Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Anyone who doesnt think this happens every other week with other teams is kidding themselves.

Can you imaging what opposition coaches were saying during our crap periods if we were beating their teams.
We don't always have to imagine. Grant Thomas never bothered hiding it. He was correct at the time. And I remember seeing an interview during 2017 with Isaac Smith and that Swans reject who played for Hawthorn whose name I forget, when they were asked if we were a flag contender they both burst out laughing.

Dimma did innovate & make hard calls last year.
He moved out a young player from the forward line who'd kicked 19 goals from 9 games the year before for..Cotch.

I'm glad he's at the Suns.

Reactions: 10 users
There's a lot of things poor in 2023. A coach speaking like that barely registers on the "poor" scale.
Don't get me wrong, I expect things like this in AFL. I haven't had anyone speak to me anywhere near like this
in 25? years of a professional career. Outside footy - this would likely get you fired. Not sure why folks think it's
OK in a workplace in this day and age, just because they're footballers?

You think many Millenials are up for this type of stuff?

Reactions: 1 users
That's *smile* poor in 2023. I'd perhaps expect that in 1985, but not 2023.

Glad he's gone, and can play with his new toys. I hope it implodes spectacularly up there.
You’d be horrified at the language used on a building site.

To be honest though, if he stopped playing so many under performing players it wouldn’t have come to that maybe:

You’d be horrified at the language used on a building site.

To be honest though, if he stopped playing so many under performing players it wouldn’t have come to that maybe:
nah not too horrified about that. Worked in construction for a couple of years in some major projects. I can distinguish the profanity used in a job
and someone putting you down or berating you. Not personally been in the latter position since I worked in a warehouse and was bullied as part
of a hazing type of thing.....a very long time ago.

Cotch didn't need to go there
Agreed.
I don’t think what Dimma apparently said is an issue at all, but everyone who has experienced the way life is now would know you would get a lot of people criticising the way he had spoken.

And really, if the demands the Cotchin’s expected and demanded to stay in the hub were released, I think it would show just how much of a privileged life and experience he had.

Nothing against Cotchin, he doesn’t know any better. He came from a private school, to a footy club and to earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Sure he maybe had tough times to him with the life he had, but he didn’t lose every single thing he owned through covid like many others. They were demanding their preferred brand of mattress, many others were looking for a way to feed their family.

nah not too horrified about that. Worked in construction for a couple of years in some major projects. I can distinguish the profanity used in a job
and someone putting you down or berating you. Not personally been in the latter position since I worked in a warehouse and was bullied as part
of a hazing type of thing.....a very long time ago.
Bullying is never okay. I saw that happen to many apprenticed I have worked with and I would always stand against that even as an apprentice myself.

What I really mean is, if someone is calling you a useless c*nt, you can take offence if you aren’t , you can prove that you aren’t, or you can accept you probably were and be better.

I think what it really shows is the disconnect Dimma had with the players in the end.
If he said that in previous years it wouldn’t be an issue. They lost respect for him and his words.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure Cotchin and dimma were as close as we think they where .

Can’t see how that is going to improve after these revelations .

was clearly time for dimma to move on , just wish he had done it 6 months earlier so we could have kept Kingsley .

In any case don’t like this stuff coming out so cotch can sell a book

Poor form imho
I think they were fairly tight , he called him before he resigned didn’t he , dimma came back from Italy for his last game didn’t he . Actions speak louder than words

Don't get me wrong, I expect things like this in AFL. I haven't had anyone speak to me anywhere near like this
in 25? years of a professional career. Outside footy - this would likely get you fired. Not sure why folks think it's
OK in a workplace in this day and age, just because they're footballers?

You think many Millenials are up for this type of stuff?
I just don’t see how it that bad. But maybe that’s my industry, previous jobs or my easy going attitude.

If he didn’t use the work c*nt, do others still consider it as bad? Being told if you don’t do your job like you are employed to someone else will replace you?

Not many millennials are up for any sort of criticism constructive or otherwise. But you eobt get better without someone telling you what you need to improve on.

Reactions: 1 user
I just don’t see how it that bad. But maybe that’s my industry, previous jobs or my easy going attitude.

If he didn’t use the work c*nt, do others still consider it as bad? Being told if you don’t do your job like you are employed to someone else will replace you?

Not many millennials are up for any sort of criticism constructive or otherwise. But you eobt get better without someone telling you what you need to improve on.
I'm sure the C-bomb makes things worse, it's probably the one word left that shocks people. However it's more about how things are said, not what's said.
If he'd said, I think on paper, we're a better team than them, but you guys didn't play like it, if you want to play finals you gotta give better than that. It comes across a lot better than the proverbial "they're *smile*, but you're worse" type vibe that he gave. He's transferring responsibility to them. Ordinary. Not "Richmond man" type behaviour I reckon, whatever that means.

Reactions: 1 user
I struggle to describe the Richmond Man concept. Who else does?
I mean apart from when it relates to winning big games of footy :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold.

But a coach letting rip?
Or a former player describing in-house activities and events?
Or players/coaches leaving. Whatever it is.

My take is this.
One thing for sure is that Richmond Man isnt a holier than thou, only drinking tea and eating fish and chips type of person.
What we know is that it involves embracing each other, including our imperfections. Opening up and connecting to each other to enable better teamwork.
And promoting honesty and trust.

So a moment of heated frustration would normally be dealt with by open conversations afterward where a coach might admit he'll learn from it and be better :)).
But conversations can be robust, and brutally honest, including performance reviews that are direct.
Remember this concept effectively replaced Leading Teams, that called for searing honesty that could dismantle a person's belief, confidence, belonging.
Our approach was to build connection and trust with the person first, so that the criticism could be constructive and not harmful. But importantly there was still direct criticism and honesty.

There's nothing to be ashamed about for a club to admit the coach went over the top. Imperfection. Emotion. Acceptance.
Its why Richmond Man was built - to cope with undeniable fact that people are at the club.
And so it can be printed in a book. It happened. Lets deal with it and be the best we can be.

Reactions: 3 users
Between these 4 walls..,
Unless your writing a book, anything goes.
Sounds like it will be a decent read

Reactions: 3 users
I most dislike that “you’re worse than that bunch of spuds” is directed at a group that includes players who won 3 premierships for him.

Reactions: 6 users
Why did we lose to the bunch of spuds? Hardwick was also having a go at himself here. After all it was his team.
North beat us to there at one stage, did Hardwick say, "well the better team won!"
Hell no.
Who actually cares? I don't mind hearing about it though. It's real.

I struggle to describe the Richmond Man concept. Who else does?
I mean apart from when it relates to winning big games of footy :cupgold:cupgold:cupgold.

But a coach letting rip?
Or a former player describing in-house activities and events?
Or players/coaches leaving. Whatever it is.

My take is this.
One thing for sure is that Richmond Man isnt a holier than thou, only drinking tea and eating fish and chips type of person.
What we know is that it involves embracing each other, including our imperfections. Opening up and connecting to each other to enable better teamwork.
And promoting honesty and trust.

So a moment of heated frustration would normally be dealt with by open conversations afterward where a coach might admit he'll learn from it and be better :)).
But conversations can be robust, and brutally honest, including performance reviews that are direct.
Remember this concept effectively replaced Leading Teams, that called for searing honesty that could dismantle a person's belief, confidence, belonging.
Our approach was to build connection and trust with the person first, so that the criticism could be constructive and not harmful. But importantly there was still direct criticism and honesty.

There's nothing to be ashamed about for a club to admit the coach went over the top. Imperfection. Emotion. Acceptance.
Its why Richmond Man was built - to cope with undeniable fact that people are at the club.
And so it can be printed in a book. It happened. Lets deal with it and be the best we can be.
I don’t think you struggle to describe it at all.