Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Even if this becomes a coaching role, it's still betrayal as he should be teaching our kids not the Huns.

Reactions: 2 users
Not behind Hawthorn's back.
That's what galls me like others about this. The 2 faced, disingenuous, *smile* and lies. I'm retiring, I can't go on, love you all, you mean so much - to where do I sign?
I wonder how much planning went into this all through the year.

Reactions: 5 users
Just on compensation -

The Sun's could do a 2 year contract to help Richmond get Band 3 = pick 21.

In turn help them in the Rioli trade. e.g. Could then do say 6 + 12 for Rioli and receive the compensation pick = 21 back.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't GAF that he goes to the Suns. His playing days at Richmond are done. So be it. I just don't like the whole "I'm retiring" *smile* knowing full well he was going to the Suns. It's the Hardwick departure playbook. Try and leave on best terms and then all of a sudden an about face. Disingenuois and poor taste.

Just be honest and leave the club saying you've still got something left in the tank, but it will be elsewhere.
And if this does happen, Dimma has been pulling the strings on this the entire way and set the strategy.

And let's not forget Dimma is good at keeping things hidden and playing two sides at once, on and off the ground.

He is the ultimate double agent here and has been working on this for at least 18 months.

And the club should stop publicly praising him and continually going high, time to throw a jab back.

If this unfolds as it looks, hope Shane Dunne comes out with a strongly worded statement basically saying "We ain't gonna be taking advantage of anymore by the AFL or by other clubs or franchises".

And the price of Daniel Rioli just went up and if we don't get it, he stays. Collateral damage Dimma, you did this.

Reactions: 19 users
And if this does happen, Dimma has been pulling the strings on this the entire way and set the strategy.

And let's not forget Dimma is good at keeping things hidden and playing two sides at once, on and off the ground.

He is the ultimate double agent here and has been working on this for at least 18 months.

And the club should stop publicly praising him and continually going high, time to throw a jab back.

If this unfolds as it looks, hope Shane Dunne comes out with a strongly worded statement basically saying "We ain't gonna be taking advantage of anymore by the AFL or by other clubs or franchises".

And the price of Daniel Rioli just went up and if we don't get it, he stays. Collateral damage Dimma, you did this.
Yep. Couldnt agree more.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes. I wanna see Ooze also throw bad hints out in future pressers. I'm starting to wonder how much Benny knows about this.

Richmond are pretty enthusiastic about Rioli, Bolton, Baker leaving as it's a 1 off opportunity to acquire guns in the right age bracket so we peak again in 3-5 years,we almost encouraged them .
Dusty is currently a cream player whom isn't going to be very effective unless he's in a good side,he's done us a favour by not staying and taking 600,000 of our cap,we will bank cap for the future years coming and are in a enviable position.
Dusty owes us nothing ,we owe him .

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
even if they dont know the rule,

wouldn't they just run a headline below saying

'$hai Bolton retires effective immediately'

then run

"$hai Bolton in talks with Fremantle'

this simply can't happen, or the game is actually finished
Shai is contracted

I think the point is that Dusty is an uncontracted free agent and he can go to the suns and our compensation would be calculated under the secret herbs and spice formula. That compensation will be zero for a one year contract on $500k for a 33 year old

Shai is contracted

I think the point is that Dusty is an uncontracted free agent and he can go to the suns and our compensation would be calculated under the secret herbs and spice formula. That compensation will be zero for a one year contract on $500k for a 33 year old

nah its bullcrap

maybe they sounded him out about a cotchy style Brisbane gig? maybe

special shark eyes coach, or something 3 hours a week, that he said 'nah' to?

the parasite pulp vomit *smile* all know it.

its cynical and horrible.

if we had a RFC kind of fatwah, I'd declare it on the *smile*.

its a very, very, very *smile* thing to do.

its dusty and our tears aren't even dry.

*smile*

Reactions: 1 users
nah its bullcrap

maybe they sounded him out about a cotchy style Brisbane gig? maybe

special shark eyes coach, or something 3 hours a week, that he said 'nah' to?

the parasite pulp vomit *smile* all know it.

its cynical and horrible.

if we had a RFC kind of fatwah, I'd declare it on the *smile*.

its a very, very, very *smile* thing to do.

its dusty
I'm not defending it Ezy

He owns nothing , but please take your blinkers off this was always happening.I'll say it again there was something not right with Dusty and the club. His conduct wasn't great this season looked unfit , travelling while injured etc now this. For me didn't look like he buyed in. Retirement was a load of bs. Upsetting that media says he met sun's mid year and reached out to them bit of a 🔪 in the back.

• Sad
The interesting thing in this article is if it was to be a 2 year contract then FA compensation may come into play especially since a Rioli trade is being negotiated. Sam McClure article though.

'Suns and the Brownlow medallist had initially discussed a two-year contract earlier this season'

‘A good fit’: Suns confirm talks with Richmond legend Dustin Martin to play in 2025​

BySam McClure

September 13, 2024 — 1.58pm

Listen to this article
3 min

Dustin Martin and Gold Coast have begun negotiations about a playing contract for 2025.
The Richmond legend, who made an emotional farewell to the Tigers’ faithful at the end of the home-and-away season after announcing his retirement, is eager to continue his career under former coach Damien Hardwick.
Dustin Martin played his last game for Richmond against North Melbourne on July 30.

Dustin Martin played his last game for Richmond against North Melbourne on July 30.Credit:Getty

Two sources close to Martin, who could not speak publicly due to the private nature of the negotiations, said the Suns and the Brownlow medallist had initially discussed a two-year contract earlier this season.

When asked about the situation, Gold Coast football boss Wayne Campbell told this masthead: “We can confirm that Dustin has had a conversation with the club and we will both be engaging in further conversations to work out whether it’s a good fit for the Gold Coast Suns and for Dustin.”

Without Dusty, Tigers would not have that glorious treble of flags

Martin’s management has also been contacted by this masthead.
Martin, who played 302 games for the Tigers, could join the Suns as a free agent.
The triple premiership player played his 300th game in front of a massive crowd of more than 90,000 at the MCG and whipped the Tiger army into a frenzy by a vintage Dusty special: a long-range goal on the burst.
“It was the best. It was old school. I loved it and I loved the crowd so much,” Martin said after that match. “I love this club more than anything and thank you again.”

Martin, a three-time Norm Smith medallist, Brownlow medallist, four-time All Australian, three-time Gary Ayres medallist and dual Jack Dyer Medal winner told teammates in early August of the decision to retire after 15 seasons.
Famed for his “don’t argue” fend-off, Martin, 33, announced his retirement with a typical lack of fanfare – quietly on Tuesday morning with no press conference and no farewell game. But he did a lap of honour around the MCG ahead of the round-24 clash against the Suns.

“It is hard to put into words what the Richmond Football Club means to me – I love this place so much,” Martin said in a statement announcing his retirement.
“I will be forever grateful for the love and the support I have received from the people here. To my teammates, the brotherhood that we all share is what I value most, as well as the bond with the staff and coaches … thank you to all of you.

“To my family and friends, thank you for your unconditional love and support.
“To the Tiger army, I have always felt loved and supported throughout my career, and for that, I will be forever grateful. The memories that we have created together will live with me forever. Thank you.”

I'm not defending it Ezy

yeah I know.

im just not entertaining that theres a shred of truth that he would play next year.

zero.

and the suck afl mouthpiece spewers all know it.

I feel like going to all their folks funerals with a party hat on, blowing a curly whistle.

• Haha
Time to banish the Hardwick name. Yes he was part of delivering 3 flags, but he is also part of undermining the same club. *smile* him.

I wonder how much disharmony was going around the place over the last 12 months as players knew what was going on and who was leaving. Makes me wonder why the effort being put in looked half interested at times. I was hesitant about the potential clean out - but if players are not invested and have their minds set on other teams, then goodbye and go hard at the trade table. Bring in a bunch of kids with no baggage and desire to succeed to play alongside those that want to be there.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Who cares, he can’t get across the park

Finished with us

Don’t get the angst, it’s a massive waste of emotion

Reactions: 11 users
The sooner we move on and rebuild the better. It’s all getting a bit stinky now.

Reactions: 6 users