Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I don't think it woud have been better though, our trajectory improved once Mini took over, although we've reverted the last couple of weeks. This is why some of the commentary here bemuses me, lamenting Hardwick for seemingly leaving us in the lurch, he didn't. He gave us enough time to go through a proper process with no competing clubs and we improved when we left. He clearly had nothing left to give us.
Disagree Ian
5 rounds in this year and he is talking to other clubs about coaching in 2024 is pretty poor
Considering the situation of trading out for Taranto and Hopper
Remember he was contracted for 2024
5 rounds is a pretty small sample of the year don’t you think
What’s of interest in the past 24 hours is that Jack and Cotch meeting at the end of 2016
Seems like the players should be given more credit for changing the legacy
Remembering also the club moved on Dimmas mates sorry assistants at the end of 2016
Don’t think Wilbur Williams , Ross Smith or Choco Williams spoke to Dimma got a long time
Interesting hey

Reactions: 1 users
Will Beavis be attending the game?
To catch up with his Bestie, Clarko?
Oh yeah, and The Chimpah, Jackmond?

According to the media, he’s in Europe and won’t be back until late next week
I thought Jack said in his conference yesterday that he spoke to Dimma who thought he was coming home yesterday but was actually today.

Reactions: 1 user
I thank Damien for his part in our recent success.
Like everyone else I wanted it to go on forever.

Give time to reflect, I think we've been slightly hoodwinked in the manner of his departure though and if I'm a tiny little bit disappointed, it's that he sold a dream to Taranto and Hopper and obviously the rest of the group, then bailed on it.

Bet he didn't tell those 2 this was his last year at the club.
The Richmond Man thing sort of feels a tad hollow for me concerning Dimma now.
I understand it's just all business, so let's not treat us all like a bunch of knuckleheads.

Reactions: 4 users
All this talk about Dimma stooging us, which may be correct, or partially correct, really shows there is no 'nice' way for a senior coach to exit. If it exists, we haven't seen it. They are either sacked, wrongly or rightly, or there's Dimma. You can cite the Bomber Thompson example but he was nudged out due to off field issues. One poster reckons Dimma was too, and maybe they're right. But the key point is, there is no way possible for a senior coach to leave which is nice or good for all parties at all times.

For me, I'm fine with it even if he did get a nod from GC or back himself to get another gig, or whatever. No such thing as perfect, but on balance, as close as I've seen. Time was up at the Tiges, reason for that is irrelevant, move on to the next episode.

Reactions: 13 users
Jack said when he spoke to him about retirement, he was 24hrs away from departing the UK.
Should be back by now, or at worst a few hours away if he had a long transit change.

You might find he just landed
Richmond fans at the airport

get him crowd GIF by South Park

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Jack said when he spoke to him about retirement, he was 24hrs away from departing the UK.
Should be back by now, or at worst a few hours away if he had a long transit change.
Well that will be really good.

Regardless of the circumstances of him leaving, on Saturday we all celebrate the Dimmasty.

It just might be that Dimma is holding off on the GC announcement until he bids the army farewell.

I was surprised and deflated by the Rancey and Dimma exits but overwhelmingly grateful for the part they played in our wonderful footy ride.

It will be a poetic ending for Jack, Cotch and Dimma on Saturday.

I'd love to see an on field guard of honour of our Dimmasty players to mark this triple celebration.

Reactions: 5 users
I still don’t get how he dudded us. Three flags, tried for a fourth this season before he realised his imperial guard were no longer up for it. So he bailed.

What is wrong with this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
All this talk about Dimma stooging us, which may be correct, or partially correct, really shows there is no 'nice' way for a senior coach to exit. If it exists, we haven't seen it. They are either sacked, wrongly or rightly, or there's Dimma. You can cite the Bomber Thompson example but he was nudged out due to off field issues. One poster reckons Dimma was too, and maybe they're right. But the key point is, there is no way possible for a senior coach to leave which is nice or good for all parties at all times.

For me, I'm fine with it even if he did get a nod from GC or back himself to get another gig, or whatever. No such thing as perfect, but on balance, as close as I've seen. Time was up at the Tiges, reason for that is irrelevant, move on to the next episode.

I think if Dimma wanted to go out on "burn out" took a season off, you'd go yeah that makes sense.
I'd be annoyed we traded the picks then he bailed. That's pretty *smile*, but a guy can make a mistake.
But to leave after trying to take another run at it, cite burnout, then come back a few weeks later going "gee I miss coaching." Nah, he misses having talent at his fingertips, and the hunger of empty bellies.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if Dimma wanted to go out on "burn out" took a season off, you'd go yeah that makes sense.
I'd be annoyed we traded the picks then he bailed. That's pretty *smile*, but a guy can make a mistake.
But to leave after trying to take another run at it, cite burnout, then come back a few weeks later going "gee I miss coaching." Nah, he misses having talent at his fingertips, and the hunger of empty bellies.

Yeah but we'd most probably be worse off if he stayed.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s extremely distasteful. We all love Dimma for what he achieved and brought to our club but it hasn’t ended well. To suggest otherwise is romanticising him because of his achievements.

This is really unsavoury to say the least.

Reactions: 4 users
My feeling is that he was more burnt out with coaching us than with coaching and he said as much really.

Needed a new challenge after a bit of a break is fine with me.

In terms of the giving away the draft picks it was a whole of club decision. Benny said before the season that it was a risk but a calculated one. Thinks didn't fall into place this year but I think we have a solid base in the midfield. Hopper will be better next year and we need to add pace and skill in the midfield and a big forward over the next few years from the draft and some trading . Then it's up to a coach to mix it up the right way.

While the Geelong model looks great, they have a great home and away advantage during the season and not far to travel to place they play at a fair bit for the finals. No-one else has that.

Reactions: 8 users