Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

My mind has gone wild with conspiracy theories. Has this been planned from a long way out? Are we somehow going to end up with a sweetheart deal from the GCS for pick 6 and Elijah Hollands? Will Dusty go there? Will Jack or Cotch go there as an assistant coach? Time will tell.

Really not fussed if he moves on to Gold Coast. He is a three time Premiership coach of our club. Not that long ago, many of us believed we would never see another flag in out lifetimes, let alone three. To say that the Hardwick era exceeded expectations would be an understatement of epic proportions.

All I can do is thank him for the wonderful memories he has given us and our children.

I may have different values to many people on here, but I have no problem with him moving on in his life. Has he been made an offer too good to refuse? Was he burnt out but is suddenly feeling better? Is he disillusioned with life in the Melbourne fishbowl? Is he chasing dollars? Fame? A new challenge? Who cares?

He did the right thing by the club by pulling the pin when he knew it was time to move on. Had he lingered a few more weeks, media scrutiny on our club would have intensified and the pressure would have become unbearable. For everyone. Him, the players, the administration, the supporters. It would have become a circus.

Instead, he called a press conference, cracked a few jokes, forced the media to write some nice articles about him and his club and the pressure was lifted immediately. The club can now select their next coach calmly, and he can plan his next move in the same way.

We should thank him for that too.

The Hardwick exit is a masterclass in how long term professional relationships should end. Quick. Clean. Orderly. Everyone stays friends.

Contrast it with the demise of Malthouse at Collingwood or Clarkson at Hawthorn.

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
Post moderated
I don't come on this forum-my only foray into the online world-to read rubbish like this. I am sure there are many spaces on the internet where this may be considered okay. Please find one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Wish him all the best at GC. Will always be a legend at RFC for bringing home 3 cups and for this alone deserves the 5+ million he'll get from the AFL. His time with us was up and had he stuck around most would be calling for his sacking.

Reactions: 4 users
Got to hand it to Hardwick he bailed at the right time. Impeccable timing.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like it’s a done deal.

5 years.

Just waiting for the AFL to tick it off.

According to reports they don’t want any assistance Re Ambassadorial.

———-

Id like to apologise to the forum for my earlier comments which were out of line

I don’t like seeing a pack mentality gang up on individuals with bullying tactics and I reacted badly to it

If I offended anyone I am sorry

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Great full, but he leaves with a sour taste for me he bailed on us none of this burnout bs never believed it his coaching since the last flag wasn't great either.

Looks like Steven King will remain as an assistant to him and Browneye reckons Duz is a big chance to follow Dimma to GC as they have the $$$$$$ to smooth out the final year on his contract to maybe 2 years.

Can't believe how many have left us in the last 3 years. This dynasty seems to be melting. I was hoping for Dimma to continue on with a new generation of players and even assistants etc...

Interesting to see what Stuey Dew says later in time about this whole story.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Dimma said in 22 his time would come eventually. Said if we needed a rebuild he'd step aside and let others do it.
I don't believe the rot in here he'd spoken to Port. I do believe GC spoke to his management though. I do believe he quit knowing he had active alternatives, even if the T&C weren't inked on a contract.
Glad he found a cookbook on his travels. Maybe he'd forgotten about the souvenirs he got travelling the US in the pre-season.
I think all up though, his "burn out" sausage has just got a bit too much mustard on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like people in this thread have lost their connection and aren't acting like Richmond men.

Oh that's right, that sh1t is only relevant when you're winning.

Really not fussed if he moves on to Gold Coast. He is a three time Premiership coach of our club. Not that long ago, many of us believed we would never see another flag in out lifetimes, let alone three. To say that the Hardwick era exceeded expectations would be an understatement of epic proportions.

All I can do is thank him for the wonderful memories he has given us and our children.

I may have different values to many people on here, but I have no problem with him moving on in his life. Has he been made an offer too good to refuse? Was he burnt out but is suddenly feeling better? Is he disillusioned with life in the Melbourne fishbowl? Is he chasing dollars? Fame? A new challenge? Who cares?

He did the right thing by the club by pulling the pin when he knew it was time to move on. Had he lingered a few more weeks, media scrutiny on our club would have intensified and the pressure would have become unbearable. For everyone. Him, the players, the administration, the supporters. It would have become a circus.

Instead, he called a press conference, cracked a few jokes, forced the media to write some nice articles about him and his club and the pressure was lifted immediately. The club can now select their next coach calmly, and he can plan his next move in the same way.

The Hardwick exit is a masterclass in how long term professional relationships should end. Quick. Clean. Orderly. Everyone stays friends.

Contrast it with the demise of Malthouse at Collingwood or Clarkson at Hawthorn.
This is how I feel about it all.

If, at the end of the 2016 season, the footballing Gods said to you "I will guarantee you one Richmond premiership in the rest of your lifetime, or you can take your chances", I'm pretty sure most of us would have taken the guaranteed flag (particularly those of my age :) ). He brought us three.

However, I will add this ... it would not surprise me at all if we learn in a year or two that he was tapped on the shoulder. I also won't be surprised if it all goes belly up at GC and he doesn't see out the contract, if he indeed does go there.

Reactions: 1 users
They will get a bloody cozy draw too in order to assist them as best as possible.

Yep, they likely won't be playing the RFC in Melbourne next year you can almost nail it on I reckon.
We played them in Melbourne this year, so it’ll probably be up there. However, if they really want to maximise GC’s chances it’ll be at Marvel. Hardwick should be treated like any former player, coach, etc. He’s no longer part of our club, so who cares about him?
He’s the
Episode 6 Enemy GIF by Archie Comics

Thanks TOTy, Very well said. Dimma guided us to 3 Premierships that I never thought I'd see. The greatest joy was being able to share them with my kids.
Something I'd almost despaired of doing.

I'm forever grateful to him for it.

Reactions: 3 users

remember those days down at tigerland when things went pear shaped….I do…
Public Media Cooking GIF by Julia Child