Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

I dunno that any of this is real.

But.

Why would Dusty be an unrestricted free agent?

He'd be in our top earners, if not the top earner.

Match GC offer. Make them up it until we get a first round pick for a retired player.

Then get into Rowell's ear and ask him why he has to make up for a retired player who can't defend.

Cripple GC with a massive contract for a 34 yo crock, pinch Rowell and use the Dusty pick up a generational forward.

And replace Dimmas sausages with some charcoal lamingtons.
He would’ve been unrestricted free agent due to years of service.

I'll be glass half-full and say this is not happening. We've seen he's cooked. Dimma wants kids. Why does Sam NoClue say now that Evans spoke with him/Carr and not prove it before? Dimma's probably just desperate to still use his Richmond toys.

IF something actually comes of this, then the only thing that bugs me about it is that it'll take some of the shine off what was a great single-club career.

For what it's worth, I reckon he was genuinely done when he retired. In fact, I reckon he'd been done for weeks and just didn't know how to pull the plug on the thing that'd been absolutely central to his life since forever.

And that's why I wouldn't be surprised if he's having a few second thoughts now that he's been able to step back and let it sink in - and maybe the thought of a season or two somewhere else is easier than staring into the void of life post footy. Or maybe not. Who knows. It might even just be his management scouting out options to see if there are any more $$$ to be squeezed out of the golden goose before it's finally over. Again, it wouldn't surprise me, but hey, who knows.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's in his character to do the dirty on the club that he very clearly loves. But I can absolutely understand the temptation to kick a massive change down the road for a little longer.

I still love the guy, always will.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Sam Edmund and Wanker saying it was a conspiracy type with Dimma telling Duz to not play much this season, rest his body so that he's ready for next season. Derm reckons someone told him Duz lost weight for next season.

Last edited:
Watch at 2.40 in this clip. The club was asked about Gold Coast but Benny was adamant he was retiring from AFL football.

"Dustin's retiring from AFL football let's leave it at that. That's how it's standing at this stage."

Benny probably knew what was going on.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Watch at 2.40 in this clip. The club was asked about Gold Coast but Benny was adamant he was retiring from AFL football.

"No, Dustin's retired from AFL football, and that's our understanding, and we'll just leave it at that, at this stage."

Benny also began by saying Dusty was retiring "from the Richmond Football Club".

Humphrey B Bear says more than Martin.

Let’s not make this out to be a RFC issue in they put words in his mouth.
Who cares anyway ? Who cares if he's had a change of mind ? You ever seen someone retire and then re enter the workforce ? Big deal. That's not the issue.

The issue is why doesn't he want to remain employed by Richmond. Not the mechanism of remaining employed, but with who.

We've got 4 other regular senior players doing similar. Not Jackson Macrae's or Will Phillips types. Regular starting 22 players. All wanting out.

That should be the focus, not how Martin has or hasn't played things. 5 weeks ago most people probably thought he would go to GC and we'd get compo anyway.

He probably won't go in any case.

I’d say there are a lot of moving parts to this thing. It may have been sort of planned a couple of years ago. But a lot changed this year. And now GC have to decide if he is a “good fit” which is surely code for “is he still worth a list spot, based on his form in 2024?”

Who cares anyway ? Who cares if he's had a change of mind ? You ever seen someone retire and then re enter the workforce ? Big deal. That's not the issue.

The issue is why doesn't he want to remain employed by Richmond. Not the mechanism of remaining employed, but with who.

We've got 4 other regular senior players doing similar. Not Jackson Macrae's or Will Phillips types. Regular starting 22 players. All wanting out.

That should be the focus, not how Martin has or hasn't played things. 5 weeks ago most people probably thought he would go to GC and we'd get compo anyway.

He probably won't go in any case.
I’m like you, Red. There seems to be something seriously broken at the club at present. We’re going to be down the bottom for a long time if that’s the case.