Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Whoever thinks this deal with Suns wasn't preplanned is living in fairyland Carro was on to it bigtime nothing to do with burnout as she said it was a change of club and Dimma is entitled to it. What I don't like is this bs burnout. I didn't buy it feels like he jumped ship a bit to. Forever great full for those flags , but his not immune to criticism.
Don't forget he also said he'd cooked the sausages 1000 times and couldn't find 1001. That's code for "I've taken this group as far as I can ...its time for someone new." And it's not like our performances from 2021 onwards didn't reflect that. In my mind, he should have presented that as his primary reason for quitting v being burnt out. I think he might have unintentionally mixed them up a bit.

To that end, I see it as a win-win for everybody. For us as a club and having a fresh voice and a new era, and for Hooch who can get another role and earn a quid, and for GC to get a pretty decent coach that can hopefully turn things around for them. The only loser in it all is S. Dew.

Reactions: 14 users
I seriously think Dimma had run out of ideas with this group and a change had to happen, so I am comfortable with him coaching GC next year and don't care if there was some sort of plan to do it.

Now if he was going to the scum $&@#

Reactions: 7 users
Don't forget he also said he'd cooked the sausages 1000 times and couldn't find 1001. That's code for "I've taken this group as far as I can ...its time for someone new." And it's not like our performances from 2021 onwards didn't reflect that. In my mind, he should have presented that as his primary reason for quitting v being burnt out. I think he might have unintentionally mixed them up a bit.

To that end, I see it as a win-win for everybody. For us as a club and having a fresh voice and a new era, and for Hooch who can get another role and earn a quid, and for GC to get a pretty decent coach that can hopefully turn things around for them. The only loser in it all is S. Dew.
Yeah, the "burnt out" bit should probably read "burnt out with this playing group". and yes, a win- win for everyone really. But i reckon he would be a bit "burnt out" in general too. An AFL coach doesnt get much time off. Season finishes and it straight into list management. The trade and draft seasons finishes and it is straight into pre-season. Even when he was in the States preseason he would still have in contact with the club and thinking about the upcoming season. He has now had a couple of months without that pressure and is probably a lot better off for it.

I doubt he had the Suns job when he quit. he may have thought there was a good chance it would come up, but relying on them to fail again to allow them to sack the coach isnt really a great plan. But if was thinking about his future when he quit he would have known he would get another job when he put his hand up again. Coaching positions come up every year, and he would be at the front of the line for pretty much club in the AFL.

Reactions: 9 users

Agree with the win-win for all - including Tiger fans

I'm rapt for him in a number of ways.

He’ll always be an absolute hero/legend Tiger - just as Tommy Hafey was (and Tony Jewell too) despite leaving us and coaching elsewhere
And fwiw - I’d like him to do well at Gold Coast and if they were ever to make finals I’d barrack for them against anyone but us (and that was never the case with Tommy or TJ)

So good luck to Dimma from both the footy side and the financial side of things (if this occurs)

Personally I want GC to succeed long term (in an AFL comp that one day gets rid of NM and hopefully another couple of Vic teams - apologies for including another NM rant in this)

Reactions: 6 users
i only read back 2 pages, so what I am about to say has probably been said, but i will say it anyway...

I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, but the suggestion that Dimma quit Richmond because the AFL wanted him at the Gold Coast is 100% plausible.

We know how the AFL operate and this smells of them being behind this.

But you know what? From our POV, I am OK with this. I think it was time for a change... I just hate the way the AFL goes about it. And I will lose my sh!t if Dimma takes any of our people with him.

Reactions: 1 users
Dimma had to either stay for the next 10 years so see out our next dynasty, or move on. He didn't have that in him, and now a new coach gets a chance to develop the list for the next big era of success.

Reactions: 4 users
Quite a few players will follow Dimma I would imagine, the retirement village about to get some more cattle.

Reactions: 2 users
Dimma had to either stay for the next 10 years so see out our next dynasty, or move on. He didn't have that in him, and now a new coach gets a chance to develop the list for the next big era of success.
He did mention he would do this in a presser this season (can't remember which one), and travelling to the US to study the big clubs, I was hoping he would do a Sheedy and take on our next gen of players, but he didn't. My negative to him. If he doesn't like the media much, then taking on GC is a huge risk and will gain more pressure than any Vic club if he doesn't take them to the finals. Let's see if he IS their coach first as there's still big rumours it could be someone else. Figgy is still lingering.....

Reactions: 1 user
Is it official yet?
Seems a few posters are tearing up their I heart Dimmasty posters and chucking them in the bin.
It all musta been planned.
Who thinks the AFL rang up Dimma and said "can you quit your job now and we'll get you another in 6 months"?
I know the AFL seems to hate us but causing the coach to leave an AFL club....

Reactions: 2 users
It's quite plausible that the Suns and the AFL contacted Dimmer's manager about coaching the Suns, hence he took the opportunity to get away for a well earned holiday and a refresh.
If that's the case, I bet they were sweating when the Suns had a stretch when they were 5 and 2. They defeated the Tigers, Dogs and the Crows and one of the two losses was to the Dee's by 5 points.

Is it official yet?
Seems a few posters are tearing up their I heart Dimmasty posters and chucking them in the bin.
It all musta been planned.
Who thinks the AFL rang up Dimma and said "can you quit your job now and we'll get you another in 6 months"?
I know the AFL seems to hate us but causing the coach to leave an AFL club....
I will always respect Dimma, but it'll wear out as time goes by if he becomes coach elsewhere again.

I always wonder how Tiger supporters older than me (56) felt watching Tommy coach that Scum of a club during the late 70s/early 80s.

I'll always have a soft spot for Mr Damien Hardwick, he did all he could with us, passed over the reigns when he couldn't do more, left on great terms with team, fans and admin. I don't even really care that he was lining up the Suns during all that time and maybe fast-tracked things so he could spend some of his millions on expensive OS tours, good luck to him.

Dont begrudge him having limited success elsewhere, such as the Suns for example.

Reactions: 4 users
i only read back 2 pages, so what I am about to say has probably been said, but i will say it anyway...

I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, but the suggestion that Dimma quit Richmond because the AFL wanted him at the Gold Coast is 100% plausible.

We know how the AFL operate and this smells of them being behind this.

But you know what? From our POV, I am OK with this. I think it was time for a change... I just hate the way the AFL goes about it. And I will lose my sh!t if Dimma takes any of our people with him.
Couldn't ever see Gil instigating this but Dillion is a Tiger. Might be his first play in the new job.

I've always liked him and when he coaches somewhere else I'll stick like him and wish him success (just not at the expense of the tiges).

We need Draft picks. Could be a big win if Hardwick wants some cattle.