Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept

lamb22 said:
Well Sin maybe we have not reached the apex of our window and that would be great, but we have hovered around top 4 most of the last three years.

You need to scratch Mcbean from your list. Just not rated by Handbrake.

I think at worst we have been a top 6 side these last three years. Statistically however Dimma is a bottom 6 coach.
We have hovered around top 4 which is why I said if we are the 4th best we are barely 4th.

McBean is rated at RFC just not as the 2nd coming like by some on here. I have watched him probably 20 times at VFL level and FWIW I wouldn't have picked him either. He has great talent but that will only get you a certain distance in AFL because you have to have workrate , body strength and both an attacking and defensive mindset to play where he needs to play and he is only now showing these things. That debate has been done to death however but I just don't buy the argument that he is some elite skilled messiah who should have played much more. I do think he may be ready to push hard for a place in 2016 though and I hope he is.

Menadue showed plenty in his handful of games. He's one I'd hoped Dimma would persevere with at senior level over say a Newman. Was his development stifled by going back into the VFL?

Tigers of Old said:
Menadue showed plenty in his handful of games. He's one I'd hoped Dimma would persevere with at senior level over say a Newman. Was his development stifled by going back into the VFL?
I don't think it was. Menadue is very lightly framed and probably will only be good for a few games at a time until he develops more physically.

There is no way were in the premiership window - perhaps from 2016 onwards but no way the last two years. What we are missing in the past is finals hardened players so we are slowly building our own. We are still are relatively inexperienced finals side. Nothing wrong going for the Trelours / Bennells but ideally a 26 - 28 year old finals experienced players is what we need ie a Goddard of two years ago

I think the VFL coach is the worry :p

I'm all for using the VFL to develop the gameplan and systems, but I don't think they are going to progress too far with Clarke in charge.

Tigers of Old said:
Stood near him at a break in a VFL game and he is just a skinny kid.
Certainly shows promise but was never going to establish a permanent spot in the ones this year.

Tenacious said:
Certainly shows promise but was never going to establish a permanent spot in the ones this year.
I remember the comment that Blair Hartley made to Dimma at the table during last year's draft when discussing that pick.

" He will take 3 years "

Kid can play however

lamb22 said:
No need for hyperbole Antman. Our finals window opened in about 2012 but we burned that chance by choking in 3 successive games against GC, Carlton and NM losing by less than a goal in each.

2013 - 2015 we finished 5th twice and probably burnt top 4 spots each year. When you think that we went 13 -3 since rd 6, and threw away the freo game, so very easily 14-2 you can make a very good case thatwe were a top 4 list this year.

But we've been pretty lucky in relation to injuries to our main 4-5 particularly Jack, Rance, Cotch and Miles. Lids has had some injury worries but as he made AA we cant really say we felt his loss much. Our backline barely had an injury all year.

So our window has been open for a while and we blew it last 4 years. Other teams are getting stronger WB, GC, Adelaide, GWS. Pies, Port and Cats a chance to rebound. Only Freo and Sydney a real chance of decline from top 4.

So its a real mental feat to climb the mountain again for no reward.

If Dimma is true to form he will start off with a risk averse stagnant game plan to start the year as he has done the last two. If that's the case we will again drop too many winnable games early. From there on in, especially with any injuries the task might become too great.

I'd be more confident if say Rance and Jack were made joint captains or Beanie was given a run of games pre season but that's pretty certain not to happen with Hardwick in charge. RFC really need to act now but they wont.

We do have some fantastic elite talent but its hard work carrying the Hardwick faves and the coaching staff all the time.

TL:DR but we need to look forward not back. Learn a lesson, move on. Opportunities are lost, more will arise.

Tenacious said:

Skinny maybe but more importantly quick. For a team lacking in foot speed on the outside, I would have liked to have seen him given more senior games.

Tigers of Old said:
Skinny maybe but more importantly quick. For a team lacking in foot speed on the outside, I would have liked to have seen him given more senior games.
He was cooked by year end, couldn't get a touch in the VFL.

The kid is seriously quick and talented but needs a pre season or two that's all. Noone should take the fact that he played only a few games as some sign he isn't rated highly either here or at RFC because it was pretty well known he has a long way to go physically. I am sure we see more of him in 2016.

Thought is was a fantastic interview, wasn't happy they started 20+min late though as i was pushed for time!

I agree with Anty and a few other break downs, some people take things so literal that their listening or perception doesn't match the context..

When he was talking about VFL and time playing with high draft picks i was actually thinking of Lennon and the fact Ellis & Menedue were playing and not Ben (although different position/team needs i guess)..

He did say he spoke with Ben "today", so prior to the program on Friday, to me, again interpretation, he re-assured Ben he was very much a part of the future and a required player, seemed to me a little fence building and a nudge to sign the contract, thats how i interpreted it anyhow.

Great program those coaches boxes, someone said they wanted Robbo to ask the tough questions, i think the program actually makes it low key and relaxing as occasionally you might have their guard down a little and you hear the truth, part the season was over but i think Dimma was more open than normal.

Tigertough1974 said:
Great program those coaches boxes, someone said they wanted Robbo to ask the tough questions, i think the program actually makes it low key and relaxing as occasionally you might have their guard down a little and you hear the truth, part the season was over but i think Dimma was more open than normal.

Great point.

Tigertough1974 said:
Thought is was a fantastic interview, wasn't happy they started 20+min late though as i was pushed for time!

I agree with Anty and a few other break downs, some people take things so literal that their listening or perception doesn't match the context..

Agree and love listing to the program - nothing over the top or sensational and they don't avoid the tough questions. From memory I really enjoyed the Hinkley interview and his philosophies.

Thanks to the poster who posted the link to the Dimma interview - listened to it yesterday

Sintiger said:
Dunno, he wasn't getting enough touches for anyone to know

Had a good game late in the season. His early season form dropped away though after his demotion from the senior team.
It's my opinion that getting senior games into younger players like Lennon & Menadue should have had a greater emphasis this year than having Newman in the team. Newman looked cooked for much of the year but Hardwick kept playing him regardless. I would rather those games go to younger players with upside. Chris should have been a bit player this season. Wasted time and opportunity.

Tigers of Old said:
Had a good game late in the season. His early season form dropped away though after his demotion from the senior team.
It's my opinion that getting senior games into younger players like Lennon & Menadue should have had a greater emphasis this year than having Newman in the team. Newman looked cooked for much of the year but Hardwick kept playing him regardless. I would rather those games go to younger players with upside. Chris should have been a bit player this season. Wasted time and opportunity.
Agree , our season changed for the better against the Pies in rd 7? Was no surprise bringing Menadue, McBean an Ellis's in at the time, the youth really added something

CC TIGER said:
Agree , our season changed for the better against the Pies in rd 7? Was no surprise bringing Menadue, McBean an Ellis's in at the time, the youth really added something
Menadue's inclusion in that game was actually a surprise. He was a late in for Edwards. Did well enough to hold his spot for a few weeks, though. I think he'll have a similar season next year, play a few in the seniors, a few in the VFL and then back to the seniors again. The body will take time to develop and that's the best way to handle him until it does.

Menadue's year was quite ordinary. Had two 20 plus possession games at VFL level. Quiet otherwise. Did show lovely cameos of skill and pace all year as well as periods of invisibility. Didn't really deserve a spot in the firsts but he will learn heaps from the exposure.

It would be great if he could take Houli's role at half back but it might take a bit more time to get there.

lamb22 said:
Menadue's year was quite ordinary. Had two 20 plus possession games at VFL level. Quiet otherwise. Did show lovely cameos of skill and pace all year as well as periods of invisibility. Didn't really deserve a spot in the firsts but he will learn heaps from the exposure.

It would be great if he could take Houli's role at half back but it might take a bit more time to get there.

Good assessment lamby. The kid's got definite potential, but his time will come.