Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dusty is NOT a part of our future success. Love the guy and his highlight reel is one to watch and savoir for all time.

ALL I am interested in is Success and winning Flag 14!

The club needs to get their heads out of the clouds and start the plan for success.
We are at a pivotal point in time its either build for future success or Possum Poo in the club rooms in 5 years.

Reactions: 8 users
The Barrett article wasn’t terrible but the last bit:

“Richmond has allowed itself to meander through the back half of 2023 and for all of 2024. It was validated in having a crack at being a mix of Geelong and Sydney in the hope of perpetually being a Grand Final possibility, but it simply hasn't worked. The three flags are distant memories only now, not a base for more success. This is a club in limbo, with tough decisions needing to be made by tough people very soon.”

...is kind of stupid. I assume the club decided to ride this sucker to the end of the line, much like Brisbane and Hawthorn did. Keep the list together and wring out that sucker until there’s no more juice left in the orange. In 2022 we were making a push until the ARC final. Last year was a disaster with Hardwick but the decision to have one last crack with the list wasn’t a bad one. You can argue if this is preferable to being ‘up there’ for year after year but only winning one (or none). But that’s the path we chose. As for the flags being a distant memory…that’s laughable. They are fresh in my memory. Three in four years. Something fans of other clubs can only dream about.
The fact we are on track to get a top 2 pick means we are not in limbo. The rebuild starts in the draft.

To finish 10-12 would have implied we were in limbo.

Reactions: 6 users
The major constant we hear about Dusty is about how loyal he is.
In his talk with Jack after his 300th he said "I love this club & I love the Tiger Army, thank you for showing me so much love."

Are they the words of a bloke who's going to p off to another club. I guess we'll see.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not fazed what he does.
I do know for a fact he loves this club.
He has never hid that. Was plain to see as he walked off a couple of weeks ago.

I would be surprised if he did play for us next year and I would be staggered if he played for the suns or anyone else.

Reactions: 4 users
This guy is a serious drop-kick. Has flip-flopped over last few weeks each scenario below individually as virtually factual and now he mentions all the different scenario possibilities. How do these guys keep their jobs? Factual reporting used to be a thing once.

Channel 9’s Tom Morris reports of the three scenarios facing Martin — stay at Richmond, move to Gold Coast or retire, the former is the least likely outcome.

It's done': David Schwarz drops Dustin Martin trade bomb, says he's '100 per cent' at the Suns in 2025
Not trying to be disrespectful but given Dusty’s age, his form over the past couple of seasons and the amount of football he’s been missing due to injuries why would any other club be interested in signing him ?

It might sell a few memberships and be a headline for a while but on field he’s a shadow of the player he was. GC might chuck him in the forward pocket but is that really how the great man should or would want to end his career.

I can’t see him being the same coach and mentor at another club where he isn’t familiar with the players either.

For me it’s either stay at the club he loves and who truly loves him back or retire and ride off into AFL’s and more importantly Richmond’s Hall of at Fame / Legend status

Reactions: 2 users
It's obviously a done deal to GC. After what the OX came out with, you would not reply with this if you were Dimma. That's ok, will always love the champ and best for both clubs if he leaves or retires.

'Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick says the Suns would be “crazy” not to investigate the possibility of luring Dustin Martin to the club as one AFL legend declared he was surprised it was a consideration.'

Not trying to be disrespectful but given Dusty’s age, his form over the past couple of seasons and the amount of football he’s been missing due to injuries why would any other club be interested in signing him ?

It might sell a few memberships and be a headline for a while but on field he’s a shadow of the player he was. GC might chuck him in the forward pocket but is that really how the great man should or would want to end his career.

I can’t see him being the same coach and mentor at another club where he isn’t familiar with the players either.

For me it’s either stay at the club he loves and who truly loves him back or retire and ride off into AFL’s and more importantly Richmond’s Hall of at Fame / Legend status
And not just signing him, but according to 100% Schwarz it’s a 2 year deal. Schwarz is talking like he’s personally sat down and discussed this with Dustin, and we all know damn well he hasn’t. IF it happens there will be no winners and 3 losers: the RFC, Gold Coast and, most importantly, Dustin himself.

If that's the way the Suns wont to play, then fine, we have a couple of sneaky tricks up our sleeves.

Get Dusty into the rehab room with Luke Meehan.

He wont be able to walk for a year after Meehan is finished with him

• Haha
So potentially following the Dimma playbook. Burnt out / Had enough / Look disinterested / Walking away from football - WAIT A MINUTE, I've found my love of the game again:

1719979325152.png

Good luck to him. If he does go - I look forward to all the pressers where they drag him out to speak.

i respect Dimma for what he did to help things at Punt Road...

but getting in the ear of Richmond players - and we know he has - turns him into a snake

and sure, people are allowed to talk, whatever, but this is partly a result of him getting the polite shove out the door

Reactions: 6 users
It's obviously a done deal to GC. After what the OX came out with, you would not reply with this if you were Dimma. That's ok, will always love the champ and best for both clubs if he leaves or retires.

'Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick says the Suns would be “crazy” not to investigate the possibility of luring Dustin Martin to the club as one AFL legend declared he was surprised it was a consideration.'
You seriously reckon its a done deal because a footy journo said so?

• Haha
Where there is smoke......
I don't mind if they go but I do mind how they go. For me Dimmas move was a dog act and I don't care what anyone uses as an excuse. To say you are exhausted and worn out only to miraculously find a burst of energy because you were given a new set of keys just doesn't sit well. If Dimma had come out and said I've taken this team as far as I can, I'm still hungry but need to find a new challenge I would have respected that. Now if Dusty continues dishing up what he has been the last few weeks and then decides to move to GC and he also miraculously finds energy and starts performing again then that is also a dog act. My loyalty is to the RFC not any one player. Forever grateful for what they achieved but I don't like dog acts. That is why Astbury and Houli types will always be true legends for the way they left this team.

Reactions: 8 users
Turns out it's a back injury. Has been running like 2024 Tex Walker for much of this year. Walker? Back injury. We are managing it to some extent. We'll get some more info this year.

Why don't they tell us it's a back injury? To reduce the number of opponents jumping into his back.

Soleus would have been better. Hopefully that's a factor too but, eh. The only information we have is not good.

Reactions: 1 user