Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

I had mail from a mate preseason that if Dimma coached anywhere else it would be GC. He's always had a desire to live up that way. It wouldn't be a surprise to anyone in his circle that he'd take the job or GC would be tripping over themselves to sign him. I wouldn't speculate he had the job in RD5. I think that's just a realisation his heart wasn't in it and the message wasn't getting through at Richmond anymore. That's how I'd like to remember it anyway...
I'd like to think that was the case but with a new missus a new mortgage and potentially kids to come I would be very surprised if he didn't know the GC job was on offer before he pulled the pin.

Divorce is brutal financially no matter who you are. Whilst Dimma would have been on good coin no way he could afford to be out of work given his personal circumstance.

I'm pretty disappointed that he took a full payout knowing he would be working next year. He should be made to pay it back.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to think that was the case but with a new missus a new mortgage and potentially kids to come I would be very surprised if he didn't know the GC job was on offer before he pulled the pin.

Divorce is brutal financially no matter who you are. Whilst Dimma would have been on good coin no way he could afford to be out of work given his personal circumstance.

I'm pretty disappointed that he took a full payout knowing he would be working next year. He should be made to pay it back.
I could be wrong but I heard KK that the club & he agreed to be paid out this year but not 24.

And yes… divorce can be brutal financially and the like.

Agree with you there.

Reactions: 1 users
We've performed much better since Dimma left, so no issue there.

Timing? Maybe could have been better but we got a more than adequate replacement so no issue there either, for me at least. Could we have got Fly or Kingsley? Maybe but they may have wanted new environments anyway.

The last issue then - honesty/loyalty - did he have the GC gig lined up? I reckon GC would have approached his management last year just to sound him out, due diligence by them.

Again this would have been an option for him, absolutely.
For mine though, once you out, you are out, you can do what you want.

He goes with my blessing. Thanks for getting respect back for the RFC, thanks for building a list and thanks for the three flags Dimma.

Reactions: 13 users
I could be wrong but I heard KK that the club & he agreed to be paid out this year but not 24.

Agree with you there.
I've heard different, in that he didn't expect the club to pay him out at all. Eg his pay wasn't until the end of this year, and next year was definitely off the cards.

Which makes you think, why would you do that, unless you knew there was already something in the wings - particularly if he has a divorce settlement (not sure if he does or doesn't).

• Wow
OR - I would be pretty happy to go on an overseas holiday and have some bastard fly around the world and bother me by trying to get me to take a big fat cheque.
As would any Joe Citizen, me included!

But he's not your average bloke. He's obviously already well off, so surely it could've waited. I know I'd appreciate that if I was in his situation.

This hits the heights of 'last dance at the Dorset on a Saturday night' levels of desperation from the Suns.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure it was reported that he got a minimal payout of this years fee and nothing of next years. Dimma was the one who chose to leave, he didn't get pushed so there'd be nil obligation from our side.

Reactions: 4 users

Agree with you there.
Yep that's what I heard also. My point is he shouldn't have got the 2023 pay out.

Pretty sure it was reported that he got a minimal payout of this years fee and nothing of next years. Dimma was the one who chose to leave, he didn't get pushed so there'd be nil obligation from our side.
That's not what I heard. I heard he got the full 2023 wack as a gesture of goodwill given the 3 flags.

Given he was on close to $1 million a year thats $700k he has walked away with. No wonder he has been flying around the world 1st class for the last 3 months.

• Sad

But he's not your average bloke. He's obviously already well off, so surely it could've waited. I know I'd appreciate that if I was in his situation.

This hits the heights of 'last dance at the Dorset on a Saturday night' levels of desperation from the Suns.
As soon as Dimma said he missed coaching and would end up returning to coaching again at sometime, he threw the door wide open himself. Any club thinking about a coaching change would have started asking questions.

Horse *smile*.

He got paid PLENTY. Yes, he got us three premierships. But he didn't
a) do it alone
b) was paid to actually achieve this task

Yes. I've applied for another job before I've left another. But I haven't asked the business I was working at to restructure to give me success, then walk out when it looked like that plan wasn't working.

We gave draft picks to have a "last dance." I'm sure the club signed off on it- so like he didn't solely create premierships, he didn't solely give up picks. But if you ask, nay drive, a planned direction. You stick around to see it through, not say. Sorry folks, it's got too hard.

Dog act.
Do you know what the term 'dog act' means?

As soon as Dimma said he missed coaching and would end up returning to coaching again at sometime, he threw the door wide open himself. Any club thinking about a coaching change would have started asking questions.
Yeah either that or he already had the GC gig so was warming up the AFL community to the fact he would be back soon.

Think they are trying to get to him before the Eagles

Last edited:
  • Wow

Holy crap I miss grab a granny!

• Haha
You're right. But that said, I still don't think that makes his own time fair game to anyone who sees fit to interrupt it. Time and a place.