Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Yes 'pretty sure' is one of the secret herbs and spices.

If he was to go there it would be hard to see it being worthwhile going up, doing a full pre-season say for only 1 year and $600k. Probably diminish his brand doing that.

Would have to be more to it. Say 2 years with ample sponsor and other financial/lifestyle opportunities. Probably still stay in the top 5% of AFL earners even with a lower base salary.

If he was to go there it would be hard to see it being worthwhile going up, doing a full pre-season say for only 1 year and $600k. Probably diminish his brand doing that.

Would have to be more to it. Say 2 years with ample sponsor and other financial/lifestyle opportunities. Probably still stay in the top 5% of AFL earners even with a lower base salary.
They've already been saying the offer is 2 years and possibly only playing home games. I really doubt Dusty's incentive would be the money and certainly not GC to expend. Likely looking for a more laid back, less in your face environment which he'd easily be able to get in QLD as league is the predominant code. Anyway it's all hearsay, if it happens I'd be very surprised to see a compo pick. I can't see him being paid top 5% which now will be well above $800k a year since the significant salary cap increase for 2024. In the end Dusty owes us nothing, he deserves whatever he desires from here. In the meantime let the media circus continue.

Reactions: 1 user
Only playing home games would be a bad look and possibly unsettle the team. This is not Dusty circa 2017-2020 we're talking about.

Also, I recall the AFL coming out 12 months ago or so when there was talk of Dusty going to GC, that there would be no ambassadorial money for him if he did.

I do wonder what the long term value of being a one club legend vs a quick sugar hit would do to brand value over the course of a lifetime.
Hope Dusty is considering the big picture.

Reactions: 3 users
They've already been saying the offer is 2 years and possibly only playing home games. I really doubt Dusty's incentive would be the money and certainly not GC to expend. Likely looking for a more laid back, less in your face environment which he'd easily be able to get in QLD as league is the predominant code. Anyway it's all hearsay, if it happens I'd be very surprised to see a compo pick. I can't see him being paid top 5% which now will be well above $800k a year since the significant salary cap increase for 2024. In the end Dusty owes us nothing, he deserves whatever he desires from here. In the meantime let the media circus continue.

Yeah, change of lifestyle would be a big factor. Think base salary would be lowish for him, like say $600k, and GC have a pretty tight salary cap., but with ambassador and ASA payments could easily bring him up into the top 5%.

I get why people would say money is not a factor but the alternative view is that $600k x 2 is still $1.2 million ( less tax and his fee to the merkin) that he wouldn't get by not playing. Dusty is 33 not 63 and he most probably has one chance in his life to make money and wants to maximise it. I wouldn't blame him for that.

It depends on what Richmond offers him

I do wonder what the long term value of being a one club legend vs a quick sugar hit would do to brand value over the course of a lifetime.
Hope Dusty is considering the big picture.
If he wins a flag with them then it will enhance his legacy as he will go out on top. If he doesn't win one or fades away due to injury or form then it it will take away from his legacy as it will appear he played a few years too long.

From my perspective, I think it would be a shame to see him playing with GC, but it's the way things are going, just look at American sports.

What is clear is that he won't be playing in yellow and black after 2024.

How would everyone feel if we saw Dusty in GC jumper kicking goals against us and doing everything possible to beat us?
Would we just sit back and cheer for Dusty and Dimma?

I have just watched a YT clip from Footy Classf. "discussing" Dustin. I'll sum it up so you don't have to watch it. PPPFFFTTTGGGGGFFTHH. That's wet *smile* fart BTW. 7mins of utter drivel tripe.

• Haha
How would everyone feel if we saw Dusty in GC jumper kicking goals against us and doing everything possible to beat us?
There are some ex richmond players I still barrack for at other teams. For instance I loved seeing BEllis doing well at the Suns, still a big fan of the bobble.
I would probably feel the same way about Dusty except when he was playing against us. I certainly wouldn't want to hear the crowd booing him but I suspect Richmond crowds wouldn't do that.
I still feel like Dimma didn't do the right thing by our club. I wouldn't boo him but I wouldn't cheer either

Reactions: 3 users
Right, so not included in judgement of compensatory draft pick? So even less chance. Will he be getting ambassadorial payments? I'm not sure Dusty would want work that requires public speaking.
If he takes the AFL’s money he won’t have a choice about that. Dusty going to the Gold Coast is going to have a negative outcome for everyone involved, except maybe Carr who will pocket his percentage of the deal.

If GC thing is a done deal then I'd be OK for it to be announced to the fans before season's end. Dusty's final game might also be v Hawks. Not sure I'd wanna see him play GC in final game but on the flip side would be awesome if he played and we knocked em outta finals.

From a purely commercial point, they could declare the GC game as his final game for Richmond. Increase attendance from 30k to 70k+ and have it as his final sendoff. Makes total sense commercially.

IF this happens, all the Tigers will get out of it is a reputational hit. Compensation? Why do they need compensation? They won a Premiership in 2020.

Dow would run right throw Dusty and put him in hospital for weeks!!

• Wow
It sounds like he is off to the Gold Coast.

It will be really sad to see one of our all time greats play for another club, but you can't blame him. It all likelihood given the state of our list we will be bottom four for the next two years. Why not go and try and win another flag like Tom Brady did with Tampa Bay.

The longer this goes on, the bigger the circus. If I was the club I'd be wanting an answer pretty soon as to what Dusty is doing. The club deserves that much. Maybe they already know..

Reactions: 4 users