being really drunk etc. Eddie must be WRAPPED ( ;D).

I bet he won't be running out quick talking about "scum friends" and the like, I bet Shaw-Didak gate scarred him for life.