Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Dimma said in 22 his time would come eventually. Said if we needed a rebuild he'd step aside and let others do it.
I don't believe the rot in here he'd spoken to Port. I do believe GC spoke to his management though. I do believe he quit knowing he had active alternatives, even if the T&C weren't inked on a contract.
Glad he found a cookbook on his travels. Maybe he'd forgotten about the souvenirs he got travelling the US in the pre-season.
I think all up though, his "burn out" sausage has just got a bit too much mustard on it.
Hot Dog Grandma GIF
He’s just warming up the snags for the Goldie.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
According to reports they don’t want any assistance Re Ambassado

Guess it is only fair after al the players we have pinched that we've spent the last few years subsidising their next coach.

Personally I have no issue with him going, in this business everyone needs to look after themselves and clubs will sack a coach on a whim so they can't complain when it goes the other way. I won't begrudge him taking others with him either, if they can all make some money and have some fun in the sun then more power to them. Wouldn't hurt us to clear a few out and get some fresh ideas in as well.

It's no secret that as much as I am respectful of the job he did and what he achieved for us, I've never thought he was a great pure football coach. I think he is fantastic in the locker room, but I've never thought he was all that special on the football field.

Like anyone else, that means he needs the right people around him to fill the gaps and the footy manager is crucial there. Once I heard he is keeping Wayne Campbell I felt very relaxed.

Reactions: 4 users
TBR, do you think Wayne will make the move to the GC or stay in Sydney? Got me stuffed how some of these blokes get these gigs.

I have no issue with Dimma leaving and going to coach the GC. I am thankful for all the success we enjoyed. What i am filthy with is the fact he knew he had checked out of Tigerland last year yet still decided to have a free hit this year and once he realised we were never winning a flag he said bye bye. In the meantime though he has left the recruiting department with nothing but spare change for the next 2 years and also saddled the club with 2 blokes on big coin for the next 7 years
Should have called time at the end of last year and allowed the club the opportunity to reset quickly.

Reactions: 5 users
Guess it is only fair after al the players we have pinched that we've spent the last few years subsidising their next coach.

Personally I have no issue with him going, in this business everyone needs to look after themselves and clubs will sack a coach on a whim so they can't complain when it goes the other way. I won't begrudge him taking others with him either, if they can all make some money and have some fun in the sun then more power to them. Wouldn't hurt us to clear a few out and get some fresh ideas in as well.

It's no secret that as much as I am respectful of the job he did and what he achieved for us, I've never thought he was a great pure football coach. I think he is fantastic in the locker room, but I've never thought he was all that special on the football field.

Like anyone else, that means he needs the right people around him to fill the gaps and the footy manager is crucial there. Once I heard he is keeping Wayne Campbell I felt very relaxed.
King appears to be staying as well.

Stable.

Now let’s see if that translates on the field for the GCS.

Certainly will get more talent next year through their Academy.

Great result I think.
Dimma's time was up and he will be happy in Qld. Suns will benefit.
We get a new start.
Martin to Suns.
First pick to us..much needed.
Suns get acadamy kids.
We get a future star with luck ie a KP forward or mid.
It is a way forward for us..Otherwise the future looks grim.

Maybe other players. .ie K Mac or Vlas...more picks for us.
This is a great win win..but especially for Richmond.
Possibly Hardwick's last and lasting gift and legacy to the Tigers.
Think about it.
Best possible result and way out of the mire for us.
Thanks for everything Dimma.

PS..I think it is likely Dimma and Gale planned this some time ago.
With this we can avoid being like West Coast and can rebound soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Going to be interesting to see what is the “Gold Coast” way

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The Goldie presser will be interesting.
a watch on the sycophants in the media go the hard questions.
dimma’s response.

Stan Marsh Me Time GIF by South Park

Reactions: 1 user
He got us 3 flags.

I reckon his message was no longer working at Richmond for whatever reason.

He left us with a lot of time to recruit a replacement.

A hell of a lot of hindsight being thrown around about Hopper and Tarranto. We were looking to try to extend the dynasty for one last try. Given how hard it is to win flags in an 18 team competition, and how hard it is to climb the mountain again, and how many clubs (including Richmond) only succeed after multiple attempts to build a team that can contend, it was a reasonable gamble. The short term payoff has not eventuated, but we still have 2 quality players for the next 6 years.

Senior coaching is a damned hard gig, the pressure is enormous, especially at a big Melbourne club. I reckon he felt he had been in the job for long enough and it was time to go.

Meanwhile, we have had our dynasty, most clubs haven't seen a successful era with multiple premierships for decades, some have never had an era like we just witnessed. StKilda may have beaten us last week, but since 2017 we have won more flags than they have won since 1873.

Now we reset. Yes, it will take time. Yes, the short term gamble on Hopper and Tarranto has not paid off. But we now look forward. We will start with a new coach, we will try to recruit as best we can. We will try to get the best out of the ageing stars and send them off as heroes when they retire. Those who play on can help the up and coming players, those who leave will get a bit of extra financial security and should always be remembered fondly by Richmond supporters.

The future beckons, the future is not now, it will take time . . . as it always does after a dominant period and as we lose the players who could make it happen.

Some patience now and hopefully good decisions made now can get us back in maybe 5 years, but while it takes time to build a team that can contend, as so many clubs can attest, time alone is not enough. The Dimma era is over, let's see how we go from here.

DS

Reactions: 19 users
Looks like Steven King will remain as an assistant to him and Browneye reckons Duz is a big chance to follow Dimma to GC as they have the $$$$$$ to smooth out the final year on his contract to maybe 2 years.

Can't believe how many have left us in the last 3 years. This dynasty seems to be melting. I was hoping for Dimma to continue on with a new generation of players and even assistants etc...

Interesting to see what Stuey Dew says later in time about this whole story.
Dew won’t be saying much , after all he only spoke to his leadership group and had little to do with the majority of his list , which was left to his assistants. GC players will be in for a huge shock in 2024 . Holidays over on the Goldie

Wayne Campbell might be the problem

He got us 3 flags.

I reckon his message was no longer working at Richmond for whatever reason.

He left us with a lot of time to recruit a replacement.

A hell of a lot of hindsight being thrown around about Hopper and Tarranto. We were looking to try to extend the dynasty for one last try. Given how hard it is to win flags in an 18 team competition, and how hard it is to climb the mountain again, and how many clubs (including Richmond) only succeed after multiple attempts to build a team that can contend, it was a reasonable gamble. The short term payoff has not eventuated, but we still have 2 quality players for the next 6 years.

Senior coaching is a damned hard gig, the pressure is enormous, especially at a big Melbourne club. I reckon he felt he had been in the job for long enough and it was time to go.

Meanwhile, we have had our dynasty, most clubs haven't seen a successful era with multiple premierships for decades, some have never had an era like we just witnessed. StKilda may have beaten us last week, but since 2017 we have won more flags than they have won since 1873.

Now we reset. Yes, it will take time. Yes, the short term gamble on Hopper and Tarranto has not paid off. But we now look forward. We will start with a new coach, we will try to recruit as best we can. We will try to get the best out of the ageing stars and send them off as heroes when they retire. Those who play on can help the up and coming players, those who leave will get a bit of extra financial security and should always be remembered fondly by Richmond supporters.

The future beckons, the future is not now, it will take time . . . as it always does after a dominant period and as we lose the players who could make it happen.

Some patience now and hopefully good decisions made now can get us back in maybe 5 years, but while it takes time to build a team that can contend, as so many clubs can attest, time alone is not enough. The Dimma era is over, let's see how we go from here.

DS
Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office
Spot on.

Dimma will always be remembered as one of our greatest. Wish him well with a team that has just about everything except experience.
Will not be surprised if Dusty and NV follow him, with maybe a player and 2 top future picks coming back.

Dew won’t be saying much , after all he only spoke to his leadership group and had little to do with the majority of his list , which was left to his assistants. GC players will be in for a huge shock in 2024 . Holidays over on the Goldie
If it's 3 or 5 year contract. When's the target to be hit during that time? What is the target? Flag or finals. I reckon Dimma will be under more pressure and spotlight with this than if he'd continued with us. Gold Coast has officially failed many sport codes, so good luck as he's gonna cop more sh!t from the media after nearly every game.