Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Like Dimma at the time when we won our flags, McCrae clearly has the love of the Pies playing group.
To a man they expressed their affection for him. Reminded me very similarly of Hardwick's ability to get players to completely buy in to what they're selling.

The well publicised incident that happened in the covid hub clearly strained a lot of that good faith. It was never quite the same once that magical, intangible bond is broken. It actually seems a miracle we got it done in 2020 given the way we dropped away after it.

That said I can see why the club prioritised a new coach that had the ability to build strong personal relationships with players.
It's a huge ingredient & a proven winning formula.
Here's hoping Yze can galvanise our group in the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Like Dimma at the time when we won our flags, McCrae clearly has the love of the Pies playing group.
To a man they expressed their affection for him. Reminded me very similarly of Hardwick's ability to get players to completely buy in to what they're selling.

The well publicised incident that happened in the covid hub clearly strained of that good faith. It was never quite the same once that magical, intangible bond is broken. It actually seems a miracle we got it done in 2020 given the way we dropped away after it.

That said I can see why the club prioritised a new coach that had the ability to build strong personal relationships with players.
It's a huge ingredient in a proven winning formula.
Here's hoping Yze can galvanise our group in the same way.
Lots of fractured relationships still to this day.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Often wondered why Macrae abandoned ship straight after 2020, was thinking it was Dimma's new relationship that didnt sit well with him. Though it seems Macrae changed relationships himself, so now am at a loss to understand why Macrae left.

Reactions: 1 user
Often wondered why Macrae abandoned ship straight after 2020, was thinking it was Dimma's new relationship that didnt sit well with him. Though it seems Macrae changed relationships himself, so now am at a loss to understand why Macrae left.
Hardwick refused to take a pay cut to keep them And they bolted and we kept the cash and carry crew Rutten Clarke and McQualter.

Reactions: 4 users
About $50,000 greater contract at the Hawks
Tiges cut his salary due to CoVid
Dimma took the bulk of the soft cap you will find

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
About $50,000 greater contract at the Hawks
Tiges cut his salary due to CoVid
Dimma took the bulk of the soft cap you will find
Yep. And Chris Scott took a big pay cut.
As much as I hate Scott, that was very decent thing to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Dimma may well be off to a busy start at the Suns, he,ll bring in 3 young guns and could easily clear the decks of the list cloggers who are out of contract there: Blakely, Tsitas, Constable, Stein, Anderson, Day. Add that to the probably trading off of Chol, Sharp, Burgess and Hollands and he may well turn over a quarter of the list in his first off season.

Reactions: 1 users
Dimma may well be off to a busy start at the Suns, he,ll bring in 3 young guns and could easily clear the decks of the list cloggers who are out of contract there: Blakely, Tsitas, Constable, Stein, Anderson, Day. Add that to the probably trading off of Chol, Sharp, Burgess and Hollands and he may well turn over a quarter of the list in his first off season.
Not unlike what happened when he got the gig with us, must've been close to 10 retirements and delistings.

The rumour I've heard is that McCrae and Hardwick would clash as to the purpose of the VFL team (not sure if this is the actual reason though).

McCrae would supposedly argue that the VFL teams purpose was to maintain a winning culture by winning at all costs, whereas Hardwick supposedly argued that the purpose of the VFL team was to develop our youth at the potential cost of wins.

The rumour I've heard is that McCrae and Hardwick would clash as to the purpose of the VFL team (not sure if this is the actual reason though).

McCrae would supposedly argue that the VFL teams purpose was to maintain a winning culture by winning at all costs, whereas Hardwick supposedly argued that the purpose of the VFL team was to develop our youth at the potential cost of wins.
Bulllsghhittt.
McCrae could coach sheep to a premiership.
He is top quality and Kingsley isn't far behind.
I've never met a bloke (Kingsley) that didn't mind a chat and always spoke about footy.
He always said that our kids would be quality.

Not unlike what happened when he got the gig with us, must've been close to 10 retirements and delistings.
Yes indeed, a good clean out: Raines, Bowden, Pettifer, Putt, JON, Coghlan, Schulz, Pattison, Johnson, Hughes, Silvester.

Yep. And Chris Scott took a big pay cut.
As much as I hate Scott, that was very decent thing to do.
I think you’ll find that Hardwick was on a rather modest contract until after the first premiership while Scott had been earning very good money for a number of years.

Easier to be altruistic when you have already banked serious coin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Looks like we did both.