Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Something about the way Dusty stood back last night on a couple of occasions and waved at the empty stands and the upper decks just broke me. Waving goodbye to the all the eyes that had watched him – that had wanted him to fail or to conquer spectacularly in equal measure.

You could almost hear him thinking – “I never failed you eyes, I always conquered and still it has an end. I will never do this again. I met the challenge of all those eyes. If I never failed you – why does it have to end?”

But then you can see the resigned acceptance come over him. Him willing his legs take him to the boundary, eventually to the race one last time. And finally into the dark and depths of the unknown future.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Quick question.
Normally don't buy the hun snotrag.
Any good Dusty write ups or pics from yesterday?
Worth buying?
Cheers.

Something about the way Dusty stood back last night on a couple of occasions and waved at the empty stands and the upper decks just broke me. Waving goodbye to the all the eyes that had watched him – that had wanted him to fail or to conquer spectacularly in equal measure.

You could almost hear him thinking – “I never failed you eyes, I always conquered and still it has an end. I will never do this again. I met the challenge of all those eyes. If I never failed you – why does it have to end?”

But then you can see the resigned acceptance come over him. Him willing his legs take him to the boundary, eventually to the race one last time. And finally into the dark and depths of the unknown future.
Nice

Reactions: 1 users
I think the club should employ him as a development coach, looking after the new recruits.

Keeps Dusty in clubland where he's comfortable, and his knowledge/training/preparation would be invaluable to youngsters, and could really fast-track their development.

Imagine coming to the Tiges as an 18yo and being looked after by the GOAT.

Would be a win-win IMHO

Reactions: 7 users
He’ll be commemorated in some way permanently at the club. I used to think Ablett senior was the best player I’d seen, but then came Dusty. Phenomenally talented player. We were so fortunate to have him.

Reactions: 6 users
Big Thank you to you Dusty for the most amazing ride ever in the game.
Absolute champion for the club and game.
What an honor it was to watch this man play.

I think the club should employ him as a development coach, looking after the new recruits.

Keeps Dusty in clubland where he's comfortable, and his knowledge/training/preparation would be invaluable to youngsters, and could really fast-track their development.

Would be a win-win IMHO
Agree. A low profile development role where he just has regular chats with the young kids. Would be amazing for the new recruits.

• Love

Would be a win-win IMHO

Sack Ziebell and bring in Dusty.

He was at Richmond for the first 4 years of Dusty’s career as a coach/leadership development manager.

“Club assistant coach/leadership development manager/opposition analyst: 2009-2013”
Interestingly that was probably the period where Dusty could have gone either way as a player. That embrace was pretty telling to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree. A low profile development role where he just has regular chats with the young kids. Would be amazing for the new recruits.
If this did happen I think it more likely it's up on the Gold Coast with Dimma, Grigg, Rance, Campbell and out of the football fishbowl of Melbourne