Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I agree with your assessment of how/if Dimma's management were approached - absolutely, that was their due diligence and Caro was all over this from 1 year ago - she has good sources in that club.

Dimma and the club and the list managers and the players and Benny/Peggy won us the flags, not Dimma on his own, although Dimma was a huge part of that. Your take that we think Dimma is above approach is wrong, but your take that he's a traitor and a dog is totally nuts, and you should reconsider that.
Yeah, I'm not 100% on how Dimma did this either, but if you want a real 'dog act', have a look at what Wossy did with the Aints last time.....and maybe what the Aints did with Ratten for Wossy to return.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm not 100% on how Dimma did this either, but if you want a real 'dog act', have a look at what Wossy did with the Aints last time.....and maybe what the Aints did with Ratten for Wossy to return.
That’s what I would term a D.A.

100%

Reactions: 1 user
And what Wallace did to the dogs (only for it to backfire).

Not even the slightest hint of conspiracy there, not even a bees *smile* of one. I've been burnt out. A month did wonders, 2 or three is even better. He'll end up with what? 5 or 6 months off? Then there is the factor of being worn out from being the one gig for a long time, change is as good as a holiday is a cliche for a reason.
Absolutely. I've been burnt out before in a previous role. Took a 3 week holiday in the sun and by the end I was totally refreshed and raring to get back to work.

Reactions: 2 users
It's the trading picks, re-tooling for another go, then not having the decency to stick the year out. Someone's got a fat offer over there, it'll be a easier than this.
He's bailed on this year so he's fresh to start the new role.
"We never weaken until the final siren's gone." Or until it gets tough and I want a holiday.
You know he left once he got another offer? Is that just what you are guessing?

And do you think we are worse off now that he has left, and would be in a better position if he just stuck around for the last 3 months of the season for the sake of it?

My answers- you are guessing, you dont know that if and when he has had an offer from elsewhere.
And, we are in a better position with McQualter coaching, and our search in full swing than we would be if Hardwick stuck around when he knew he shouldnt.

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely. I've been burnt out before in a previous role. Took a 3 week holiday in the sun and by the end I was totally refreshed and raring to get back to work.
Likewise, ive quit jobs without another to go to, because i needed to leave my employer- time was up. I knew that once I started looking I would find something, and I didnt take a year off. Ive done this multiple times.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on how Dimma did this either,
Burnout is real, mentally when you know you're done, there's no turning back. I'm fine with it. If he did it at seasons end, we wouldn't have a head start in our process. And maybe Dimma thought "I need to give Mini a crack at this".

Reactions: 8 users
Burnout is real, mentally when you know you're done, there's no turning back. I'm fine with it. If he did it at seasons end, we wouldn't have a head start in our process. And maybe Dimma thought "I need to give Mini a crack at this".
Spot on Scoop as it shows how ready Mini is with the job. 'Burnt out' was my reason in previous job I had for 5 years since Nov 2021 and now ready to go again.....even though age is catching up in some areas.

The club opened the door for dimmas departure when they left him with one yr left on his contract in 2024.

Not saying they pushed him out but the door was opened and they knew he with the old brigade retiring he would explore options

Guess what ?

He gotta an incredible option with the gc job , a long term deal with more money that he could get anywhere else and a new gf to travel up with him where he will start his new life
The gc job also allows him to leave on good terms and retain his integrity with our fans which he has loved .

Jumping ship immediately let’s him get refreshed to start anew in 2024 .also let’s us get a head start on getting a new coach before the annual sackings take place .

This is all playing out perfectly for all parties

Benny will manage this till the end of the year at least , after that who knows if he too will be seduced by more $ , afl money which is the best money to get as it is a job for life
Dima can FO adfar as lm concerned .
He pissed off mid year ! What coach does that ?

Worst was what Mark Neeld did to Melbourne by staying
More like what Melbourne did to him. They wanted him to be hard on the group because at the time the club felt the players needed toughening up. Then when Neeld tried to implement it and got the inevitable push back from the players the club didn’t back him.

I’m not a fan of Neeld as a coach but Melbourne shafted him.

I can see three things happening in the next 5 years.

1. People will realise Hardwick isn't as good as they think he is.

2. People will realise Dustin Martin is much better than they think he is.

3. There will be more evidence to support the TBR premiership theory, that above all else you need to be lucky.

More like what Melbourne did to him. They wanted him to be hard on the group because at the time the club felt the players needed toughening up. Then when Neeld tried to implement it and got the inevitable push back from the players the club didn’t back him.

I’m not a fan of Neeld as a coach but Melbourne shafted him.

Yeah maybe. But when we wanted 2 desks in his office for him to sit in depending if he was going to be the coach or a friend, you knew it was never going to work

3. There will be more evidence to support the TBR premiership theory, that above all else you need to be lucky.
Can you point me to the TBR Premiership theory? I missed it.

Can you point me to the TBR Premiership theory? I missed it.

In a nutshell the position you have to get right is the footy manager. You need competent people in the rest of the roles but ultimately you have to get lucky enough to assemble a list capable and durable enough to win a premiership together.

You can have very, very good operators in key roles and get horrible results if you aren't lucky enough to get the mix of players right at any one time and getting that mix right is indisputably luck.

From my uneducated viewpoint (in sporting terms), fitness, health, momentum, rub of the green all have to land your way for a good 3-4 weeks to bring home the cup.

(During which time anything can go wrong).

The 20 preliminary was a coin toss of a win; very close to not even making it to the last day (let alone win it).

And then in the GF Martin kept laying down the law in key moments to arrest Geelong's momentum.

The final score was not a true reflection of the game for me; we were several key moments away from losing. (in my opinion)

Luck is needed in all things.

I've taken breaks a couple of times in my career, it's really good for your mental health. Life is more than just work all the time.