Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

I don't want to say goodbyr either, but I believe we have to. Having Dusty as the Super-sub would be too painful to see and it would still require him to keep up a high level of fitness to be able to do the moves and kick the goals we have come to admire. Based on what I've seen this year, his desire to train hard won't be there so it would be embarrassing to see him struggle whether it's with us or the Suns. It won't be good for him or the Suns for him to try to play next year but I'm happy to be proven wrong if it gives him a new challenge and re-kindles a desire to train hard and play well. We were fortunate to see him at his best and that's what I want to remember.
I see your point of view.
From what I have seen over the years, and recently, I have never suspected less than 100% dedication from Dusty.
I agree that his days of playing out a full game are gone but that may make him the ideal sub.
He would cost us nothing, given his merchandising power.

Reckon few players will play with more freedom and initiative too. Hard not to give the ball to Dusty if he calls for it
Doubt he even calls for it half the time, there's players just dishing of to Dusty simply because he's the Dusty one who'll do something special with the pill just because.

How would everyone feel if we saw Dusty in GC jumper kicking goals against us and doing everything possible to beat us?
Would we just sit back and cheer for Dusty and Dimma?
If he's wearing a red jumper then he's not a Tiger n he'll be held in the same regard as every other player or coach not in a Tigers jumper on game day.
Always be a Tiger legend, same as Dimma or Benny. Except for any period that they wear an oppo jumper or hat.

Reactions: 5 users
You dont reckon he has been training hard this year?

He is getting old and he has been getting injuries, but unless you KNOW he hasn't been training hard that is s big of a *smile* thing to say about a legend and someone who from all reports has always been a very good trainer.
I get what you're saying and perhaps he was training hard, but in the early games this year I saw him getting caught with the ball more often than I'd like to see and his kicking was really off. Was it lack of fitness or skills work or a drop off in explosive power to break away? Even in his 300th game he was hardly seen after that 1st qtr goal even though he gathered 13 possessions I think. Was he slightly injured then? Did he have the required fitness to be more involved? Those questions need to be asked by GC if they think he will help them to a premiership.

I don't think GC would be thinking Dusty would be helping them to a premiership . . . leading them to a marketing bonanza with the opportunity to garner some media space up there is another matter.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think GC would be thinking Dusty would be helping them to a premiership . . . leading them to a marketing bonanza with the opportunity to garner some media space up there is another matter.

DS
Not sure that role would suit Dusty given his desire for privacy. If they recruit him as a player he'd need to be better than he's been for us this year. He could be a marketing bonanza if he is playing well enough to attract new memberships and sponsorships but that's unlikely unless his fitness improves a lot.

I've shifted ground quite a lot on Dusty.

If we are going to lose 2 of Daniel, Bolton and Bakes, the supporters will need a Richoesque reason to go to the footy while we rebuild. My hope is that Dusty stays with us for around 600k and acts as a Bruest-style sub. only required for limited minutes. I reckon the Puntroadenders and the Grog Squad would be more than content to roar the joint down when Dusty takes off the vest.

And he will inspire our new kids to be great

We have lost too much too quickly. Dusty is our heart and soul just like Richo was when we were putrid.

Many of us went to the footy and sat in the rain and cold because we simply loved Richo. Histrionics and all.

It's getting hard for all of us. We need Dusty there.

We lost Cotch, Dave, Shedda and the immortal Jackmond all too quickly.

Peggy, Dimma and very soon Benny will be just revered names from the past.

We all know Dusty will never be like he was, but it's become emotional when I consider the Tiges without it's most exciting player ever.

He's 33.

And he is Dusty.

I for one, don't want to say goodbye.

The prospect of the occasional future cameo will be enough for me.
I’ve shifted the other way.
Acknowledge his contribution and say goodbye.
Retire or GCS I’m not fussed.

Reactions: 1 user
Dusty hasnt been peak Dusty for a few seasons. Though this year Ive roared at games as loud as I ever have. The first goal in the 300th. Dreamtime goal.
But the Duz champ doesnt have the same burst out of packs. He's a fraction older and that fraction has brought him back to the pack.
Plus rule changes.
How regularly is he caught holding the ball. Trapped in congestion with bad guys swarming around him, the shark now surrounded by baby sharks eager to take down the bull.
So when he comes back is there a change needed?

Dusty had the ability and the licence to take on the world which broke games, broke cats' hearts and won flags.
But is it now time to play to his capabilities? Giving the first option and less pack busting bustling. A role playing Dusty can still be valuable over the next 2 years with his unmatched ability to bring teammates into the game and create scoring opportunities. Is it time to shelve the dont argue?

Reactions: 1 user
He could be a marketing bonanza if he is playing well enough to attract new memberships and sponsorships but that's unlikely unless his fitness improves a lot.

If Martin joins GC, they will get 31 new members and a story about how a couple in Mermaid Beach changed their dogs name to Dusty.

And Andrew Dillon, Dimma and Ralph Carr will be telling all what a raging success/master stroke recruiting Dusty up there has been, how it has grown the game, how GC is now a destination club, and how they caught the NRL napping in their own backyard.

The NRLs feeble response will be to confirm a second international team in PNG and another new team in WA.

Lay down misere right there.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Could be he is still playing but is just out injured at the moment.
If you read the post properly I was just answering a question as to any possible reason why he would play one extra game and then retire if that’s his intention. I wasn’t saying that was the case.

I knew when I posted that someone who didn’t read or comprehend the conversation would jump all over it. Wish I could pick the Tatts numbers so easily.

Wonder how his back is going.
Up for a small flight over to Area 51?
Club might have to shell out and have the King sitting in business class 1A.