Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Whoever thinks this deal with Suns wasn't preplanned is living in fairyland Carro was on to it bigtime nothing to do with burnout as she said it was a change of club and Dimma is entitled to it. What I don't like is this bs burnout. I didn't buy it feels like he jumped ship a bit to. Forever great full for those flags , but his not immune to criticism.
Said what i was trying to say, but better

Reactions: 2 users
Dimma won't have much luck at GC unless he can surround himself with quality coaches and admin.

Always been of the opinion that he's a better people manager than he is a tactical or technical football coach. Needs the right pieces in place to be successful. We saw this throughout his tenure with Richmond. We peaked when our coaching and admin teams were A grade.

Reactions: 3 users
burnout was always a load of bong sediment

dimma left because he'd run his course with the players and there was no growth to be had

absolutely a thing in footy as it is in all elite sport worldwide

a blissfully-timed departure for all parties if ever i saw one, i dunno why there'd be any angst from fans or media

Reactions: 10 users
He's saying he's ready and it's been 6 weeks.
Gale said when they had a beer together he realised Dimma was "cooked" (note: not baked - there's a difference). Didn't try talking him out of it. Just listened.
But now he's ready to coach, and missing it? And he was linked to GCS the day he quit?

More than a few coincidences.
Just wait until
AFL will pay him extra as an ambassador as they did Ablett, Folou, Hayne and whomever else.
this…

Don't forget he also said he'd cooked the sausages 1000 times and couldn't find 1001. That's code for "I've taken this group as far as I can ...its time for someone new." And it's not like our performances from 2021 onwards didn't reflect that. In my mind, he should have presented that as his primary reason for quitting v being burnt out. I think he might have unintentionally mixed them up a bit.

To that end, I see it as a win-win for everybody. For us as a club and having a fresh voice and a new era, and for Hooch who can get another role and earn a quid, and for GC to get a pretty decent coach that can hopefully turn things around for them. The only loser in it all is S. Dew.

I harbor no hopes he turns GC around.

I hope he wins 5 wooden spoons on the trot and they disband them

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Interesting to see if certain people renege on contracts (support staff).
were their stipulations in contracts when a certain person bid farewell.
this Off season will be fun.
I wouldn’t screw over Benny.
screw you joan crawford GIF by IFC

I harbor no hopes he turns GC around.

I hope he wins 5 wooden spoons on the trot and they disband them
Such a bitter man/woman/person/any and all or none of the preceding.

(That’s my gender neutral way of addressing people per my company’s new guidelines. Just practicing. Thanks.)

Such a bitter man/woman/person/any and all or none of the preceding.

(That’s my gender neutral way of addressing people per my company’s new guidelines. Just practicing. Thanks.)

I identify as transparent.

My preferred pronoun is Where.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
burnout was always a load of bong sediment

dimma left because he'd run his course with the players and there was no growth to be had

absolutely a thing in footy as it is in all elite sport worldwide

a blissfully-timed departure for all parties if ever i saw one, i dunno why there'd be any angst from fans or media
Honestly whilst the players no doubt miss him & wish him well, they look noticeably happier & more unified since he left. I think he did the club a favour.

Reactions: 9 users
I will always respect Dimma, but it'll wear out as time goes by if he becomes coach elsewhere again.

I always wonder how Tiger supporters older than me (56) felt watching Tommy coach that Scum of a club during the late 70s/early 80s.
I, for one, didn't like it the least bit.
Never sat right with me.
Strangely enough, I am okay about the Tigers having a new coach in 2024.
Onwards and upwards

Reactions: 1 users
I will always respect Dimma, but it'll wear out as time goes by if he becomes coach elsewhere again.

I always wonder how Tiger supporters older than me (56) felt watching Tommy coach that Scum of a club during the late 70s/early 80s.

Well i fall into your older category, (60), and never did I lose respect for T'Shirt Tommy, loved the man till the day he died, once a tiger always a tiger and no prouder one than Tommy.

"Nothin' more Tigerish than a bloody TIiger, a wounded Tiger"

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Well i fall into your older category, (60), and never did I lose respect for T'Shirt Tommy, loved the man till the day he died, once a tiger always a tiger and no prouder one than Tommy.

"Nothin' more Tigerish than a bloody TIiger, a wounded Tiger"
Very different situation though. Hafey didn’t want to leave, Greame Richmond pushed him out. Under those circumstances you’d be hard pressed to find a Richmond supporter who felt anything other than gratitude and respect for Hafey.

Dimma has walked out on the club. You can dress it up anyway you like (burn out, can’t cook snags anymore) but the fact is Dimma didn’t want to coach us anymore and walked on all the people he professed to love.

Not comparable to the Hafey situation at all.

Dimma was a major part of returning Richmond to a powerhouse club delivering 3 premierships and for that I thank him. But once his allegiance’s are somewhere else then so are mine.

Reactions: 3 users
I think he wasn't cooked with coaching, just coaching us.
Couldn't get more out of the list as per Bangers comment.

I just hope he sits it out next year, then goes for the next job.
Effectively telling Evans to "*smile* off, why would I coach GC?"

Unless they throw huge bags of coin at him.

Also would be a nice up yours to City Hall and Gill or Dill or whatever they go by now.

Then again maybe Dimma has been downloading new recipes!

Reactions: 1 user
He’d had enough and couldn’t get out the door quick enough as soon as he decided he was done, (which I have no issues with).

However the speed of his exit felt very strange given what he and the group had achieved; even leaving without allowing supporters the chance to turn up and show him their appreciation.

The ‘burnout’ rhetoric was definitely overplayed, but was more palatable than ‘this team is going nowhere and I’m not sticking around to rebuild it’ (fair enough)

He was always going to coach again, and next year.

Though footy for me is tribal, and given he’s no longer Richmond’s Alpha I wish him a solid 9th-14th finish for the rest of his coaching career.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm a bit older. It wasn't just the Scum. I always got the impression he was a Richmond person at heart and Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney were just pay cheques.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a bit older. It wasn't just the Scum. I always got the impression he was a Richmond person at heart and Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney were just pay cheques.
Tommy was all Richmond.He just got shafted at the end.Had he been kept I have no doubt that he would have got us another two flags.

I had Tommy give motivational speeches to our leaders on a couple of occasions. He was always engaging and just brilliant but spoke candidly when chatting after. He openly said whilst he enjoyed his time at Collingwood and Geelong he was always a Richmond man. He said that if he had his time again he wouldn’t have coached Sydney.

Reactions: 4 users
Early in 2023 Hardwick resigned from RFC effective end of 2023 season. Hardwick told us this in his big presser.......
A couple of other factors that weigh the GCS role more attractive

Port role would mean living in Adelaide. Port role would give him more media and fan scrutiny on his every move, more than it did with us.
GCS living on the Gold Coast (ok, not brilliant but a fair site more enjoyable than Adelaide). He'd have a lot less pressure and scrutiny, plus the novelty of being in charge of the AFL's love child rather than the club the AFL worked to reign in.