Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

FWIW Sam Maclure reported in The age that the flight to Italy was following a phone call from Mark Evans to Dimma last week to see whether he was interested in the job.
I know …Sam Maclure. He quotes a senior Suns official.
All I am saying is that there are a lot of narratives around but this article does not fit the narrative that it was a done deal.
Nor does a CEO flying to Italy to finalise a deal. If the deal was done, why fly to Italy?
Maybe there had been earlier discussions , who knows? But flying to Italy to hide a some sort of behind the back conspiracy is a bit of a long bow I reckon.
Alot of tin foil speculation.

I don't think you understand my point, or my perspective. But I know treachery when I see it.

That's a melodramatic take.

Just be happy for what he brought to us rather than lamenting a lost love.

He didn't want to be there any more, time to move on - both him and us.

Reactions: 4 users
Didn’t he say 2 weeks later after sighting ‘burnout’, he was ready again?

Look I don’t hold animosity, ill feeling towards Dimma.

He brought us so much happiness, joy & tears that can never be thanked enough, but my only thing is , this should ( he ) should have called time at the end of 22 OR , done as Clarko done and taken a few weeks citing ‘mental health’ , got himself feeling good and returned. ??? Mac could have coached for 2-3 games and away we go.

He sold the prospect to two boys to come to the Tigers. Hindsight is always a wonderful thing after , but would those two boys come to the Tigers if Dimma wasn’t coach?

We lost a couple good assistants on the proviso he would be our coach till 24.

When did he do the extension?

Sometime in 22? Not sure.

I know other coaches of ours have gone on and coached other teams but Dimma spent 14 years with ‘us’. We rode ever bump, every low and every high. The thought of him coaching elsewhere and IF a deal was agreed too , coach GCS, then I don’t know how to feel.

Conflicted yes.
Brought the 2 in because he felt this year was it for the group.All became too difficult once Lynch went down.Dimma knew it and i bet most of us knew it deep down.

They tell you what they want to tell you
Utter BS
Everyone knows included RFC that Hardwick had his “ feelers “ out at Round 5
RFC knew he wanted out and wasn’t going to coach in 2024
Port Adelaide knew this thus had meeting during Round 5 ( Gather Round )
4 weeks later after a “ tap on the shoulder “ he resigns
The current situation with GC is very interesting
Why ? As they were into Ken Hinkley at start of year
Mark Evans now in Italy ( it makes good theatre hey ) trying to wooo Dimma
Guess what ? They are close friends who speak regularly. Could have just rang him seriously
As for Dimma being burnt out
Utter BS
2 weeks later he wants to coach again , really ?
Interesting when he left Punt Rd after the media conference he came back at 7am on the Thursday ( footy department day off ) to pick up his belongings. No send off for Dimma either for a reason
Major fall out with club
Only turned up for Cotchin 300 to save face
Talking about utter BS.

Gee he recovered quick from “ burn out “ hey
Not even the slightest hint of conspiracy there, not even a bees *smile* of one. I've been burnt out. A month did wonders, 2 or three is even better. He'll end up with what? 5 or 6 months off? Then there is the factor of being worn out from being the one gig for a long time, change is as good as a holiday is a cliche for a reason.

Reactions: 4 users
That's a melodramatic take.

Just be happy for what he brought to us rather than lamenting a lost love.

He didn't want to be there any more, time to move on - both him and us.
I've got no problems with people moving on. The way it's been done is distasteful.

Reactions: 2 users
But there's definitely been contact. Things got tough. He had a sweetheart arrangement in place that would be easier to get success from than rebuilding us. Exit stage left. Get 4-6 months holidays. Roll up for pre-season feeling refreshed.
There's a lot of "definitely" and "fact" on this thread followed by some theory or opinion.

Ive said it before, but i dont see what is so hard to accept about someone quitting their job because its lost its enjoyment, and they have a confidence they will get another job when they need to. then taking a few months off- doing the things that couldnt be done whilst working, and then returning to work with a different employer?

Reactions: 6 users
There's a lot of "definitely" and "fact" on this thread followed by some theory or opinion.

Ive said it before, but i dont see what is so hard to accept about someone quitting their job because its lost its enjoyment, and they have a confidence they will get another job when they need to. then taking a few months off- doing the things that couldnt be done whilst working, and then returning to work with a different employer?
It's the trading picks, re-tooling for another go, then not having the decency to stick the year out. Someone's got a fat offer over there, it'll be a easier than this.
He's bailed on this year so he's fresh to start the new role.
"We never weaken until the final siren's gone." Or until it gets tough and I want a holiday.

Sorry, there are some really strange views on here which are very concerning for me - we have finally tasted sustained success after 37 baron years - a coach who has changed the face of the club, beaten down all those jokey perceptions of the tigers being a basket case and built us into a respected and at times feared club - we have not been in the 8 all year basically yet some people would hate to face us in a final - what does that tell us?

We should celebrate the man and what he has done for us, given us.

It was obvious to most that he was tired of coaching the tigers - 13 years, over 300 games, god, give the man a break - how much more do you expect him to give the club. He invested everything he had - it actually cost him his marriage ffs (rather than the dumb conspiracy on here about his marriage breakup costing the tigers further success).

Every successful coach or half decent player will have agents saying - “if you leave, let us know, lining up to grab him if he hits the market……..”

He works at the club, it’s a contract, last I looked he hadn’t signed a marriage certificate that says until death do us part - talk about sour, confused thinking - it was time - at least Hardwick is mature enough to see that. Some on hear reckon he stayed 6 to 12 months too long, some reckon he should stay another 6 to 12 months and see out his contract - tells me he got his timing about right.

Rather than all these loopy comments on here about betrayal, double crossing players and club, secret deals etc I am looking at you @Dustintime @The_General , it happens, players and coaches move on, that’s life - so please, let’s celebrate him as a tiger champion rather than slag on him.

Reactions: 19 users
You're entitled to your opinion. We all know the way AFL industry works.
I'm entitled to my analysis, you are entitled to your hyperbole.

There are a number of layers to this, firstly your premise that we've thrown away the long term for a short term roll of the dice is wrong at worst, highly debateable at absolute best, it was debated to death on here and that was the outcome of that debate. Your carrying-on as if it is the irrefuteable truth, its not.

Second, even if it was the truth, most of us were on board anyway, it wasn't some excercise in hoodwinking the masses. It didn't work out, this season I mean, doesn't mean it wasn't a good plan.

Third even if it was the truth, people change their minds, their plans, their priorities. Happens all the time. Decisions made are not always perfectly planned and perfect for all parties at all times. And even then, we haven't been shafted in any case, there are benefits to us.

Thread is cooker town.

Reactions: 3 users
It's the trading picks, re-tooling for another go, then not having the decency to stick the year out. Someone's got a fat offer over there, it'll be a easier than this.
He's bailed on this year so he's fresh to start the new role.
"We never weaken until the final siren's gone." Or until it gets tough and I want a holiday.
I'm glad he convinced Meatball/Nank & Lynch too come on over.

I think there's a bit of subtlety there.
You can't go get other contracts when you're contracted .....but your manager can. I don't believe Richmond were tapping him on the shoulder.
The rawness of his resignation and the shellshock on people's faces was to genuine and natural for it to be staged across a large group of people. Gale looked as frazzled as anyone. The resignation is probably been a fly in the ointment to Gale going to AFL house - he's got one last task to do.
But I'm absolutely certain GC had contacted his manager and offered non-specific amounts of millions over non specific years. They can all look in a camera and say there was no contract at that time - and it be completely true.
But there's definitely been contact. Things got tough. He had a sweetheart arrangement in place that would be easier to get success from than rebuilding us. Exit stage left. Get 4-6 months holidays. Roll up for pre-season feeling refreshed.
Yes he won 3 premierships. But he was nearly sacked. The CLUB backed him in. He wasn't doing us a favour, we did him one. This narrative that we should be grateful he graced us with his presence needs to stop.
He was saved from the ex-coaches club. The club supported and developed him. They helped him become who he is, and create the Hardwick reputation, the legacy. It was a symbiotic relationship where he was paid handsomely. Yes I don't doubt he loved the place. I don't doubt there's genuine affection for him from all. Doesn't mean self preservation hasn't kicked in here.

I agree with your assessment of how/if Dimma's management were approached - absolutely, that was their due diligence and Caro was all over this from 1 year ago - she has good sources in that club.

Dimma and the club and the list managers and the players and Benny/Peggy won us the flags, not Dimma on his own, although Dimma was a huge part of that. Your take that we think Dimma is above approach is wrong, but your take that he's a traitor and a dog is totally nuts, and you should reconsider that.

It's just my opinion of course but shitting on our 3 time premiership Moses because he did us a huge favour and called time is a dog act full of treachery. Grow up.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users