Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept

yandb said:
I personally believe that it was a poor choice of words by Dimma as how do you explain this to the lower draft picks and prospective draft picks this year that they may be consigned to be VFLised.

You clearly haven't listened to the interview. Go back and listen to it, and Dimma's thoughts will become clearer.

Ridley said:
That's a pretty good summary of the interview as I heard it Antman.

Dimma does sometimes struggle to articulate the point he is trying to make. On the H&A vs finals issue, he defended the players by claiming they have performed well in big H&A games over the years. Whilst this is true finals are a different kettle of fish altogether. The heat and pressure goes up significantly as does the scrutiny. We have failed dismally in finals 3 years in a row and quite rightfully are being labelled finals chokers.

The big issue with this group at the moment is the inability to deal with expectation. The best wins we have had in H&A games have been where no one gave us a hope in hell of winning. Freo in Perth, Sydney in Sydney, Hawthorn at the G. There was no real external pressure on them and they played with freedom and got the result.

In the Carlton and North finals there was massive external pressure. We were warm favourites in both games and really turned it up. The Port game was different in that we were underdogs but again it was a high stakes final and we just never fired a shot. The game was over after 10 minutes.

This is still the biggest issue at RFC. The inability of the players and coaches to deal with expectation and external pressure and scrutiny. Dimma can not dismiss it and fob it off by claiming we do well in big H&A matches. That just doesn't wash.

They need to find a way to fix it. Next year is crunch time for Dimma. No finals win, no job in 2017. After 7 years that's fair enough too.

Absolutely spot on. And it's a real worry. What happens when we win an EF take 4 tries to win a SF, a PF? All will come with heightened expectations.

antman said:
I love the "decision making" criteria lamby, can easily be applied to players that you like and denied to players you don't like. Who are the elite kicks languishing in the seconds that can't get a game?

One has just been delisted. Lennon and Beanie elite users. Beanie better decison maker than Lennon. Of course Corey is in there but as an early pick fortunately he will get a go.

Horrible kicks/decision makers Morris, Gordon, Thomas, Hampson.

antman said:
Agree Ridley.

Staggering that you guys want to go through this again next year.

Fortunately, I dont think you'll have to. We'll likely be well out of contention by half way!

lamb22 said:
Staggering that you guys want to go through this again next year.

Fortunately, I dont think you'll have to. We'll likely be well out of contention by half way!

Yep, it's all downhill from here lamby. Burn the membership cards and all aboard the Dimma train to Purgatory.

:hihi

lamb22 said:
Horrible kicks/decision makers Morris, Gordon, Thomas, Hampson.

Fair point Lamby, especially since all four of these guys are automatic picks in the seniors from week to week, core of the senior team really

1: We've cut 6.

Newy foley knighta petterd arnott Mcdonough - Done.

2: These next 4 guys are out of contract AFAIK

Grigg Gordon Thomas and Dea.

3: By draft time time next year these 4 come out of contract.

Maric hampson Chaplin & Houli.

I don't think its accidental.

A number of them are midfield/flankers and can be covered.

Astbury or Elton will hopefully overtake Chaplin in 2016.

We need to bring in a ready to go ruck During this October and again next October.

We are now renovating the original reno.

i havent heard the interview, but i cant understand how anyone can argue with the theory that VFL form does not necessarily transfer to AFL form, and that looking at 'traits' is more important than stats.
our own Matt Thomas is a good example. Hampson another.
real standouts at VFL level, but at AFL are average at best.

FitenFitenWin said:
Absolutely spot on. And it's a real worry. What happens when we win an EF take 4 tries to win a SF, a PF? All will come with heightened expectations.
I don't know if you can apply it like that. Often when a team gets that breakthrough win, things turn around quite quickly. Mind you I think we have our work cut out just reaching the finals next year, let alone managing to shift the King Kong sized gorilla that is a finals win off our backs.

Exactly CTT!

No guarantees next year.

To have any chance Dimma and the team will need to finish tops

4 in 2016.

It's going to be damn hard to get that 17-18 wins.

Interesting listening to Dimma and peoples take on what he said/ was trying to say/ and what we thought he meant.

Interpretations always will vary.

But we all agree 2016 is make or break for many !

i just listed to the Dimma interview and his comments on VFL make sense to me.

When players start to show certain attributes then they are putting their hand up for the senior - and generally the higher skilled players which are normally first rounders show enough very quickly to warrant selection. I used to play hockey at a senior level and my coach who was an ex national mens coach used to say exactly the same - in other words - you know very quickly (within 10 - 15 minutes of game time) whether a player has the attributes to make it - and if these attributes are present then you do everything in your power to get them into the seniors as quick as possible because they adapt quickly, pushed more and don't get lazy. Others can make it but it is normally more of just solid hard grind for them.

Nothing new or anything to get upset about really.

antman said:
Yep, it's all downhill from here lamby. Burn the membership cards and all aboard the Dimma train to Purgatory.

:hihi

No need for hyperbole Antman. Our finals window opened in about 2012 but we burned that chance by choking in 3 successive games against GC, Carlton and NM losing by less than a goal in each.

2013 - 2015 we finished 5th twice and probably burnt top 4 spots each year. When you think that we went 13 -3 since rd 6, and threw away the freo game, so very easily 14-2 you can make a very good case thatwe were a top 4 list this year.

But we've been pretty lucky in relation to injuries to our main 4-5 particularly Jack, Rance, Cotch and Miles. Lids has had some injury worries but as he made AA we cant really say we felt his loss much. Our backline barely had an injury all year.

So our window has been open for a while and we blew it last 4 years. Other teams are getting stronger WB, GC, Adelaide, GWS. Pies, Port and Cats a chance to rebound. Only Freo and Sydney a real chance of decline from top 4.

So its a real mental feat to climb the mountain again for no reward.

If Dimma is true to form he will start off with a risk averse stagnant game plan to start the year as he has done the last two. If that's the case we will again drop too many winnable games early. From there on in, especially with any injuries the task might become too great.

I'd be more confident if say Rance and Jack were made joint captains or Beanie was given a run of games pre season but that's pretty certain not to happen with Hardwick in charge. RFC really need to act now but they wont.

We do have some fantastic elite talent but its hard work carrying the Hardwick faves and the coaching staff all the time.

There is a difference between a finals window and a premiership window. FWIW I reckon our premiership window opened this year, not in 2012.

Baloo said:
There is a difference between a finals window and a premiership window. FWIW I reckon our premiership window opened this year, not in 2012.

That's because you are in denial.

Our premiership window opened late 2013.

We only came 5th in 2013 because we threw away a game against Carlton late in the year. We've consistently beaten our top 4 competitors Freo, Hawks and Swans last 3 - 4 years.

lamb22 said:

We only came 5th in 2013 because we threw away a game against Carlton late in the year. We've consistently beaten our top 4 competitors Freo, Hawks and Swans last 3 - 4 years.
I don't agree.

I thought at the start of 2015 there was one further generation of this team to go before we become a genuine premiership threat and that would be achieved by the integration of the 2014 draft talent into the team as well as bringing one or two players from other clubs. If we are top 4 talent now we are barely 4th but my view is that the club knows that which is why we invested so heavily in draft last year and we are active in trades this year.

We will see CEllis, Menadue, Drummond, Castagna, McBean and Lennon all in and around our best 22 in 2016 imo and as they mature the 22-26 olds will become experienced veterans around them. Those guys will replace Petterd, Foley, Knights etc who were meant to be providing the depth.

lamb22 said:

Not in denial at all mutton ole boy. If you think we've been real premiership contenders for 5 years now then it's fairly clear you're deluded.

Might also explain your unmitigated hatred for Beavis if you were expecting a Premiership in 2012.

Sintiger said:
I don't agree.

I thought at the start of 2015 there was one further generation of this team to go before we become a genuine premiership threat and that would be achieved by the integration of the 2014 draft talent into the team as well as bringing one or two players from other clubs. If we are top 4 talent now we are barely 4th but my view is that the club knows that which is why we invested so heavily in draft last year and we are active in trades this year.

We will see CEllis, Menadue, Drummond, Castagna, McBean and Lennon all in and around our best 22 in 2016 imo and as they mature the 22-26 olds will become experienced veterans around them. Those guys will replace Petterd, Foley, Knights etc who were meant to be providing the depth.

Well Sin maybe we have not reached the apex of our window and that would be great, but we have hovered around top 4 most of the last three years.

You need to scratch Mcbean from your list. Just not rated by Handbrake.

I think at worst we have been a top 6 side these last three years. Statistically however Dimma is a bottom 6 coach.