Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Looks like Grigg has withdrawn his application to coach the Tigers.
Feels like he’s Sun’s bound with Dimma.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like Grigg has withdrawn his application to coach the Tigers.
Feels like he’s Sun’s bound with Dimma.
Did he actually withdraw, or just not apply?

There's a difference. Most of the media has been speculation about who has or hasn't applied. I saw comments that Chaplin (for example) had withdrawn, but in essence the comments were more not ready yet, not putting up my hand.

Grigg's barely been off the park. I wouldn't want him as a head coach yet.

Reactions: 6 users

There's a difference. Most of the media has been speculation about who has or hasn't applied. I saw comments that Chaplin (for example) had withdrawn, but in essence the comments were more not ready yet, not putting up my hand.

Yep, agree. The selection criteria seemed to include having coached your own team, which Grigg wouldn't have qualified for anyway, and also ruled out Chaplin.

yeah, some may have applied, but i reckon a few might have "withdrawn" after feedback which suggested they werent in the running.

Reactions: 1 users

Fair point. I heard he applied and has now withdrawn but could be word play.
But Dimma always said that Grigga’s football IQ was off the charts and am not happy we could be losing him in some capacity should he follow Dimma north.

Reactions: 2 users
No Suns Polo until next week
When they parade him out the front of the Burleigh Pav
You will be able to wave him good bye this Saturday though
Good then we can rule a line under his Richmond man life and he becomes a non event in our future

He got us 3 flags.

I reckon his message was no longer working at Richmond for whatever reason.

He left us with a lot of time to recruit a replacement.

A hell of a lot of hindsight being thrown around about Hopper and Tarranto. We were looking to try to extend the dynasty for one last try. Given how hard it is to win flags in an 18 team competition, and how hard it is to climb the mountain again, and how many clubs (including Richmond) only succeed after multiple attempts to build a team that can contend, it was a reasonable gamble. The short term payoff has not eventuated, but we still have 2 quality players for the next 6 years.

Senior coaching is a damned hard gig, the pressure is enormous, especially at a big Melbourne club. I reckon he felt he had been in the job for long enough and it was time to go.

Meanwhile, we have had our dynasty, most clubs haven't seen a successful era with multiple premierships for decades, some have never had an era like we just witnessed. StKilda may have beaten us last week, but since 2017 we have won more flags than they have won since 1873.

Now we reset. Yes, it will take time. Yes, the short term gamble on Hopper and Tarranto has not paid off. But we now look forward. We will start with a new coach, we will try to recruit as best we can. We will try to get the best out of the ageing stars and send them off as heroes when they retire. Those who play on can help the up and coming players, those who leave will get a bit of extra financial security and should always be remembered fondly by Richmond supporters.

The future beckons, the future is not now, it will take time . . . as it always does after a dominant period and as we lose the players who could make it happen.

Some patience now and hopefully good decisions made now can get us back in maybe 5 years, but while it takes time to build a team that can contend, as so many clubs can attest, time alone is not enough. The Dimma era is over, let's see how we go from here.

DS

Patience :rotfl2

On this site :rotfl2

with this mob, :rotfl2

blimey.

Going on the past, we are three years into a 37 year rebuild, we have our first interim coach, the first of 13 before we enter another successful area, and your calling for patience :rotfl2

…….Actually a good measured post, well done.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Yeah, don't believe anything you hear/read in the media. These potential coaches have to protect their reputation as well.

This frown sabotaged the *smile* out of us when he walked out the way he did.

*Oh, but he was never much good. We'll just get another one.*

Not in a hurry. Maybe not ever. And he did cost us Quaint Kinsley.

In better news Hardtraitor missed the Port triple premiership gig.

A pox on the forebears and gods of Gold Coast. On the black holes of their sons. On Hardtraitor.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
News that Black Hole Suns missed the ambassador money for Treasonwick. Maybe. If so good.

• Haha
I don’t have too many issues with him going , I guess the overriding factor is the 3 flags and the great times while it lasted.

As corny as it was with the sausage analogy, I actually think he was being honest there , he was done , nothing left to give .

But maybe it would have been better if he hang around until the end of the season , dunno , it is was it is , we move on .

Once he puts on the opposition polo he becomes the enemy though , I wish him no success there , nature of the business

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Dimma will enjoy the Golf Coast like his scout Brandon Ellis has.
Play in the sun, don’t win many games but earn good coin whilst heart always at Tigerland.
Can’t hate him for that

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t have too many issues with him going , I guess the overriding factor is the 3 flags and the great times while it lasted.

As corny as it was with the sausage analogy, I actually think he was being honest there , he was done , nothing left to give .

But maybe it would have been better if he hang around until the end of the season , dunno , it is was it is , we move on .

Once he puts on the opposition polo he becomes the enemy though , I wish him no success there , nature of the business
Great post
Opposition Polo is being worn next Tuesday apparently. GC list is average . Unless they move on all the assistants at the GC , the holiday club will just continue to be very average . Will be interesting to see what team he has under him to assist him

Didn’t he pinch the sausage analogy from Yabby?

I don't think it woud have been better though, our trajectory improved once Mini took over, although we've reverted the last couple of weeks. This is why some of the commentary here bemuses me, lamenting Hardwick for seemingly leaving us in the lurch, he didn't. He gave us enough time to go through a proper process with no competing clubs and we improved when we left. He clearly had nothing left to give us.

Reactions: 6 users