Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dustin Martin in talks with Gold Coast over continuing his AFL career​

Dustin Martin has held talks about continuing his AFL career under his premiership coach Damien Hardwick on the Gold Coast. MARK ROBINSON has exclusive details.

Mark Robinson

@Robbo_heraldsun

less than 2 min read
September 13, 2024 - 1:46PM
News Sport Network

Dustin Martin has met Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick in the post-season, intensifying speculation one of the game’s greats is set to join the Suns for the 2025 season.

Martin, 33, would become a Suns player as a free agent.

The shock development that Martin is leaning towards continuing his AFL career has grown substance in recent weeks.

The cost for the Suns would be a list spot and Martin’s wage – estimated to be $500,000-$700,000 – and the Tigers would receive nothing.

Martin played his final game for the Tigers on August 3 and announced his retirement two days later.

It’s believed Martin has spent recent weeks weighing up whether he has the motivation to continue playing.

It’s also believed Martin has dropped several kilograms in weight in preparation for pre-season training.

The AFL would welcome the three-time Norm Smith medallist to the Suns but Martin would likely miss out on any AFL ambassador money.

Despite his national profile and popularity with kids, it’s believed the AFL would be reluctant to pay Martin a Gary Ablett-type salary to promote the game in Queensland.

An ambassadorial package would require Martin to be available to all media to help promote the game and be open to various school and promotional visits.

His refusal to speak to the AFL media for the past decade would count against Martin if he was to pursue an ambassador’s role.

Martin played 302 games for the Tigers, including the 2017, 2019-20 premierships.

• Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Got wind of this last week from someone who knows nothing about football but has ties to GC. I dismissed it as BS.

What a disappointment this would be.

Reactions: 4 users
If he joins GC his legacy is damaged.

Not because he is playing again but by the way he had done it.
Agree. Worse than what Baker, Bolton and Rioli did.

He looked cooked with us, so how can this continue?? I hope Blobbo's on the drinks again.

Reactions: 1 user
If this true it would be an unbelievable betrayal by Martin. If true everything he has told us this year would have been a blatant outright lie.

And don't give me any *smile* about him changing his mind. That is about as believable as the garbage Hardwick spouted when he bailed out.

Reactions: 7 users

Dustin Martin in talks with Gold Coast over continuing his AFL career​

Dustin Martin has held talks about continuing his AFL career under his premiership coach Damien Hardwick on the Gold Coast. MARK ROBINSON has exclusive details.

Mark Robinson
@Robbo_heraldsun

less than 2 min read
September 13, 2024 - 1:46PM
News Sport Network

Dustin Martin has met Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick in the post-season, intensifying speculation one of the game’s greats is set to join the Suns for the 2025 season.

Martin, 33, would become a Suns player as a free agent.

The shock development that Martin is leaning towards continuing his AFL career has grown substance in recent weeks.

The cost for the Suns would be a list spot and Martin’s wage – estimated to be $500,000-$700,000 – and the Tigers would receive nothing.

Martin played his final game for the Tigers on August 3 and announced his retirement two days later.

It’s believed Martin has spent recent weeks weighing up whether he has the motivation to continue playing.

It’s also believed Martin has dropped several kilograms in weight in preparation for pre-season training.

The AFL would welcome the three-time Norm Smith medallist to the Suns but Martin would likely miss out on any AFL ambassador money.

Despite his national profile and popularity with kids, it’s believed the AFL would be reluctant to pay Martin a Gary Ablett-type salary to promote the game in Queensland.

An ambassadorial package would require Martin to be available to all media to help promote the game and be open to various school and promotional visits.

His refusal to speak to the AFL media for the past decade would count against Martin if he was to pursue an ambassador’s role.

Martin played 302 games for the Tigers, including the 2017, 2019-20 premierships.

I was sad to see Edwards and Houli leave, struggled but understood that Reilwoldt and Cotch time was up.

Then Bolton, Baker and Graham put their hand up to leave - that hurt but again understood the reality.

Then Rioli - well that really hurt and I think hurts the club most.

Now Dusty - really, I can’t handle the exodus anymore. By far this I don’t understand.

If he joins GC his legacy is damaged.

Not because he is playing again but by the way he had done it.
Spot on. If he does play there he has lied to the club and given us no opportunity for FA compensation.

Let's see what happens but if it does eventuate his legacy is definitely tarnished.

Reactions: 2 users
This *smile* scumbag of a plastic club made fun of us 12 years ago, now it's all out war with some defectors.

Hopefully that Mac contract FAILS!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Got wind of this last week from someone who knows nothing about football but has ties to GC. I dismissed it as BS.

What a disappointment this would be.
Me too. I thought "no way".

Might still be fictitious. But if not, you would seriously have to ask yourself as a Richmond member, what the hell is going on at our club with our players right now and why ?

Reactions: 6 users
Spot on. If he does play there he has lied to the club and given us no opportunity for FA compensation.

Let's see what happens but if it does eventuate his legacy is definitely tarnished.
The fact the club wont be compensated is criminal.

Reactions: 2 users