Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

But to leave after trying to take another run at it, cite burnout, then come back a few weeks later going "gee I miss coaching." Nah, he misses having talent at his fingertips, and the hunger of empty bellies.
But it is not a few weeks off coaching, he has 3 months off now, and assuming he gets the Suns gig will have at least another month off before returning full time.
That is 4 months, not a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I am pretty sure Alex's sister lives on the Gold Coast and he is close to her and her kids, which I suspect is a more likely reason he would be building a house up there.
I thought he wanted to play at Southport with Oleg Markov.

There's always stuff happening at footy clubs, players off field indiscretions, some people don't get on, why aren't certain players players getting a game.........................I don't need to know about all the dirty linen, and would rather not know.
I do get frustrated why some players aren't getting a game, but there's probably good reasons, and again I don't need to know.

I'll never hate Dimma, because he Peggy, Benny, Balmey, all the assistant coaches and staff members etc gave me so much joy. Not just with the 3 premierships, but also in making us the envy of so many, and for making the RFC industry leaders.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
And its purely your opinion that there are different rules for coaches than other humans.
Personally I have no problem with what he did

If he even did it, which despite the claims from some on here there's no proof. If GC and Port contacted his agent then thats hardly the betrayal some on here are painting it as.

Reactions: 4 users
Bit different when your the coach of a huge AFL sporting club don’t you think
How provincial. Ange Postecoglou resigned from Celtics on June 6th, and commenced with Spurs on July 1st. No problem with Ange having a few chats with other clubs while he was still manager of Celtics? Or do you think he resigned first, and then spoke with other clubs?

Seriously, if you think the rules are different for a "huge AFL sporting club" compared to other football codes, other sports, other professions them I'm afraid you're completely devoid of the realities of modern society.

Reactions: 7 users
This has been answered many times already in the thread.
Sincere apologies for not reading all posts on this thread.

I get the gist of what you are saying. AFL coaches are different from coaches/managers of every other sporting code, and every other profession it seems.

CEOs, teachers, doctors, pollies, Uber drivers, former Celtics managers...no issue with looking for another job while they already have one, but an AFL coaches...completely unacceptable, bordering on treason.

Am I on the right track?

Reactions: 2 users
What do people even want from Dimma at this point?

Undying love?

Clinging, cloying loyalty that would defer the inevitable discussion around the next coach and potentially turn candidates away?

I hear all the arguments around why Dimma betrayed us but none of them make a lick of sense.

It just isn’t 1982 anymore

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Sincere apologies for not reading all posts on this thread.

I get the gist of what you are saying. AFL coaches are different from coaches/managers of every other sporting code, and every other profession it seems.

CEOs, teachers, doctors, pollies, Uber drivers, former Celtics managers...no issue with looking for another job while they already have one, but an AFL coaches...completely unacceptable, bordering on treason.

Am I on the right track?
A CEO wouldn't restructure a business, buy a bunch of assets then start looking for another job.

They'd see the integration through at least. It's called integrity. They'd soon develop a bad name for themselves I'd they acted in that manner.

How do you feel about a Pollie standing for an election for a new 3/4 year term, then 3 months in they go "nah. I can't be assed anymore. I want to go"?

Reactions: 1 users
How do you feel about a Pollie standing for an election for a new 3/4 year term, then 3 months in they go "nah. I can't be assed anymore. I want to go"?

But dimma hadn't just signed a new contract. And I don't think bringing in new players is analogous to restructung a whole business. Those players will be of benefit to the club even if the coach leaves and they already have been significant.

Reactions: 4 users
A CEO wouldn't restructure a business, buy a bunch of assets then start looking for another job.

They'd see the integration through at least. It's called integrity. They'd soon develop a bad name for themselves I'd they acted in that manner.

Dimma just coaches the players, General.

Hartley, Clarke, Livingstone and ultimately Gale backed all off-season moves.

And it was worth hunting for flag 4. When it became apparent that wasn’t happening it was far better for all that Dimma make way.

Not only was it above board, it was downright respectful.

Reactions: 8 users

Wasnt Dimma halfway through his contract? Didnt he sign before the 2022 season? It wasnt 3 months.

We didnt restructure the business. We followed the same successful approach. We brought in more personnel.

A CEO leaving with strong managers below who are capable to continue the program through. That happens.
Pollies leaving. That happens.

Dimma leaving and the club not imploding, players not moaning, the team not disintegrating and collapsing in a mess. That happened.
The coach left and we kept playing football at a high level.
It was a successful departure of the coach.

Reactions: 3 users