Dwayne Russell has a sook over Jack Riewoldt | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dwayne Russell has a sook over Jack Riewoldt

Guys........ please - stop, stop, stop

I'm not going to defend Russell. I also was irked by his comments.

But - lets clarify exactly what happened.

In the final (third?) quarter Pickering joked - "if he kicks eight, I'll run down and interview him"

At the time it was pretty humourous - and slotted in well with what was obviously going to be a great win.

He then went on to kick ten - and Pickering true to his word ran down to the ground.

It was at this stage that Russell bleated.

The interview was never with Russell - and please be clear - Pickering didn't complain.

Pickering made a comment (when then interviewing Newman) but there was no malice.

Russell was a TOOL!

But he was not giving/asking for the interview.

He was making sad sack/sour grapes comments from the box.

Just venting his spleen that the MEDIA isn't the all powerful God they like to think they are.

ToraToraTora said:
If there's one guy in the media I'd refuse an interview from, it's Donk Russell. JR can do no wrong.

+1. DR is a flog. he's also the worst commentator in the game and thinks his standing in the media is higher than what it actually is.

I just created a group on facebook petitioning: "I reckon I can find more than no people that loathe foxsports afl coverage".

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Hahaha. Bandwagon's full Dwayne, *smile* off.
All interviews to Derrrrwyane Russell should be refused as engagement can seriously damage their IQ.

BTW Deerrwyane, Tambling says *smile* off too.

nwonash said:
Maybe Dwayne Russell can ask Danni Minogue for an interview.

That comment really annoyed me and I haven't forgotten it - was it the game against Port?

"Jack Riewoldt, the Danni Minogue of the Riewoldt family"

Maybe the comment got back to Jack?

Hopefully he tells Cometti to jam it too, as he's made some pretty ordinary comments about Jack as well!

One-eyed Tiger said:
Hopefully he tells Cometti to jam it too, as he's made some pretty ordinary comments about Jack as well!

Would love to hear Cometti's thoughts on the merits of becoming an Eagles member after his comments the other week, considering the two clubs are in more or less the same position.

At the risk of being poleaxed by all and sundry I can actually understand what Dwayne Russell, was saying. In this age of professional sports and marketing for members, what a golden opportunity missed. Also dont forget the TV rights deals are what keeps our club (and others alive). Good on Jack for standing on principle, but I sincerely hope this isn't club policy.

It would be great for long suffering Tiger supporters to have heard a word or two from one their up and coming champions.

Also for all the Frawley and BT knockers, I thought they were pretty good today, they got as excited as most Richmond people would about our performance today, and by their commentray they absolutely love Jack.

Dickheads at Fox had Cousin Nicks name up on the scoreboard alongside JAAAAACKS goal tally and constantly referred to Nicks cousin Jack Reiwoldt so I'm mighty pleased that JAAAAAACK fresh aired the fools.
This young man is a seriously talented player in his own right and should be given due respect for his performances this year not constantly tagged as some second rate leftover relation who's only getting a mention because of the other bloke's reputation.

thejinx said:
Agree - and he gave the ball to a little girl - who would have been absolutely wrapped. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Good on ya Jack - who gives a sh!t what Dwayne Russell thinks. You put the team and supporters first, instead of yourself which just shows what a champion you are becoming. He's cocky in all the right ways. :clap

Perfect post jinxman, I couldn't put it any better myself! :clap :hihi

getbacktoglorydays said:
At the risk of being poleaxed by all and sundry I can actually understand what Dwayne Russell, was saying. In this age of professional sports and marketing for members, what a golden opportunity missed. Also dont forget the TV rights deals are what keeps our club (and others alive). Good on Jack for standing on principle, but I sincerely hope this isn't club policy.

It would be great for long suffering Tiger supporters to have heard a word or two from one their up and coming champions.

Also for all the Frawley and BT knockers, I thought they were pretty good today, they got as excited as most Richmond people would about our performance today, and by their commentray they absolutely love Jack.

Agree with the commentary - was quite good today...then again so were we!

As for Jack snubbing fox - no problem with it. In the past, whenever we have a player who has a cracker, media and the fans jump all over them and we loose perspective on team first. If I'm not mistaken, Jack's reason for declining was related to "it's not about me, it's about the team" - this is terrific. Besides DR is one commentator who never stops reminding us about our poor trade history i.e. Rodan, Tambling etc - and he's also one of the fox team who criticised Jack earlier in the year for his change room demeanor...

Hear an interesting comment by Bartlett this morning, he said that Jack is the only player this year to seriously threaten St Kilda's backline (single handed).

Scribblar said:
Jude Donnelly, the media manager at Richmond put her arm around Jack just near the race and whispered something in his ear.
Good advice for Jack I guess.

Btw, how much longer before we have a new Media Manager?
I believe she might be needing a rest after doing a great job, and looking for quieter, less 24/7 surroundings.

;)

I don't want to see the media manager on the field. Especially when the team is celebrating victory. That is the players and coaches domain. By all means have a word to the players in the rooms.

Sir said:
Guys........ please - stop, stop, stop

I'm not going to defend Russell. I also was irked by his comments.

But - lets clarify exactly what happened.

In the final (third?) quarter Pickering joked - "if he kicks eight, I'll run down and interview him"

At the time it was pretty humourous - and slotted in well with what was obviously going to be a great win.

He then went on to kick ten - and Pickering true to his word ran down to the ground.

It was at this stage that Russell bleated.

The interview was never with Russell - and please be clear - Pickering didn't complain.

Pickering made a comment (when then interviewing Newman) but there was no malice.

Russell was a TOOL!

But he was not giving/asking for the interview.

He was making sad sack/sour grapes comments from the box.

Just venting his spleen that the MEDIA isn't the all powerful God they like to think they are.

Great Post Sir!

Put the issue back in perspective. :clap

Don't understand all the venom - he is only doing a job, and OK so some of you guys don;t like it - well turn down the volume. Dwayne might not like how some of you guys do your job either. Commentating is not the doddle it looks from the big blue comfy chair ;D

I think the club was smart in limiting JR in any event. It was 10 goals against an ordinary defence lacking class (and Glass). But good on him, the result is in the record books now.

You only have to see Jack's work in his handycam moments to know how far he has to go in the "talking in public" stakes. He's still quite immature in that area - but learning fast if his 'team first' responses and credits given to the delivery are anything to go by.

ICE said:
I don't want to see the media manager on the field. Especially when the team is celebrating victory. That is the players and coaches domain. By all means have a word to the players in the rooms.

Yeah I thought that was a bit bizarre - although she's just doing her job and giving Jack advise re: the media (interviews etc). Probably should have done it in the rooms though as you said.