Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Did D. Martin actually say he was retiring ?

The club did. But did D. Martin ?
I don't think he did. It was heavily focused on Thanks and I love you. That's all I ever heard,

By the way, the Ox never batted an eyelid when the "retirement" story surfaced. Just said "It aint over yet".

Reactions: 1 users
Did D. Martin actually say he was retiring ?

The club did. But did D. Martin ?
He didn’t say anything. Never does. Can’t imagine the club would’ve said that if he didn’t tell them that.

Regardless if it wasn’t the case he should’ve clarified it via his manager. Would’ve been the respectful thing to do after a very mutually beneficial 15 year relationship.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think he did. It was heavily focused on Thanks and I love you. That's all I ever heard,

By the way, the Ox never batted an eyelid when the "retirement" story surfaced. Just said "It aint over yet".
Again, he obviously led the club to believe he was retiring. No way they make that announcement if he hasn’t told them that.

I go back to a conversation with a workmate in Geelong, whose husband was good mates & played tennis with Grigga. Grigga was finishing up at Geelong and heading to GC and said that Dusty would be on the GC in 25. I shrugged it off at the time but it makes you wonder for how long this has been coming.

Reactions: 4 users
I go back to a conversation with a workmate in Geelong, whose husband was good mates & played tennis with Grigga. Grigga was finishing up at Geelong and heading to GC and said that Dusty would be on the GC in 25. I shrugged it off at the time but it makes you wonder for how long this has been coming.
Probably as long as Hardwick was talking to the AFL and Gold Coast before he jumped ship after selling all the draft capital for Hopper and Taranto. A lot longer than the parties involved would have you believe.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

He gave a retirement speech to the players. So something happened internally.

Reactions: 3 users
Exactly. Tom Lynch was certainly under the impression he'd retired & was never going to the GC so he's also blindisded his team mates if that's the case. Honestly that seems very un-Dusty like to me.
It does seem unDusty like but it looks like it’s happened.

Not sure what Jon Ralph is getting at here in an explanation as to why it’d be harder for Dusty to play with the Suns:

“The Suns played at 10 different venues this year – they were away from the Gold Coast for 13 of 23 games, compared to a Richmond side that played 13 at the MCG.”

Richmond played at 9 different venues this season, 1 less than GC. Yes they only played 9 on the GC but that’s because there’s only 1 team that uses that ground. We had 13 at the G which is shared by 5 teams.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what Jon Ralph is getting at here in an explanation as to why it’d be harder for Dusty to play with the Suns:

“The Suns played at 10 different venues this year – they were away from the Gold Coast for 13 of 23 games, compared to a Richmond side that played 13 at the MCG.”

Richmond played at 9 different venues this season, 1 less than GC. Yes they only played 9 on the GC but that’s because there’s only 1 team that uses that ground. We had 13 at the G which is shared by 5 teams.
Ralph is a *smile* idiot.

Reactions: 5 users
This is not about Dusty the footballer. This is about Dusty the man. We all know what he has gone through over the last few years. We also know how close he is to Dimma. I want Dusty the man to be happy and healthy. I also want to see Dusty the footballer grace the stage once more.

If it is with GC, so be it! This will never, ever diminish or tarnish his legacy. In fact, his legend will simply grow!

• Dislike
It does seem unDusty like but it looks like it’s happened.

Just reading the story when Brendon Fevola talked about this back in May. It sounds spot on (except Martin played a couple more games past 300)
He even mentioned Richmond giving him a retirement game.

From May 28, 2024 -

“My mail is that he will retire after he plays his 300th game. Say thank you to the Richmond fans after his 300th. Have a couple of months off. Get fit. Get his head right.

“His manager has been looking at real estate in the Gold Coast for Dusty to move up and rekindle his friendship with (Richmond premiership coach) Damien Hardwick, who now coaches the Gold Coast Suns.

“He’ll be getting paid a lot of money to go up to the Gold Coast, sit at full-forward, help those young kids; they’ve never played finals before in their history. So, they’ll get him up there and be the centrepiece of Queensland football.”

“I think the (Richmond) footy club already knows he’s going to leave. They know in their heart of hearts. So, they might say, ‘Hey mate, if you’re leaving – retire. We’ll give you a retirement game.’ He’s out of contract.”

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not worried about a compo pick although something is better than nothing. You think the greatest finals player in history should be able to completely *smile* the club that has paid him for 15 seasons and helped shaped him into what he is today? Tell us all how much he loves us but he has no more to give because he’s cooked and 5 minutes later saunter into the plastic AFL love child? All of a sudden he’s not cooked and has more to give? And Richmond just cops it and shrugs their shoulders? You think that’s acting with integrity?

Why wasn’t he honest about it? Why the subterfuge? Obviously has something to hide. Obviously been taking lessons from the master of subterfuge Hardwick. There is undoubtedly something happen as GC has confirmed he approached them. There not gonna say that if it didn’t happen. Nothing to gain in that.

There are ways you do things and ways you don’t. He didn’t need to do it this way.
Show me where he said he had no more to give?

Show me where he said he had no more to give?
He told his team mates he was retiring. He obviously told the club that. Do you really think a very sharp operator like Brendan Gale says that Dusty is retiring if Dusty didn’t tell him that?