Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept

The three things of interest that I got from what Dimma said on SEN tonight were:

1. That the longer a person spends in the VFL team trying to break into the senior team the more likely that he will be VFL'ised ie become so accustomed to playing at that level that they can't step up to AFL level when required. He explained that was why he was so keen to get both Ellis and Menadue into the seniors so quickly. Does not bode well for McBean.

2. In relation to this, he also stated that VFL form is not always rewarded with senior appearances - that it is was more important to display AFL traits than form - thus the elevation of McIntosh. That he never tore it up in the VFL but displayed traits which would translate to successful performance in the senior competition. He never elaborated on what those traits were.

I don't disagree with him on either point - but they were brave admissions.

3. That Kreuzer wasn't really pursued as a ruck because he was too similar to Maric in height. That the next ruck they'll be pursuing will be significantly taller. Interesting.

Tigers of Old said:
3 years out of 4 we've beaten this brown and gold mob. 3 out of 4!! And they'll go down as one of the greatest teams ever in the modern age if they pull this off and no one will give a sh!t about H&A results.

*smile* me. I want to cry.

You're overreacting Oldie. Remember, as Dimma said tonight, finals are no more important than H&A games ::)

FitenFitenWin said:
3. That Kreuzer wasn't really pursued as a ruck because he was too similar to Maric in height. That the next ruck they'll be pursuing will be significantly taller. Interesting.

I'll just be happy if the next ruckman we recruit can actually play to AFL standard, unlike the last one we recruited.

Ridley said:
You're overreacting Oldie. Remember, as Dimma said tonight, finals are no more important than H&A games ::)
I was listening to interview, when did he say that? Referred to fact that Richmond played in big games (dreamtime, opening game each year etc) and that Cotchin and others played well previously in big games.

Talk about twisting the message.

Elmer said:
I was listening to interview, when did he say that? Referred to fact that Richmond played in big games (dreamtime, opening game each year etc) and that Cotchin and others played well previously in big games.

Talk about twisting the message.

If you were listening I don't know how you missed it. He responded to a question about our poor performances in finals by saying that we performed well in big games this year; round 1, Dreamtime, Scumwood, Hawthorn. Then went on to say that people think finals are more important than big H&A games and that he didn't agree; they are all big games.

No twisting going on; exactly what he said. Not my problem if you don'[t want to hear it.

Ridley said:
If you were listening I don't know how you missed it. He responded to a question about our poor performances in finals by saying that we performed well in big games this year; round 1, Dreamtime, Scumwood, Hawthorn. Then went on to say that people think finals are more important than big H&A games and that he didn't agree; they are all big games.

No twisting going on; exactly what he said. Not my problem if you don'[t want to hear it.
Question was from RC whether the only opportunity to see whether players stood up in big games was finals. Said no, Richmond play in big games. Never said they were bigger than or more important than finals. Just twisting message to suit your agenda.

He was just sticking up for his players. Until they win a final that's his only reference or example to do so. Richmond playing in front of big crowds etc.

Elmer said:
Question was from RC whether the only opportunity to see whether players stood up in big games was finals. Said no, Richmond play in big games. Never said they were bigger than or more important than finals. Just twisting message to suit your agenda.

Crap. I know what I heard and that's what he said. I don't have any agenda.

His team has an issue getting over the line when the heat is turned right up to it's hottest in finals. Our efforts in all 3 elimination finals have ranged from poor to pathetic. If he can't see that's an issue then he's deluded and the club has a problem.

Ridley said:

His team has an issue getting over the line when the heat is turned right up to it's hottest in finals. Our efforts in all 3 elimination finals have ranged from poor to pathetic. If he can't see that's an issue then he's deluded and the club has a problem.
Sounds pretty balanced. ::)

Tigers of Old said:
'I'll be looking a lot closer @PRE this off season to find the solution to our finals woes..'
Lol as ridiculous as it is a lot on here are singing the same tune about: getting in a big mid A grade fish. Getting in some X factor, explosive game breakers, key CHB.
He could do worse than have a read of pre consensus.
No more depth players. We need A graders, X factors to raise us up to the next level. Give us our high draft picks, we can't wait 3 years for kids to develop. We need class and we need it for the now!!! And use tha at mythical war chest we have plzz

I haven't listened to any of these comments from Dimma, but just one obvious point. The messages coaches send out to the media are completely different to the messages they are giving to the players.

So much of our dearly beloved keyboard warriors' hysteria seems to derive from the notion that something a coach says on a radio show actually resembles what he'd be saying internally.

Tigerblood said:
I haven't listened to any of these comments from Dimma, but just one obvious point. The messages coaches send out to the media are completely different to the messages they are giving to the players.

So much of our dearly beloved keyboard warriors' hysteria seems to derive from the notion that something a coach says on a radio show actually resembles what he'd be saying internally.

Yes.

hope he watched the game tonight and realised rossys ultra defensive style doesn't win flags

Tigerblood said:

The fact that the same thing has happened 3 years in a row in finals may lead some to question exactly how effective internal message is.

Elmer said:
Sounds pretty balanced. ::)

Gee that's novel. Someone doesn't agree with your sychophantic view therefore what they say is unbalanced ::)

FitenFitenWin said:

Good post, thanks, FFW. That third point is reassuring.

Tigerblood said:

What is your view on what he would saying internally?

FitenFitenWin said:
The three things of interest that I got from what Dimma said on SEN tonight were:

1. That the longer a person spends in the VFL team trying to break into the senior team the more likely that he will be VFL'ised ie become so accustomed to playing at that level that they can't step up to AFL level when required. He explained that was why he was so keen to get both Ellis and Menadue into the seniors so quickly. Does not bode well for McBean.

2. In relation to this, he also stated that VFL form is not always rewarded with senior appearances - that it is was more important to display AFL traits than form - thus the elevation of McIntosh. That he never tore it up in the VFL but displayed traits which would translate to successful performance in the senior competition. He never elaborated on what those traits were.

I don't disagree with him on either point - but they were brave admissions.

I didn't hear it but that is a pretty odd thing to say (points 1 and 2). As said, doesn't bode well for McBean and it seems we can pretty much dimiss any of his VFL form as it is unclear what the specific AFL traits are that they are looking for

Ridley said:

Yep, I heard the same. Was surprised he said it. Other than this I thought he spoke well