Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I will be forever grateful for the role Dimma played in delivering those three flags.

He mightn't have meant it but I didn't like on AFL 360 where he said he was happy he made the effort to go to Jack and Cotch's last game. I would have thought he should have been there with bell's on rather than saying it was an effort to go.
It’s always tricky with the ‘words/language” used.

I’m at fault here.

We nitpick!

Reactions: 1 user
The same people who expect Dimma to stay loyal are exactly the same people who'd be asking for his head if we'd finished 14th at season's end.
It truly is bizarroworld.

He'd run his race at Tigerland. Move on.

Reactions: 25 users
It was clear Dimma had reached the end of the road at Punt Road. That loss to the Bummers in the dying seconds was symptomatic of that.
Things never stay the same and it was time to move on.
HOWEVER....if Dimma was supposedly burnt out, why did he jump to another club in a flash?
I would've thought 12 months away from the game is what he would've needed. It all seems a bid disingenuous to me and somewhat disrespectful to our club.
Anyway Im grateful for the 3 magnificent Premierships. Lets look forward

Reactions: 3 users
It was clear Dimma had reached the end of the road at Punt Road. That loss to the Bummers in the dying seconds was symptomatic of that.
Things never stay the same and it was time to move on.
HOWEVER....if Dimma was supposedly burnt out, why did he jump to another club in a flash?
I would've thought 12 months away from the game is what he would've needed. It all seems a bid disingenuous to me and somewhat disrespectful to our club.
Anyway Im grateful for the 3 magnificent Premierships. Lets look forward
I reckon , at a guess, he was burnt out at Richmond. He’s taken 3 months off travelling and now he’s ready to go again…but not at Richmond. The juices are flowing for a new challenge, a new club, a new environment, a new state. Totally understandable IMO.

Reactions: 19 users
He'd run his race at Tigerland. Move on.
Yeah I’m in this camp , not much of any good has happened since 2020 anyway , 2 and a half years of false hope Trying to hang onto something that isn’t there anymore.

He was cooked , the players are cooked , We need to start again , it’s to our benefit he pulled the plug . Back to the drawing board.

Reactions: 11 users
Dimma never said he was burnt out. The media ran with that line but those words didn't come from Dimma.

Reactions: 4 users
question only. might have been covered earlier in the thread. but:- has an AFL coach ever quit during the season and then been announced as coach of another AFL club whilst the same season was still going?

Geez, there are a lot of sooks on here.

The guy gave 14 years service to us.

If our next coach does that, plus 3 premierships and the memories that come with it, he can sleep with Mrs Leysy, let alone go to any another club. Who the hell cares when, why or how he left.

Only need to look at the ex-players in attendance on Saturday. The legacy and impact Dimma has had on so many of his players is profound.

And it was time, our players, especially the experienced one's are stale and need a fresh start and to prove themselves again.

As for not having much of a break, would prefer he goes to Gold Coast than waiting a year and taking the Essendon job, which would have been the case.

Finally, a lot seem to be dismissing his chances of success with the Suns.

Don't forget how great he is at his craft. He will get them invested on the journey with him. He'll reward and promote those guys playing a role, something they've never had.

Finally and something he's never truely been recognised for, even at Richmond is his tactical brain. His most undersold strength is his ability to see trends, tactics and why teams win/lose. Only need to remember how often he overturned earlier losses against teams and made them wins at the business end in our flag years.

He will bring the smarts to those guys that will see them finish top 4 up there or sure.

And good on him.

• Love
Reactions: 31 users

If our next coach does that, plus 3 premierships and the memories that come with it, he can sleep with Mrs Leysy, let alone go to any another club. Who the hell cares when, why or how he left.

Only need to look at the ex-players in attendance on Saturday. The legacy and impact Dimma has had on so many of his players is profound.

And it was time, our players, especially the experienced one's are stale and need a fresh start and to prove themselves again.

As for not having much of a break, would prefer he goes to Gold Coast than waiting a year and taking the Essendon job, which would have been the case.

Don't forget how great he is at his craft. He will get them invested on the journey with him. He'll reward and promote those guys playing a role, something they've never had.

Finally and something he's never truely been recognised for, even at Richmond is his tactical brain. His most undersold strength is his ability to see trends, tactics and why teams win/lose. He will bring the smarts to those guys that will see them finish top 4 up there or sure.

And good on him.
Agree with everything but the tactical side of things, I think this is is his weakness and he surrounds himself with those that can (McRae, Kingsley, Leppa).

Him leaving is an absoulte non-issue. Anyone having issues with him is genuinely ungreatful for what he has done. Icon. Changed my club forever. Changed the AFL forever. Created a style of man management that has revolutionized coaching in this sport. Created a coaching tree that goes way beyond Richmond. Created a game style that has been copied by every club and tweaked. Created a game style that the AFL changed the rules to stop. Can easily be classified as the most influential person of game style and man management this century.

Oh, just got a email from Mrs Leysy, she wants a word with you Brian. Yikes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Finally and something he's never truely been recognised for, even at Richmond is his tactical brain. His most undersold strength is his ability to see trends, tactics and why teams win/lose. Only need to remember how often he overturned earlier losses against teams and made them wins at the business end in our flag years.

I think this is under-rated. In the best years we would not lose to the same team twice. The tactics would address what caused the initial loss. Now, this would not just have been DImma but he would have been a big part in pulling apart the losses and sorting out how to beat any club who had beaten us. There is legitimate questioning of his game-day tactics although I also think this is partly the old Tommy Hafey line when he didn't move players - he expected the player to lift and beat his opponent not get shifted away. But Dimma clearly went to work on how to beat teams we could not get past the first time around.

As for my comment about Stewart Dew, my impression is that he has been very good at developing young players at GC. This is something they clearly needed. Not sure he would ever have taken them to the promised land, but I think he will have been a fair contributor to any success they get with this group of players.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

He will bring the smarts to those guys that will see them finish top 4 up there or sure.

And good on him.
Main argument on here for many years is that Dimma wasn't a tactical coach.