Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

burnout was always a load of bong sediment

dimma left because he'd run his course with the players and there was no growth to be had

absolutely a thing in footy as it is in all elite sport worldwide

a blissfully-timed departure for all parties if ever i saw one, i dunno why there'd be any angst from fans or media
Well said

burnout was always a load of bong sediment

dimma left because he'd run his course with the players and there was no growth to be had

absolutely a thing in footy as it is in all elite sport worldwide

a blissfully-timed departure for all parties if ever i saw one, i dunno why there'd be any angst from fans or media
Almost blissfully-timed

I would have preferred that he left after the end of a season so a new coach could run a pre season and have involvement in trading and drafting.

I understand that Dimma may not have been at the stage to make that decision at the end of 2022 but that certainly would have been better for everyone.

Find it a bit strange.
First, Dimma resigns, claiming burnout.
Not long after, states he would like to coach again.
Then, GC sack their coach.
Now, Dimma is the fave to get the gig.
All too comfy methinks.
Dimma was “ tapped on the shoulder “ after the Dreamtime Game you will find
Why ?
Tiges had gotten wind he wasn’t going to be at punt rd in 2024 and was caught out meeting with Port during Gather Round ( round 5)
4 weeks later he was gone
Good job by RFC to move him on , as heart and mind elsewhere

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bit older. It wasn't just the Scum. I always got the impression he was a Richmond person at heart and Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney were just pay cheques.

Tommy was a Tiger through & through, I can tell you that for a fact.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's all of the above. Burnt out, run out of sausage recipes, and had one eyeball on a possible future gig.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly whilst the players no doubt miss him & wish him well, they look noticeably happier & more unified since he left. I think he did the club a favour.
This. Hardwick will forever be remembered as the bloke who got us to the glory land.

But in hindsight his time was up. Players were flat. He pigeon holed his stars. No coincidence Martin is playing with a sense of freedom now that he came roam between centre square and the forward 50. Cotchin the same.

Reactions: 10 users
Hardwick was pretty clear in his presser. He had flipped the snags so many times that he couldn't find another way to flip them. But that relates purely to the BBQ (RFC) and snags(players) he was on.

New BBQ, new snags, new utensils, better BBQ weather, and the AFL guaranteeing that he gets as much fire as he needs, he'll happily be the Tong Master again.

• Haha
The first thing Hardwick will do is get rid of Campbell and get Livingstone to replace him.

Don't know about that, he was sitting right behind Dimma at The Champ's 300th ((13minutes in after the King goal).

Reactions: 1 users
Dimma was “ tapped on the shoulder “ after the Dreamtime Game you will find
Why ?
Tiges had gotten wind he wasn’t going to be at punt rd in 2024 and was caught out meeting with Port during Gather Round ( round 5)
4 weeks later he was gone
Good job by RFC to move him on , as heart and mind elsewhere
How do you know this

• Wow
Dunno. The non-believers crucified him in 2016. He then rose from the dead in 2017, surrounded by the true believers and led us to the Promised Land.

Only difference between Dimma and Jesus is that Dimma's mum wasn't a virgin.
Mighta been just before she got pregnant.

Hardwick was pretty clear in his presser. He had flipped the snags so many times that he couldn't find another way to flip them. But that relates purely to the BBQ (RFC) and snags(players) he was on.

New BBQ, new snags, new utensils, better BBQ weather, and the AFL guaranteeing that he gets as much fire as he needs, he'll happily be the Tong Master again.
And a better run from the umpires? That would swing it on it’s own.

• Haha
Well pity for WCE then. Reports suggest Simpson signed a 5 year contract just before that 6 month maximum was introduced meaning WCE have to pay him out at full freight for 2024 and 2025. Then they have to pay not 75% of excess breach of the soft cap as I thought they did, but 200%.

If Simpson is on say $1m per year that’s say appx. $500k for the remainder of 23, then $2m for 24 and 25 collectively plus another $5m in luxury tax meaning they have to pay out in total appx. $7.5m and that’s before they pay another coach.

I could never understand why they kept him on after last year. Thought he’d get the flick in September 2022. Now I understand why they had to keep him. What a situation, geez.
Pretty sure that pay out cap was only introduced for the clubs that are getting massive AFL financial support as there was a freight train of coach payouts by pathetic managers who would then run to the AFL for more funding to save them. Clubs that are self sufficient such as Tiges, Colonwood, Weagles etc aren't forced into the payout restriction.

I will always respect Dimma, but it'll wear out as time goes by if he becomes coach elsewhere again.

I always wonder how Tiger supporters older than me (56) felt watching Tommy coach that Scum of a club during the late 70s/early 80s.
Never had an issue with it. Tommy was a Tiger legend plain and simple. We were stupid enough to sack him and the bloke was entitled to earn a living so he went and coached elsewhere.
Coaching footy is a fairly short term industry with a very restricted market for new opportunities.
Dimma gave us all he could while he was at Tiger land and that included our drought breaker and threesome. Don't give a stuff where he goes to coach next, he'll always be a Tiger legend, same as Tommy. If he does happen to win another flag elsewhere good luck to him, just hope it's not by trampling over the Tigers during the finals series to get there.

Its fair to remember that its hugely tribal for us lot, but for players/coaches/admin its a job. Long hours and high pressure.
I guess the lucky ones still keep the fun and wonder of it. Dimma seems mostly to have it.
He didnt want to work at RFC anymore.
Fair enough.
Doesnt mean he cant cheer the side, read our news, buy his kids memberships and jumpers, have a spot in the middle of his heart for us.
Can he go get a new job? Why the sausage not?

Never had an issue with it. Tommy was a Tiger legend plain and simple. We were stupid enough to sack him and the bloke was entitled to earn a living so he went and coached elsewhere.
Coaching footy is a fairly short term industry with a very restricted market for new opportunities.
Dimma gave us all he could while he was at Tiger land and that included our drought breaker and threesome. Don't give a stuff where he goes to coach next, he'll always be a Tiger legend, same as Tommy. If he does happen to win another flag elsewhere good luck to him, just hope it's not by trampling over the Tigers during the finals series to get there.
We probably were stupid sacking Tommy but it wasn’t cut and dried. Tommy’s type of coaching had a use by date, Tommy’s teams were the fittest and fiercest but they weren't sophisticated. We did actually have a bit of a bump in 1977 after he left, following a poor 1976.
That being said he may have left a touch early and of course the next year he nearly pulled off one of the greatest coaching feats of all time when he took Collingwood from wooden spooner to beaten grand finalist in a season.
I’ll always be grateful for what Tommy did for the tigers as I will be with Dimma.

Last edited:
We probably were stupid sacking Tommy but it wasn’t cut and dried. Tommy’s type of coaching had a use by date, Tommy’s teams were the fittest and fiercest but they weren't sophisticated. We did actually have a bit of a bump in 1977 after he left, following a poor 1976.
That being he said he may have left a touch early and of course the next year he nearly pulled off one of the greatest coaching feats of all time when he took Collingwood from wooden spooner to beaten grand finalist in a season.
I’ll always be grateful for what Tommy did for the tigers as I will be with Dimma.
Sacking aside, going by his coaching style wearing out, I suppose most Tiger supporters had some angst seeing Tommy carry the Scum to 5 GFs from 1977 - 1981, luckily losing all 4 (1 drawn), while we only got into 1 in that 5 year period but won it. Imagine if this was the other way round.

Sacking aside, going by his coaching style wearing out, I suppose most Tiger supporters had some angst seeing Tommy carry the Scum to 5 GFs from 1977 - 1981, luckily losing all 4 (1 drawn), while we only got into 1 in that 5 year period but won it. Imagine if this was the other way round.
Didn’t matter to me if it was Tommy or not, I couldn’t detest Collingwood any more no matter who the coach was.

I don’t remember but i am sure there was a bit of “what if” in 77-79 especially from the supporters.

Reactions: 1 user
I will always respect Dimma, but it'll wear out as time goes by if he becomes coach elsewhere again.

I always wonder how Tiger supporters older than me (56) felt watching Tommy coach that Scum of a club during the late 70s/early 80s.

I'm barely older than you and remember it well.

I was astounded when we pushed 4 time premiership coach Tommy out the door. Still reckon that was the moment the rot set in, just took a while to really mess us up.

When Hafey took Collingwood from the wooden spoon to the closest you can get to a flag without winning one, it took 2 Grand Finals to get rid of them, it just vindicated that we should have kept Hafey. Yes, his coaching was starting to look a bit out-dated, but the results at Collingwood were a testament to how good he was, and we should have kept him. He was smart enough to adapt to change, and in any case, the fundamentals of being fit and play hard still work. People used to criticise Hafey for not moving players, but he always said they needed to beat their man and he wasn't going to give them the opportunity to get moved away from an opponent who was beating them. It was a conscious decision rather than a lack of strategy.

Can't say I remember having any animosity towards Hafey when he went elsewhere.

Always a Richmond man for mine, remains our most successful coach with 4 flags.

DS