Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Love to be a fly on the wall at the 10 or 20 year premiership reunion get togethers. I feel there may be 2 distinct groups in attendance. Potentially no former coach fronting up as well.
They may become like Bomber Thompson at Bomberland, persona non grata. Thompson wasn't even invited to one of the Premiership reunions, he was that on the nose at the place.

Reactions: 1 user
Richo Cotch Jack are our legends retired as they said they would and will be forever remembered as loyal Richmond men
If Dusty the GOAT tells us hes retired and then goes onto play for GC
Hes no longer deserving of respect due to the blatant lie and will not be in the same league as those above

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
For those that are commenting negatively about some of the reactions on here I think that criticism is misguided.
AFL footy is about tribalism and emotions, it is about the fans. Anybody who forgets that is missing the whole point of the competition.
Without fans and their emotions the AFL is nothing and without tribalism and support the clubs are nothing, nor are the players.
This club’s supporters has now had its 3 time premiership coach and one of its greatest ever players treat us all as chumps. Just tell the *smile* truth.
This reaction is exactly what you would expect from a passionate group of supporters. Sure some of it is OTT but It is what the AFL is built on. Without it the AFL is a few people kicking a piece of leather around an oval.

Reactions: 21 users
Richo Cotch Jack are our legends retired as they said they would and will be forever remembered as loyal Richmond men
If Dusty the GOAT tells us hes retired and then goes onto play for GC
Hes no longer deserving of respect due to the blatant lie and will not be in the same league as those above
And Shed, Edwards did the same thing after his 300. It will forever alter Dustin's legacy. He will still be the best player I've ever seen, but it leaves a bad taste behaviour like this. Same with Hardwick. Be forever grateful for what he did for the club and the 3 flags, but it doesn't stop him from being someone that behaves in an underhanded and dirty way, and someone I no longer want anywhere near our club.

Reactions: 2 users
Who cares, he can’t get across the park

Finished with us

Don’t get the angst, it’s a massive waste of emotion
Agree on this. We weren't getting compensation anyway. He didn't have the passion, certainly didn't have the form. Good luck to him. Personally I don't think it will end up as a great coup for Gold Coast. Might help them get to 11th on the ladder, a spot they 've never reached as high before at the end of a season.

For those that are commenting negatively about some of the reactions on here I think that criticism is misguided.
AFL footy is about tribalism and emotions, it is about the fans. Anybody who forgets that is missing the whole point of the competition.
Without fans and their emotions the AFL is nothing and without tribalism and support the clubs are nothing, nor are the players.
This club’s supporters has now had its 3 time premiership coach and one of its greatest ever players treat us all as chumps. Just tell the *smile* truth.
This reaction is exactly what you would expect from a passionate group of supporters. Sure some of it is OTT but It is what the AFL is built on. Without it the AFL is a few people kicking a piece of leather around an oval.
True and that's what characters like Hutchy, Parrot and Morris want.

I am moving on.

Thanks Dusty for the :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold, 300 special games - I will always thank you for delivering something to the tigers that I never thought would happen again.

He was part of one rebuild and I can understand why it would be hard to do it again, I am disappointed though as I was hoping Dusty would still remain at the club as a playing coach.

The suns will walk taller when he walks into their rooms - good luck to them.

Ooze job is to rebuild the list, he spent one year looking at our list and boy is it going to be different next year.

You can’t move forward and upwards unless everyone in the room has 100% buy in, painful as it is, this is the cost.

I can’t wait for trade period - bring it on.

Reactions: 7 users
If Martin goes to the Suns he is dead to me.
However I am comforted by the fact that of all the Dusty rumours over his career about ZERO have been true.

• Haha
I am sad.

But I will reserve judgement to see if he "actually" plays again.
Unless someone has suddenly stapled Jessica Hull's hammies to the back of his, he can't run.
Maybe Hooch will use him as a last Quarter only super sub.

And just on sausage guy Beavis.
We know he'll fit in well at the GC.
There's plenty of snakes up there.
Some you can't see, and some are clearly visible.

Technically Martin must not have retired because if he had signed the proper paperwork he would not be allowed to play for another AFL team in 2025.

Instead he is effectively an out-of-contract free agent, and given his age and the likelihood of a two-year deal according to reports, he would very likely not earn Richmond any free agency compensation.

• Angry
Technically Martin must not have retired because if he had signed the proper paperwork he would not be allowed to play for another AFL team in 2025.

Instead he is effectively an out-of-contract free agent, and given his age and the likelihood of a two-year deal according to reports, he would very likely not earn Richmond any free agency compensation.

Ok, so far it looks like Duz just went to visit Brando over there and maybe just 'asked' about playing there. None of this is concrete while Blobbo and the seagulls just inflate the bubble.

some interesting thoughts on here about 'Dustin in the Sun'

as said in another thread I'm not a particularly sentimental person,
so i reserve my opinion and focus on integrity ...
if he goes there, it flies in the face of a quality he, and his dad, lived by ...
but then again, i guess he can do whatever he wants

Reactions: 1 users
If this does not matter what does?

He was our talisman, we had his back.

He was ours and we were his. We trusted him.

It does not change what he did, but it would definitely place a substantial asterisk next to
his name IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
It's like an affair.
Disgusting to even think of it.
I will wait before judging.

We're his yesterday fans
Yes my friends that's what we are
That's what we are his yesterday fans.

Doesn't matter how good, bad or simply indifferent the players are. Eventually they all end up as yesterday's man ( or woman or unidentified whatever ) just the same as any of us.
Time to suck in the deep breath take a step n move forward as tomorrow is coming up fast n yesterday is simply dead history.

if he goes there, it flies in the face of a quality he, and his dad, lived by ...
Integrity, his dad? his dad was sergeant at arms at one of Australia's biggest OMCGs.

Drugs, firearms, money laundering to name just a few.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Integrity? his dad was sergeant at arms at one of Australia's biggest OMCGs.

Drugs, firearms, money laundering to name just a few.
so there's more integrity elsewhere in business ?

funnily enough, he may be going to the Gold Coast ...

Not gonna get carried away.
Will worry if it becomes real.

If it does become real, Rioli just cost 3 first rounders.

I was speaking to someone who has known him for years and he said that he is a changed man since his father died and lost his drive but also said he was never going to play for another club so time will tell.

Reactions: 3 users