Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

As a number of us have said the latest movement on this is pretty conclusive that he didn't have a deal.

Because most coaches get signed while they are in Europe and the club just plucks a 5 year deal for them out of the clear blue sky

If anyone doesnt think he had a deal with them before he quit Ive got a bridge going really cheap to sell

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nobody here ever set up another job to go to if you've run your race at the previous one?
Call it burned out, needing a change whatever you like but 14 years is a long time in the one place.
He's climbed the mountain. The down slope looks less fun.

Thousands of coaches get sacked, he's gone out on his own terms. Big *smile* deal.

Dimma owes us absolutely nothing. We owe him plenty.
Yeah, fair call

Reactions: 1 user
Have to admit that speech he made last season in the B&F about the 'take the stairs' sounded a bit empty after a few listenings/thoughts. That cheap camp this pre-season without him there proved he was done.
And interestingly the media darling in Fly from Dollywood has used the same line this year.

Reactions: 1 users
I want Dimma to arrive at first day training with GC in a gold helicopter, rappel down with two bikini clad women and march through an avenue of honour consisting of Paul Cronin, Christopher Skase, Alan Bond and Warwick Capper.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I found it interesting today that Mini said Dimma's still checking in with the footy dept. to offer advice
The conspiracy probably is that he's grooming them to take them north.
The reality is he probably still cares about the club.

Reactions: 13 users
I found it interesting today that Mini said Dimma's still checking in with the footy dept. to offer advice
I reckon Mc Qualter is nailed on to go to join Dimma if he misses the RFC gig.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd be pretty f*****g annoyed if I was on an overseas holiday and some bastard flew around the world to bother me with work sh1t.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Nobody here ever set up another job to go to if you've run your race at the previous one?
Call it burned out, needing a change whatever you like but 14 years is a long time in the one place.
He's climbed the mountain. The down slope looks less fun.

Thousands of coaches get sacked, he's gone out on his own terms. Big *smile* deal.

Dimma owes us absolutely nothing. We owe him plenty.
Horse *smile*.

He got paid PLENTY. Yes, he got us three premierships. But he didn't
a) do it alone
b) was paid to actually achieve this task

Yes. I've applied for another job before I've left another. But I haven't asked the business I was working at to restructure to give me success, then walk out when it looked like that plan wasn't working.

We gave draft picks to have a "last dance." I'm sure the club signed off on it- so like he didn't solely create premierships, he didn't solely give up picks. But if you ask, nay drive, a planned direction. You stick around to see it through, not say. Sorry folks, it's got too hard.

Dog act.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I don't know much about Carr, but I do like the idea of an outsider to break some bad habits from the past few years. Think 50 metre penalties,
selfish arguing with umpires etc. Fresh eyes and ideas may be needed as we have persisted with some tactics that simply don't work anymore.
More speed and height when recruiting.
An objective look at the current list is needed.

Reactions: 5 users
Because most coaches get signed while they are in Europe and the club just plucks a 5 year deal for them out of the clear blue sky

If anyone doesnt think he had a deal with them before he quit Ive got a bridge going really cheap to sell
How long is it and how much are you asking for it?

• Haha
Horse *smile*.

a) do it alone

Yes. I've applied for another job before I've left another. But I haven't asked the business I was working at to restructure to give me success, then walk out when it looked like that plan wasn't working.

We gave draft picks to have a "last dance." I'm sure the club signed off on it- so like he didn't solely create premierships, he didn't solely give up picks. But if you ask, nay drive, a planned direction. You stick around to see it through, not say. Sorry folks, it's got too hard.

Dog act.
I respect what you are saying but I think ‘dog act’ is a tad too much.

Anyway I buy it totally that he is/was cooked. I think it is a mistake by Gold Coast and will end badly.

I think Dimma will be suffering some withdrawals, there will be parts of the job he misses - hence he keeping in weekly touch.
But when he buys back in completely with GC it’s a different story. It’s not Sunshine and Roses up there, it will be hard yards.
As much as he doesn’t want it to be done, I think he’s done. He misses the good bits, not the hard stuff

Reactions: 3 users
I thought it was interesting too. I found it just as easy to dream the conspiracy that the whole thing’s been orchestrated to give him a rest, and he’ll back day one of preseason, fresh as a daisy and full of European intel. My theory involves Premier League embedments, ayahuasca and a visit from The Ghost of Premierships Past, and is no less substantiated than anyone else’s.

Horse *smile*.

a) do it alone

Dog act.
A bit fruity, but yes I can see your point. The timing and reinvigoration were just plain bizarre. Totally agree with A and B.
Further, the music was still playing and we were still on the dance floor when he "exited stage right." (not chased by a Bear, but a Sun)

• Haha
I want Dimma to arrive at first day training with GC in a gold helicopter, rappel down with two bikini clad women and march through an avenue of honour consisting of Paul Cronin, Christopher Skase, Alan Bond and Warwick Capper.
How could you forget the late Geoffrey Edelsten?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I'd be pretty f*****g annoyed if I was on an overseas holiday and some bastard flew around the world to bother me with work sh1t.

OR - I would be pretty happy to go on an overseas holiday and have some bastard fly around the world and bother me by trying to get me to take a big fat cheque.

There's no doubt the Lynch injury changed any chance of a 'last dance'. Dimma said as much in his departing presser.
That changed the ballgame. He's not stupid.

exactly. People getting indignant about not much, if anything. 13 plus years, and coach years are like dog years, and 3 flags, taken us from a laughing stock back to a powerhouse, and people are sooking that every aspect of his exit wasn't perfect based on 20 20 hindsight? Its whackyland.
Couldn't agree more. Some people on here have *smile* short memories. Before Hardwick arrived I thought that the RFC was doomed to fail forever. It was one of my few certaintys in life. 2017 changed everything. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a month. I wish him all the success in the world in whatever he wants to do.

Reactions: 7 users
Think it is always different when it’s one of yours.
Nah. He was here to do a job and did it superbly. But same as with the players, it's only a job we don't bloody well own them forever. We give a bit of extra courtesy, respect and reverence to the few who are stars of our club, but they all have a functional use by date and once they hit it....................................NEXT.

Reactions: 5 users