Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Indeed.

“The funeral baked meats Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables."
Its a job.
Its not life and death.
Its not the only person in the football club who can help the players to win football game
Woebegone the demise of our dear leader who promised us riches and everlasting life

What do people even want from Dimma at this point?

Undying love?

Clinging, cloying loyalty that would defer the inevitable discussion around the next coach and potentially turn candidates away?

I hear all the arguments around why Dimma betrayed us but none of them make a lick of sense.

It just isn’t 1982 anymore
All the great coaches of the past 40 years have had stints at rival clubs - Sheedy, Malthouse, Clarkson, Blight, Jeans, Matthews...........I could add Walls & Thompson if we're being generous. Nothing new or treasonous about Dimma securing his future at another club. Peggy left the building too, sometimes new challenges are needed and taking on a batller club just another feather in the cap if all goes well.

Reactions: 10 users
If he even did it, which despite the claims from some on here there's no proof. If GC and Port contacted his agent then thats hardly the betrayal some on here are painting it as.
Agreed.
Who knows what was said in any meeting that may/may not have happened.
Who knows who instigated it.

Port - "we are considering options for 2024. Are you available?"
Dimma's manager - " No"
or
Dimma's manager "OK, lets hear your proposal but there is no commitment."

Dimma's agent/manager is responsible for receiving and investigating job opportunities.
Thats his job

Reactions: 3 users
Wasnt Dimma halfway through his contract? Didnt he sign before the 2022 season? It wasnt 3 months.

We didnt restructure the business. We followed the same successful approach. We brought in more personnel.

A CEO leaving with strong managers below who are capable to continue the program through. That happens.
Pollies leaving. That happens.

Dimma leaving and the club not imploding, players not moaning, the team not disintegrating and collapsing in a mess. That happened.
The coach left and we kept playing football at a high level.
It was a successful departure of the coach.
High level?

We were supposed to be flag contenders this year. Look at our position, look at our percentage. Look at how we got flogged in various games against better sides.
I'm not sure I'd agree with your success definition.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817_124417_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_124417_AFL.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: 1 user
All the great coaches of the past 40 years have had stints at rival clubs - Sheedy, Malthouse, Clarkson, Blight, Jeans, Matthews...........I could add Walls & Thompson if we're being generous. Nothing new or treasonous about Dimma securing his future at another club. Peggy left the building too, sometimes new challenges are needed and taking on a batller club just another feather in the cap if all goes well.
Walls an interesting call.
Only 1 flag.
Multiple clubs, sacked twice midseason (Richmond, Carlton) and decision mid-season (Brisbane)
Were there many Walls' proteges who became senior coaches?
I recall he had some effective game plans, was he considered to be innovative and strategic? He's not in the same consideration as Blight and Clarkson in that respect

Reactions: 1 users
High level?

We were supposed to be flag contenders this year. Look at our position, look at our percentage. Look at how we got flogged in various games against better sides.
I'm not sure I'd agree with your success definition.
I said the departure was a success.
The results of the football team is clearly not.
We didnt skip a beat when he left... but this year we are a middling side

Walls an interesting call.
Only 1 flag.
Multiple clubs, sacked twice midseason (Richmond, Carlton) and decision mid-season (Brisbane)
Were there many Walls' proteges who became senior coaches?
I recall he had some effective game plans, was he considered to be innovative and strategic? He's not in the same consideration as Blight and Clarkson in that respect
Walls was a very good match day coach but struggled with the list building aspect, I think judging him on his Richmond experience needs some perspective, Jeans also faltered, as did many others during an extremely volatile era of sacking coaches mid season. Most of Richmond's woes originated from bum recruiting, quick fixes instead of drafting the kids. Bartlett I considered to be a very good coach but wasn't supported through the lean patches, quite a few lessons to be learnt from that period.

Last edited:
Walls was a very good match day coach but struggled with the list building aspect, I think judging him on his Richmond experience needs some perspective, Jeans also faltered, as did many others during an extremely volatile era of sacking coaches mid season. Most of Richmond's woes originated from bum recruiting, quick fixes instead of drafting the kids. Bartlett I considered to be a very good coach but wasn't supported through the lean patches, quite a few lessons to be learnt from the period.
Thanks.
Looking at his record for all clubs, he was moderately successful at Fitzroy (though arguably they underachieved with Roos, Pert, Rendell, Mick Conlon etc), had short term success at Carlton but couldnt get them to challenge again, and not successful at Brisbane and Richmond.

Similar record to Adam Simpson. Longevity as a coach, won a flag, but struggled to maintain his team's hunger

I like with your list of Great Coaches, including Thompson but I wouldnt include Walls.

Thanks.
Looking at his record for all clubs, he was moderately successful at Fitzroy (though arguably they underachieved with Roos, Pert, Rendell, Mick Conlon etc), had short term success at Carlton but couldnt get them to challenge again, and not successful at Brisbane and Richmond.

Similar record to Adam Simpson. Longevity as a coach, won a flag, but struggled to maintain his team's hunger

I like with your list of Great Coaches, including Thompson but I wouldnt include Walls.
Fair enough, certainly one for debate, he benefitted enormously from the SA raid in the late 80's, Kernahan, Bradley, Naley & Motley provided the nucleus and SOS was just beginning his career as well. Moving to Richmond was a significant downgrade from a personnel perspective, going from elite ball users to a club of honest triers not an ideal fit. Northey knew how to galvanise a group of battlers, he probably deserves a bit more credit, 1995 was a revelation in so much as the team were no frills but managed to extract every last ounce of talent at their disposal.

Reactions: 6 users
Fair enough, certainly one for debate, he benefitted enormously from the SA raid in the late 80's, Kernahan, Bradley, Naley & Motley provided the nucleus and SOS was just beginning his career as well. Moving to Richmond was a significant downgrade from a personnel perspective, going from elite ball users to a club of honest triers not an ideal fit. Northey knew how to galvanise a group of battlers, he probably deserves a bit more credit, 1995 was a revelation in so much as the team were no frills but managed to extract every last ounce of talent at their disposal.
Northey's 95 is a great example of a team achieving more together
(the sum being greater than the parts)

Reactions: 5 users
You can all show your appreciation to Dimma on Saturday at Half Time

• Wow
Thanks.

Walls was the first coach to get Brisbane into the finals. He oversaw the move from the Gold Coast to the Gabba. Definitely failed with us, though.

Walls was the first coach to get Brisbane into the finals. He oversaw the move from the Gold Coast to the Gabba. Definitely failed with us, though.
The 1995 Bears (8th) pushed Carlton hard in the elimination final.

What do people even want from Dimma at this point?

Undying love?

Clinging, cloying loyalty that would defer the inevitable discussion around the next coach and potentially turn candidates away?

I hear all the arguments around why Dimma betrayed us but none of them make a lick of sense.

It just isn’t 1982 anymore
Has someone taken over your account? Making far too much sense recently.

pretty quick for that, but i guess it's to do with the Cotch n Jack finale

and he won't do it next season as the Suns coach will he ..
He will be at the game. I am not sure if walks out on the ground but I hope he does.