Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dimma - SEN Coaches Box 6pm tonight 25th Sept

jb03 said:
I didn't hear it but that is a pretty odd thing to say (points 1 and 2). As said, doesn't bode well for McBean and it seems we can pretty much dimiss any of his VFL form as it is unclear what the specific AFL traits are that they are looking for

VFL traits: kicking bags of goals, getting lots of possessions, using the ball creatively.

AFL traits: being tackled by nahas in the goal square, kicking the ball to the opposition, waving your arms in the air, starjumps, getting nine disposals in a final, running round in circles.

Yeah , it was a pretty odd thing for Dimma to say, he probably didn't think it out too well.

My own view is that our development in the VFL is stifled by not investing in a few more hardened ex AFL players or decent VFL players. We need a better core who are there week after week to make us more competitive. It's hard for young players even at VFL level to compete physically when we are getting beaten regularly, especially for our developing forwards. Matt Thomas is a good example of what an experienced AFL player can do at that level.

I would like to see Chris Newman captaining the VFL next year but he may not want to do it, throw in an Assistant Coaching role.

He said the coaches needed to look at their performance in the final. Could hear a skip in his voice about Bennell. Really wants him. The VFL stuff was fascinating.

FitenFitenWin said:
The three things of interest that I got from what Dimma said on SEN tonight were:

1. That the longer a person spends in the VFL team trying to break into the senior team the more likely that he will be VFL'ised ie become so accustomed to playing at that level that they can't step up to AFL level when required. He explained that was why he was so keen to get both Ellis and Menadue into the seniors so quickly. Does not bode well for McBean.

2. In relation to this, he also stated that VFL form is not always rewarded with senior appearances - that it is was more important to display AFL traits than form - thus the elevation of McIntosh. That he never tore it up in the VFL but displayed traits which would translate to successful performance in the senior competition. He never elaborated on what those traits were.

I don't disagree with him on either point - but they were brave admissions.

3. That Kreuzer wasn't really pursued as a ruck because he was too similar to Maric in height. That the next ruck they'll be pursuing will be significantly taller. Interesting.

very interesting, thanks fiten

DirtyDogTiger said:
Found it

http://www.sen.com.au/audio#8zpmpuxsOpXH5U26.97

Well done DDT. It was a good interview, listened in the car on the drive home from work last night. Check it out.

Most interesting was the take on the VFL for me - he said it's an improving competition but a long way off senior level. They do look for traits and patterns of behaviour rather than raw stats - and those that carve up in VFL may not do the same in the AFL. For me this has proved true so far - KMac, and Lennon who didn't do a great deal in the twos came in and did well in the seniors.

On the much discussed issue of H&A is as important as finals - this was in the context of Richmond players not performing in big games, and he was really saying that many of our games are big and we go out 100% every game to win, a final is no different to this. I think he made his point but probably tied himself in a knot at the end, I'm sure he'd concede the final was the biggest game of the year if he had his time again.

On the ruck issue, my take was they wouldn't get Kreuzer as he's a similar height to Maric/Vickery. They would only consider going for a new ruck if they were significantly taller - he didn't actually say they were looking for another ruck though, just that there was no point getting another of the types we already have.

On the North game/selections he said the plan was to add a tall to the mix to combat the North talls so one of Lennon or Lloyd had to give - Lennon not having quite the height/strength to compete as a tall at this stage. The choice was between Griff and Astbury to come in.

Said he'd spoken to Ben recently and told him how important he was to our plans - he's a required player. And no he didn't say that was the first time he'd spoken to him since the final :hihi

And yeah, he did concede he had a bad day in the box along with the other coaches and senior players.

So part of Dimma's message is if you are not a high draft pick at Richmond then you are screwed.

yandb said:
So part of Dimma's message is if you are not a high draft pick at Richmond then you are screwed.

Seriously ??

Miles -Rookie
Lambert - Rookie
Menadue - 33
McKintosh - 31 ?
Batch - 30
Grimes - PSD
Edwards - 26
Newman - 55 :)

Think that sorta refutes your ridiculous claim ( I hope)

Edit; Compromised drafts also

Dimma's comments on VFL make sense if Dimma and the coaching staff understand which AFL traits are important. Elite kicking and decision making no longer seem to be honoured.

I think Dimma and Co concentrate on the 'Richmond way' which apparently Morris, Newman, Gordon and Thomas represent.

It was good to see Dimma's guru get his just deserts last night.

I remember saying after Saints lost the GF replay against Pies that Lyon would never win a flag for similar weaknesses and blindspots that Dimma has, preferring defensive role players (Dawson et al) to quality or creative players especially in the bottom half of the 22.

We can only dream of Dimma being as succesful as Lyon.

Did Dimma address his post match comments r.e the Griffiths selection . I found it odd that he said the plan was to play Ben for only 2 1/2 quarters before replacing him . It didn't sit right as A it confirmed to one and all that the player was underdone and B he is the most conservitve of coaches when activating the sub . I can't think of a single situation where the sub was used early for tactical advantage .

yandb said:

What he actually said was that you need to play in a way that the coaches feel will suit senior football. I doubt the coaches keep this way a secret, in fact they'd be encouraging players to show these traits.

Also Kam McIntosh, pick 31, says hi. Kane Lambert, rookie pick, sends greetings. Numerous others who weren't high draft picks in the senior team also send their well-wishes your way.

antman said:
What he actually said was that you need to play in a way that the coaches feel will suit senior football. I doubt the coaches keep this way a secret, in fact they'd be encouraging players to show these traits.

Also Kam McIntosh, pick 31, says hi. Kane Lambert, rookie pick, sends greetings. Numerous others who weren't high draft picks in the senior team also send their well-wishes your way.
Dylan Grimes is another one, went in the PSD. I think Dimma's comments about VFL form vs AFL traits are probably the key as to why Matt McDonough is no longer a Richmond player. Dimma also really loved Jake King and he was a rookie pick as well.

lamb22 said:
Elite kicking and decision making no longer seem to be honoured.

I love the "decision making" criteria lamby, can easily be applied to players that you like and denied to players you don't like. Who are the elite kicks languishing in the seconds that can't get a game?

CarnTheTiges said:
Dylan Grimes is another one, went in the PSD. I think Dimma's comments about VFL form vs AFL traits are probably the key as to why Matt McDonough is no longer a Richmond player. Dimma also really loved Jake King and he was a rookie pick as well.

Yep. Dimma values late picks as long as they cut the mustard.

What he actually said about high picks is that you MUST play your high picks early - they are high picks for a reason and they will hopefully develop better in the firsts anyway. As for the rest, if they do the right things in the VFL they'll get their chance - if they perform in the seniors they stay in.

Of course, the debate is around what the right patterns and movements and discipline in the VFL actually means. One school thinks that this is unfair to "natural forwards" ie skilled, fat and lazy types - the other school says that the Kam Macs and Ben Lennons prove that Dimma and Clark know what they are doing.

This of course is the dramatic tension that sustains PRE. :hihi

antman said:
Well done DDT. It was a good interview, listened in the car on the drive home from work last night. Check it out.

Most interesting was the take on the VFL for me - he said it's an improving competition but a long way off senior level. They do look for traits and patterns of behaviour rather than raw stats - and those that carve up in VFL may not do the same in the AFL. For me this has proved true so far - KMac, and Lennon who didn't do a great deal in the twos came in and did well in the seniors.

On the much discussed issue of H&A is as important as finals - this was in the context of Richmond players not performing in big games, and he was really saying that many of our games are big and we go out 100% every game to win, a final is no different to this. I think he made his point but probably tied himself in a knot at the end, I'm sure he'd concede the final was the biggest game of the year if he had his time again.

On the ruck issue, my take was they wouldn't get Kreuzer as he's a similar height to Maric/Vickery. They would only consider going for a new ruck if they were significantly taller - he didn't actually say they were looking for another ruck though, just that there was no point getting another of the types we already have.

On the North game/selections he said the plan was to add a tall to the mix to combat the North talls so one of Lennon or Lloyd had to give - Lennon not having quite the height/strength to compete as a tall at this stage. The choice was between Griff and Astbury to come in.

Said he'd spoken to Ben recently and told him how important he was to our plans - he's a required player. And no he didn't say that was the first time he'd spoken to him since the final :hihi

And yeah, he did concede he had a bad day in the box along with the other coaches and senior players.

That's a pretty good summary of the interview as I heard it Antman.

Dimma does sometimes struggle to articulate the point he is trying to make. On the H&A vs finals issue, he defended the players by claiming they have performed well in big H&A games over the years. Whilst this is true finals are a different kettle of fish altogether. The heat and pressure goes up significantly as does the scrutiny. We have failed dismally in finals 3 years in a row and quite rightfully are being labelled finals chokers.

The big issue with this group at the moment is the inability to deal with expectation. The best wins we have had in H&A games have been where no one gave us a hope in hell of winning. Freo in Perth, Sydney in Sydney, Hawthorn at the G. There was no real external pressure on them and they played with freedom and got the result.

In the Carlton and North finals there was massive external pressure. We were warm favourites in both games and really turned it up. The Port game was different in that we were underdogs but again it was a high stakes final and we just never fired a shot. The game was over after 10 minutes.

This is still the biggest issue at RFC. The inability of the players and coaches to deal with expectation and external pressure and scrutiny. Dimma can not dismiss it and fob it off by claiming we do well in big H&A matches. That just doesn't wash.

They need to find a way to fix it. Next year is crunch time for Dimma. No finals win, no job in 2017. After 7 years that's fair enough too.

The ruck comments seem interesting to me. I've been wondering for a while if we would throw the dice on a Yank. Seems a possibility.

taztiger4 said:
Seriously ??

Miles -Rookie
Lambert - Rookie
Menadue - 33
McKintosh - 31 ?
Batch - 30
Grimes - PSD
Edwards - 26

damn facts getting in the way of an argument

taztiger4 said:
Seriously ??

Miles -Rookie
Lambert - Rookie
Menadue - 33
McKintosh - 31 ?
Batch - 30
Grimes - PSD
Edwards - 26

Maybe you misunderstood my comment as you have trotted out a list of names which don't make any sense.

If Dimma wants to protect the high draft picks from the VFL what is going to happen to the rest of our players who weren't picked so high. e.g. Short, Butler Mckenzie ect. And what does that say about our program and our VFL coach?

Just on your list lets see.
Newman was picked up in Frawleys stint I believe.
Edwards in Wallets stint.
Miles spent two years with GWS and only 8 weeks in the VFL at the RFC
Lambert spent 5 years in the VFL under other teams but only 10 weeks In the VFL at the RFC
Grimes and Batch came in under Hardwicks first season when he was prepared to play a variety of players.

I personally believe that it was a poor choice of words by Dimma as how do you explain this to the lower draft picks and prospective draft picks this year that they may be consigned to be VFLised.