Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

It's moot.

Let's forget Dimma and move on. The last thing we want to do is become Essendon and searching for the next Sheedy. We need to wipe the slate and focus on what's next.

Settle. All I pointed out is that Dimma never claimed he was burnt out. Nothing more, nothing less. But you seem to want to argue that point for some weird reason.

But from the Mayo Clinic
Job burnout is a special type of work-related stress — a state of physical or emotional exhaustion that also involves a sense of reduced accomplishment and loss of personal identity.

Reactions: 1 user
Property purchase search for a D Hardwick purchasing a property in Queensland in 2022 or 2023 returns a zero result
Under a company name
If you want the address , DM
Most of the locals know where he will be living

Interesting to see Dimma roll out the same spiels he used every week for the RFC.

"Its gonna be really exciting for us.".

Bit weird seeing the bloke wearing two teams colours within what 12 odd weeks.

I reckon I'm jaded as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interesting to see Dimma roll out the same spiels he used every week for the RFC.

Yeah, he's oppo now, so we're allowed to let our feelings slip. Plenty of time for love and nostalgia down the track, for now he's on the other side.

I didn't mind him wearing other colours today.
It's a new start for him and we are on verge of a new start hopefully not with McQualter

Reactions: 1 users

“The fact of the matter is”.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree.

And the club needs to be commended for its effort to keep it somewhat tidy even though I reckon it would've been a bit of a cluster. behind closed doors.

Dimma had already pretty much checked out and was on auto pilot a bit, its why he spent most of the preseason away from the joint.

Went through the motions on his return, vibe permeated through the club and was reflected in performance.

Players stopped caring when they realised he didnt.
How many seasons did he spend preseason in the US?
2017 he did. Went to Harvard, learnt some stuff about himself apparently.

Why do we characterise this preseason as an escape from his job?
Why say he checked out?
Coaches would be working 70 hours a week. He talks about getting into the office before 6am. I'd be gobsmacked if Dimma was halfarsed with his coaching this year.
I dont get why we need to rip down Dimma, just because we havent had a good season and he stepped out.

Reactions: 8 users
But he is objectively one of the best coaches in the history of the game, so that would be predictable and unremarkable wouldn't it?
and inflation / afl expansion has led to dramatically increased salaries for players and coaches.
So no surprise he gets paid far more than Yabby Jeans, or Tommy, or Malthouse.
Or Stewie Dew.
Only one other current coach compares.
Only Matthews and Bomber Thompson in the last 30 years compares.
It is not remarkable

Under a company name
If you want the address , DM
Most of the locals know where he will be living

Doubt it. All sorts of tax issues come from holding your main residence in a company. Either it isn't or he needs to engage me for tax advice.

He wasn’t burnt out.. he just realised after the muck up in the last minute of the Essendon game, that he was exhausted and that he couldn’t do any better with this list.
And that our chances of the further flag they all punted on with the GWS recruitment, was not going to work.

Time to start over for both parties. He resigned conscious of the fact that he was helping both the club and himself to make a clear break and get on with our separate futures.

If he owes us anything it is no more than a fair ask for their trade of pick 4!

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with everything but the tactical side of things, I think this is is his weakness and he surrounds himself with those that can (McRae, Kingsley, Leppa).

Him leaving is an absoulte non-issue. Anyone having issues with him is genuinely ungreatful for what he has done. Icon. Changed my club forever. Changed the AFL forever. Created a style of man management that has revolutionized coaching in this sport. Created a coaching tree that goes way beyond Richmond. Created a game style that has been copied by every club and tweaked. Created a game style that the AFL changed the rules to stop. Can easily be classified as the most influential person of game style and man management this century.

Oh, just got a email from Mrs Leysy, she wants a word with you Brian. Yikes.
Not to nitpick, but this looks to be the thread to do it!

Not great tactically but created a game style that consistently won flags?
Leysy's right. In games we would correct and shut down the oppo from midway into the 2nd q or after halftime. Some magic tweaks. Or in seasons when we'd get rolled once but win the return bout.
Maybe it was all down to his assistants.
But as for anyone in charge, its about listening to the ideas and choosing the right ones.
In a bizarre universe in 2017 he could have heard McLeppacella propose the chaos theory and go Nup, lets stick with ball control.

In my opinion all the coaches sat down at the end of 2016, looked at why they lost the finals and realised that finals are a different game. So why not play that way all year. Hell smart.

Reactions: 5 users
Nathan Buckley said of Dimma this morning that you don’t walk away from one job unless you have another one ready to go. He thinks this deal was done months ago
Not exactly how I heard it. Buckley thought it probable that his manager and clubs had had conversations. He didnt say it was a signed deal months ago.
FWIW Buckley had no problem with Dimma taking a job. Its his career.

He's had a look at the list In just 4 weeks and decided 80% of their premiership list is there? Either he gets to a conclusion really quickly (poor Mrs hardwick) or he's been looking at them for longer than "burnout" would suggest.
You dont think a professional AFL coach has research on other clubs?
That as part of his day job at Richmond he would study the opposition?
Each club has opposition analysts that I'm guessing would talk to the head coach.
He would also study the place before he gets employed there.
Maybe he would read Bigfooty and the Roar. But he's a footyhead.

So yeah I reckon he gets to the conclusion pretty quickly and with better insight than us nuffies on forums.

You dont think a professional AFL coach has research on other clubs?
That as part of his day job at Richmond he would study the opposition?
Each club has opposition analysts that I'm guessing would talk to the head coach.
He would also study the place before he gets employed there.
Maybe he would read Bigfooty and the Roar. But he's a footyhead.

So yeah I reckon he gets to the conclusion pretty quickly and with better insight than us nuffies on forums.
go back and read what I said.
Never said any of what you mention above hasn't happened.

Yes. Will be very strange for us all.

Other than wanting the RFC to smash GC every time we play them from this point onwards, there will be no ill feeling on my part towards the man that was instrumental in helping our club rise from the ashes.....

Good luck Dimma.....just not against us!

Oh and I'm really looking forward to hearing all about what the "Gold Coast Man" stands for.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
On Dimma and tactics

Even if the commonly held view of him being tactically bereft is true, he still agreed to chaos theory in the first place.

So he’s either tactically gifted or incredibly adaptable and savvy.

Either way, a wonderful head coach. Me, I’ve always seen Dimma as an educator first and foremost. A teacher. I love that in a coach, especially at elite level.

There’s something about a coach on a million dollars strapping on a launch bag and getting his hands dirty at training. Dimma did this all the time. I reckon players love coaches who do this, even if they’re geriatric and handle the pill like a bar of soap.

Last edited:
  • Love
Doubt it. All sorts of tax issues come from holding your main residence in a company. Either it isn't or he needs to engage me for tax advice.
He is too busy collecting shells on the beach at Mermaid Waters . Conversation went “ do you know of a waterproof pen ? Something about GC players writing something on a shell

• Haha